News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

2. Yes, there are perhaps 1 or 2 parking spots directly in front of businesses on King, but there are dozens of spots a walk away east or west on King. For example, I may park in front of Pecaut Square, and then walk all the way to Peter Street to go to a restaurant. Now, I can't drive from Peter Street to Pecaut Square to find a parking spot, so I might decide not to eat on King.

You added this bit.

I've already addressed this. They were complaining about people having to walk from around the corner or presumably down the street. This is why I brought up the availability of space in front of any given property being limited to a few metres. How far is too far to walk? How many right or left turns is too many?

These folks are also acting like street parking down there is readily available when and where permitted.

Right.

Alright, I'm done, this shit hurts my head.

Does. Not. Compute.

I guess I'm never going to patronise another business I can't park within 30m of, everyone else is doing it.

Alright, I'm done, this shit hurts my head.

Does. Not. Compute.

I guess I'm never going to patronise another business I can't park within 30m of, everyone else is doing it.

But in suburbia on the other hand, you never hear drivers complain about how many metres they have to walk from their parking spot to the building. Weird how that works.

06.jpg

But in suburbia on the other hand, you never hear drivers complain about how many metres they have to walk from their parking spot to the building. Weird how that works.

06.jpg

And they would still have to (shudder) walk a good distance to reach a specific business once they get through the entrance door of only the mall.

The fact that politicians from distant, auto-centric suburbs even have a vote on the configuration of King shows how dysfunctional this city’s municipal structure is. For all I care, Etobicoke can double the size of every road - since I live in the core, how they run their suburb is none of my business. Just as King shouldn’t be the concern of the likes of Ford, Holyday and the rest of the frozen-in-the-fifties suburban brain trust.

The fact that politicians from distant, auto-centric suburbs even have a vote on the configuration of King shows how dysfunctional this city’s municipal structure is. For all I care, Etobicoke can double the size of every road - since I live in the core, how they run their suburb is none of my business. Just as King shouldn’t be the concern of the likes of Ford, Holyday and the rest of the frozen-in-the-fifties suburban brain trust.

Be careful with that approach. There are debates about building things on one side of the city that the other side of the city may have reason to question or challenge. Yes, it's a polarised debate, but it serves a purpose.

Having said that, if Mr Campbell is going to come downtown for a walkaround, one would hope that in the interest of objectivity and even-handedness he would talk to transit riders on King and not just restaurant owners or patrons.

- Paul

Be careful with that approach.
Indeed. It really has become polarized, and it will do so more. And much of it is needless. Where is the rest of Council on this? Obviously the majority voted for this Pilot, so they'd best become aware of what's necessary to shepherd it in the court of public opinion. Certainly a majority of the public support this, but to rely on that continuing is a reckless gamble. The Mayor and other Cnclrs should also be down on King talking to business owners, not just Cressy. Any successful business runs on getting in front of issues before they get out of hand. This is just PR 101.

It doesn't matter that the businesses may not have a case. Why not assure them of assistance, as simple as a two hour transfer on the King Car in the Core as a prelude to all of Toronto getting it in six months or so?

And some posters and councillors had better brace themselves in case the Moneris figures *do show* the businesses to be correct (I think it will, but not to the extent claimed).

This is being incredibly badly managed.

salsa, thanks for that.

It's all honestly enough to make a rational, thinking man break down in tears and go hide in a corner. I won't let them take my mind. They can have my parking spot though....I'll walk.

As a reference, here are the walking times and distances from those areas to Fred's Not Here, taken from Google Maps. This doesn't include private lots that are all around that area. Metro Hall has 1052 spots.

DSyiIr5W0AEOV6l.jpg:large

Great map! The walk from the outer end of a parking lot at Yorkdale or a GO Station is longer than many of those walks above. Who locates downtown to be among thousands of residents, office employees, entertainment options and sports venues, never mind excellent transit access, and then complains about street parking? Fred Luk has been complaining about change since at least 1999.

I wrote about this on my blog as well:

King Street complainers need to remember why they’re on King Street

Nooooo....I just moved to Mimic and think Lakeshore is fine as is. I wouldn't mind getting those streetcars back though.

Meanwhile....

Montreal’s famed Ste-Catherine Street to see at least three years of major construction

Phase one of the project is scheduled to be complete by 2021 with a second phase beginning after that. As business owners fear being caught in another construction nightmare, the city’s new administration promises things will be done differently from previous municipal governments.

See link.

ste_catherine_street_redesign.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x611.jpg

The construction on Ste-Catherine Street is needed primarily to replace the roughly 100-year-old underground infrastructure, but the city also plans to use the opportunity to expand sidewalks, plant more trees and offer free Wi-Fi access along the commercial strip. (City of Montreal)

Beginning on Monday, Montreal’s famous Ste-Catherine Street and the merchants along the busy commercial artery will be subjected to a familiar rite of passage in the metropolis: a major construction overhaul.

A 2.2-kilometre stretch of road will be transformed between Atwater Avenue, the historic former address of the old Montreal Forum, all the way east to the entrance of the entertainment district, where locals and tourists enjoy jazz, comedy and music festivals.

The construction is needed primarily to replace the roughly 100-year-old underground infrastructure, but the city also plans to use the opportunity to expand sidewalks, plant more trees and offer free Wi-Fi access along the commercial strip...

How about zero automobiles?

Back