News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It better not. However, I can see barriers being put up, requiring them to be manually moved when a streetcar wants to enter the area.
how will such an arrangement allow private companies to set up tents on the public thoroughfare though?

Question, will the pilot project be suspended during TIFF?

John Tory already said that last year’s TIFF would be the final one where the street is closed to streetcars. He specifically cited the King Street Pilot.

I’m sure they can roll out red carpets and have a street festival with the widened sidewalks of the curb lane. Side streets like John and Ed Mirvish Way could be closed down entirely to allow for activities, music stages, etc. David Pecaut Square has been used increasingly to host red carpet events and last year, the street was closed entirely for a shorter time than previous years.

Says this week's plan.
Ok. So is that ALL streetcars? Or some? There are about 50 CLRV units in use at any given time. That is a lot of capacity for 504 and 7 or 8 for 503. Is 511 reverting to streetcars too? Somehow I can’t see 50 more streetcars on King.

Ok. So is that ALL streetcars? Or some? There are about 50 CLRV units in use at any given time. That is a lot of capacity for 504 and 7 or 8 for 503. Is 511 reverting to streetcars too? Somehow I can’t see 50 more streetcars on King.
Let's see 18 on 505 (though closer to 11, but the other 7 are extras on 504), 32 on 506 (and I did actually see 32 out in AM peak last week - I assume the lower numbers I was seeing before Christmas was that they didn't see the need to put all the extras out, with the reduced school traffic), and 12-14 on 512 still. (currently there's 24 scheduled, which is supposed to drop to 18 when it's all Flexity. They might be better off to go all Flexity now on 512, and replace those extra 6 Flexitys from 504, with 12 CLRVs.

So that's about 102 or so in AM peak? Plus usually about 45 Flexitys and 10-12 ALRVs. 159? Service summary says 165, so I've probably missed something.

With 501 returning to Humber Loop (not sure if that's February or in the Spring) ... well once they get all the way to Long Branch it will be 9 more cars; then 12 for Bathurst, 6 for 503. So 27 cars. Hmm, they free up 32 in peak from 506 along, 28 in off-peak. Why convert 505 to buses too? Though that is the only way Broadview station can handle all Flexity on 504, is if they are using both platforms.

Hmm ... either there's something more going onto this this then first apparent, or a hole bunch of CRLVs are going to the trash heap very soon.

Just how many do they hope to run on 504?

Why convert 505 to buses too? Though that is the only way Broadview station can handle all Flexity on 504, is if they are using both platforms.
Same issue at Dundas West. I recently was delayed by a good 10 minutes during the morning rush because the Flexity I was on couldn't pull into the station until another Flexity had cleared the 504 platform (with a CLRV in between)

Same issue at Dundas West. I recently was delayed by a good 10 minutes during the morning rush because the Flexity I was on couldn't pull into the station until another Flexity had cleared the 504 platform (with a CLRV in between)

The more I watch this problem play out, the more I think, wow, how did everyone (TTC, pundits, sidewalk observers like us) miss that. Why weren't we talking about loop changes back when the order was placed? We knew enough to build a whole new maintenance base, but we didn't have the foresight to realise that the loops are just not right for the longer vehicles. It's not for lack of time to think this through. I don't have a long-articulated solution (Although I'm now proposing one, which is to extend the routes and build new loops somewhere up the road, and run through the subway stations instead of laying over in them). But it goes to show...sometimes we don't think of everything. No point in pointing fingers, just gotta put this on the list of things to fix retroactively.

- Paul

Oh... I wasted too much of my time with her in an extensive “debate” and ended up blocking her when she made it clear that she wouldn’t accept demonstrable facts, studies and similar examples in other cities and just kept ranting on anyway despite being proven wrong. Some people have their mind made up and can’t be reasoned with.

She quoted my #KingStreetPilot tweet yesterday, and alluded to the fact that my opinion didn't really matter since I was an Urban Planning graduate (my twitter profile states that, so she didn't have to dig too far). Apparently having an educational background that supports an informed opinion negates me from having said opinion. I didn't even bother replying.

See the
Dundas West/ Bloor Mobility Hub +interconnected hub network (Metrolinx)
thread, via this link.

See also the
Dundas West - Bloor Mobility Hub
website, at this link.

Dundas West new loop maybe.jpg

The bad news is that those were from 2011, and still nothing has been done. Other than some real plans for an eastern entrance to the Dundas West Subway Station, but nothing about the old entrance. It's also missing tracks for a 40 JUNCTION bus replacement with streetcars.

Attachments

• Dundas West new loop maybe.jpg
    Dundas West new loop maybe.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 722
Last edited:
Pretty sure its a vocal few. There must be at least a hundred businesses on King, and it seems that the number that have been complaining in the media number less than 5 or 10.

I expect this pilot is particularly harmful for establishments that target weather individuals; the type of individual that must drive, because they wouldn't be caught dead in public transit.

That's still quite fascinating, as I believe there's a few large parking lots within walking distance. And honestly, most people who find parking on King are there for quite a while; a business that relies mostly on drive-up business doesn't seem to have their business figured out.

You're right, it's probably a vocal few.

Back