News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

^it is missing on me why this notion of the "suburbs" should care much about King Street being converted...can someone help me there?

Never underestimate the parochial, self-serving nature of many city councillors. If they can play to their constituents by grandstanding against "more luxuries for downtown" they'll do it, even if the project in question is actually remarkably cost-effective, and even if the project in question doesn't impact their own ward very much (see also: DMW killing the Fort York bridge, Pasternak demanding a "North York Relief Line" in every discussion, Mammoliti being Mammoliti, &c, &c).

Never underestimate the parochial, self-serving nature of many city councillors. If they can play to their constituents by grandstanding against "more luxuries for downtown" they'll do it, even if the project in question is actually remarkably cost-effective, and even if the project in question doesn't impact their own ward very much (see also: DMW killing the Fort York bridge, Pasternak demanding a "North York Relief Line" in every discussion, Mammoliti being Mammoliti, &c, &c).

That's true. Having said that though, the bike lanes on Richmond/Adelaide and Bloor both got approved for pilot projects. This is admittedly a step up from that, but I'm hopeful that those votes will be an indication. At the very least, the argument could be framed as "if the pilot project doesn't work, you can grandstand all you want saying "I told you so"."

What adHominem said. Another example was when DMW killed the bike lanes on Jarvis, even though they were nowhere near his particular suburb. For that matter, mention streetcars in front of the Fords and they start jumping up and down, screaming, and hurling feces.

King is a marquee street with a wide range of some of the city's best architecture spanning almost 200 years. Yup, a separate ROW for streetcars, bike lanes in both directions, and wide boulevards (and median?) is appropriate.

King is a marquee street with a wide range of some of the city's best architecture spanning almost 200 years. Yup, a separate ROW for streetcars, bike lanes in both directions, and wide boulevards (and median?) is appropriate.
It surely is, and with luminaries like Pasternak and Shiner on the case no doubt we'll get the North York Relief Line (it really is a thing) instead.

The announcement of the King Street Visioning Study was made just before some other major transit news (Scarborough Subway changes, SmartTrack changes). Regardless, I was surprised to see that it didn't receive a ton of press when it was announced.

It if it does happen it will be a major change to downtown, both in terms of public realm but really in terms of transit improvements (if streetcars get a ROW). Any ideas why where there was limited reporting on it? Is it because the details are so vague at this point?

It seems like a "small win" with the potential for a big impact, I hope it happens.

I'd love to see the new streetcars run is sets of 2 in the King Street Transit Mall. I (think) it is possible to do this.

I'd love to see the new streetcars run is sets of 2 in the King Street Transit Mall. I (think) it is possible to do this.

With the new cars, no, it's not possible to do this in service.

What the videos show is one car pulling or pushing a disabled one. The couplers are not designed to allow for full service operation - that is, propulsion, door, lighting, PA, etc. control.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The issue would be the sections of the King line outside of the transit mall. Running paired vehicles in mixed traffic would be quite difficult. Would be more efficient to just increase the frequency inside of the transit mall, potentially having the vehicles short turn at the end of it.

The issue would be the sections of the King line outside of the transit mall. Running paired vehicles in mixed traffic would be quite difficult. Would be more efficient to just increase the frequency inside of the transit mall, potentially having the vehicles short turn at the end of it.
As the map shows the line going from around Dufferin to Sumach (Cherry), one might be able to also put a ROW on Dufferin south of King to the loop, and running such a service simply along the 514 route rather than the 503, 504, and 508 routes.

Assuming they've figured out how to couple some together by then.

Last edited:
With the new cars, no, it's not possible to do this in service.

What the videos show is one car pulling or pushing a disabled one. The couplers are not designed to allow for full service operation - that is, propulsion, door, lighting, PA, etc. control.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This is surprising learning that we can't have the Outlooks operate in pairs. Seems like a missed opportunity to have not allowed that as a future possibility. And in the video when looking at the side of the second car, what's that duct taped to its side?

You are far off better by going to a 40-45m car than do this.

Number of issues for an ROW on Dufferin south of King.

Number of issues for an ROW on Dufferin south of King.
What are they?

South of Springhurst it's only ever been 2 lanes, so you don't create any serious bottlenecks only having 2 lanes of traffic south of King. Just replace the two lanes of parking and 2 lanes of traffic with 2 lanes of traffic and 2 lanes of ROW.

As the map shows the line going from around Dufferin to Sumach (Cherry), one might be able to also put a ROW on Dufferin south of King to the loop, and running such a service simply along the 514 route rather than the 503, 504, and 508 routes.

Assuming they've figured out how to couple some together by then.

That's a good point. I was working on the assumption that the transit mall would simply be to speed up existing routes, not necessarily to create a new 'overlap' route. I could see the pattern you propose being a rush-hour only type of service pattern.

Back