News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Parking in downtown condos are disappearing. Parking in downtown office buildings are disappearing. Surface parking lots are disappearing. Street meter parking are disappearing.

Yet the some businesses along King Street are going against the flow. Why?

Parking in downtown condos are disappearing. Parking in downtown office buildings are disappearing. Surface parking lots are disappearing. Street meter parking are disappearing.

They are not "going against the flow" in the sense that THEY are providing parking. They are stuck in a pattern - which MAY have existed decades ago - where they expect people to come in their cars, parked outside and then ate (and drove home drunk). If they were smart (and the available evidence makes this unlikely) they would be busily promoting the wonderful fast and reliable public transit way to get to their restaurants.

Almost all my mates who've bought new condos downtown have got parking. At least two of them have no cars, so rent out their spots to folks that work nearby. I never have trouble finding either underground or on-street metered parking downtown. Actually, I can't think of any instance where I couldn't find a spot for my car, and it's almost always cheaper to drive my family downtown and pay for parking (since I already must own and operate the car) than taking the TTC.

They are not "going against the flow" in the sense that THEY are providing parking. They are stuck in a pattern - which MAY have existed decades ago - where they expect people to come in their cars, parked outside and then ate (and drove home drunk). If they were smart (and the available evidence makes this unlikely) they would be busily promoting the wonderful fast and reliable public transit way to get to their restaurants.

I think the problem is that some of them are stuck in the Old Spaghetti Factory mode when the foodie scene around them have moved on.

AoD

I would humbly suggest that if you operate a restaurant or shop in the densest neighborhood in Canada, if not all of North America outside of New York, and depend on customers who drive and park within a few meters for your establishment to survive — then it might be time for a new business model, or at least a new marketing strategy.

The more I watch this problem play out, the more I think, wow, how did everyone (TTC, pundits, sidewalk observers like us) miss that. Why weren't we talking about loop changes back when the order was placed? We knew enough to build a whole new maintenance base, but we didn't have the foresight to realise that the loops are just not right for the longer vehicles. It's not for lack of time to think this through. I don't have a long-articulated solution (Although I'm now proposing one, which is to extend the routes and build new loops somewhere up the road, and run through the subway stations instead of laying over in them). But it goes to show...sometimes we don't think of everything. No point in pointing fingers, just gotta put this on the list of things to fix retroactively.

- Paul
It probably would've been easier to buy vehicles that could go forward and backwards when the time came where all the legacy vehicles were eliminated, and then rebuild loops with crossover tracks to avoid needing spacious loops.

It probably would've been easier to buy vehicles that could go forward and backwards when the time came where all the legacy vehicles were eliminated, and then rebuild loops with crossover tracks to avoid needing spacious loops.
Nah, they could get 30m diameter turntables :p

Almost all my mates who've bought new condos downtown have got parking. At least two of them have no cars, so rent out their spots to folks that work nearby. I never have trouble finding either underground or on-street metered parking downtown. Actually, I can't think of any instance where I couldn't find a spot for my car, and it's almost always cheaper to drive my family downtown and pay for parking (since I already must own and operate the car) than taking the TTC.

Family Pass? Children Ride for Free? I always find that parking is 2-3* either of those, depending on the day, and especially south of Queen.

See the
Dundas West/ Bloor Mobility Hub +interconnected hub network (Metrolinx)
thread, via this link.

See also the
Dundas West - Bloor Mobility Hub
website, at this link.

View attachment 132262

The bad news is that those were from 2011, and still nothing has been done. Other than some real plans for an eastern entrance to the Dundas West Subway Station, but nothing about the old entrance. It's also missing tracks for a 40 JUNCTION bus replacement with streetcars.

Would this new loop even be connected to the Fare-Paid area?

Family Pass? Children Ride for Free? I always find that parking is 2-3* either of those, depending on the day, and especially south of Queen.
Saturdays, no family pass, 14 year old kids can’t ride free, and parking Green P south of Queen at Yonge for $10 to park for hours at Easton Centre.

We need to get out of the mindset of constantly criticizing these vocal businesses for being so dependent on customers that need to park. This is simply because of the point that has been made numerous times here: any business model that relies so heavily on parking immediately outside their location is totally flawed, so no long-time business owner on King can be so stupid.

There must be other factors at play here. I’ve listed some in an earlier message but I thought of another.

Perhaps a contributing factor to the (actually still unproven) drop in business on King is the inability of vehicles that drop off passengers on King but don’t park (taxis, Uber and friends/family) to have straight-line access through King. Perhaps people are avoiding King because getting there by car without actually parking is more difficult. Difficult enough to have an effect.

Should this be true, extending the exception for taxis and Ubers to earlier hours of the day would alleviate this and this would be worth testing out.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMO
Same issue at Dundas West. I recently was delayed by a good 10 minutes during the morning rush because the Flexity I was on couldn't pull into the station until another Flexity had cleared the 504 platform (with a CLRV in between)
I'm not as familiar with Dundas West, but I think you could do a lot with that station, with some paint and cones to increase the boarding area. For Broadview, at a minimum they'd have to rebuild the 504 exit, and push the platforms along to Erindale - and presumably move some of the bus roadway a bit too.

The more I watch this problem play out, the more I think, wow, how did everyone (TTC, pundits, sidewalk observers like us) miss that. Why weren't we talking about loop changes back when the order was placed? We knew enough to build a whole new maintenance base, but we didn't have the foresight to realise that the loops are just not right for the longer vehicles. It's not for lack of time to think this through.
Oh, they knew. I've been hassling them occasionally since the Flexity order was placed.

I don't have a long-articulated solution (Although I'm now proposing one, which is to extend the routes and build new loops somewhere up the road, and run through the subway stations instead of laying over in them). But it goes to show...sometimes we don't think of everything. No point in pointing fingers, just gotta put this on the list of things to fix retroactively.
As I said, I don't think Dundas West is tough. And if you look carefully at Broadview, you'll see that there are two curves to get the 504 to Erindale. You can turn that into 1 longer curver, if you move the curves further (map) east, lengthening the straight loading area.

And then 504 and 505 don't join until Erindale. Which means you can extend the platform around the curve, to near Erindale.

If you want to be really radical, you can just close Erindale completely, so the west end, is just east of the station. And then you've got tons of potential boarding area - though you might want to make the loop clockwise instead of counter clockwise, so that the car that's loading, is near the station.

Broadview doesn't have to be that expensive.

Union ... now that's going to be expensive.

(which of course means the TTC will actually be working on a $400 million underground design for Broadview that will lengthen each platform 22.5 metres).

Back