News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That's a good point. I was working on the assumption that the transit mall would simply be to speed up existing routes, not necessarily to create a new 'overlap' route. I could see the pattern you propose being a rush-hour only type of service pattern.
I don't think it would create a new route. The 514 is scheduled to start service on King from Cherry loop to Dufferin loop in about 18 weeks on June 19th, assuming the TTC board gives the final okay on March 23rd.

Sumach/Cherry is presumably to allow streetcars to loop back? Would the Dufferin Gates loop be able to accommodate a Flexity?
Why wouldn't it? It's a huge loop. If they can run them around Fleet loop, they can run them around all the existing loops. Besides, doesn't both the CLRV and ALRV swing out more than the Flexity?

Given the new 514 service this spring is running from Dufferin loop to Cherry loop, they are surely planning that it will be converted to Flexity.

I don't think it would create a new route. The 514 is scheduled to start service on King from Cherry loop to Dufferin loop in about 18 weeks on June 19th, assuming the TTC board gives the final okay on March 23rd.

I wasn't aware of that service. Admittedly, I haven't looked very deeply into the kind of service pattern that will exist on the Cherry St branch. In that case yes, the 514 would in essence act as that 'overlay' route.

I wasn't aware of that service. Admittedly, I haven't looked very deeply into the kind of service pattern that will exist on the Cherry St branch. In that case yes, the 514 would in essence act as that 'overlay' route.
They did the consultation last year:

I'm not sure this is final, but this is what they proposed at the time:

Why wouldn't it? It's a huge loop. If they can run them around Fleet loop, they can run them around all the existing loops. Besides, doesn't both the CLRV and ALRV swing out more than the Flexity?

Given the new 514 service this spring is running from Dufferin loop to Cherry loop, they are surely planning that it will be converted to Flexity.

I guess it's big enough; wasn't sure if the loop itself was in serviceable condition though.

I was just looking at a map and wondering about extending the tracks on Dufferin to just inside the CNE grounds and connecting with the Exhibition loop, but I imagine that's pretty improbable ...

I guess it's big enough; wasn't sure if the loop itself was in serviceable condition though.
504 streetcars short-turn there frequently. Looking at the Nextbus data right now, car 4040 just turned there a couple of minutes ago, and just turned from northbound Dufferin to eastbound King.

I was just looking at a map and wondering about extending the tracks on Dufferin to just inside the CNE grounds and connecting with the Exhibition loop, but I imagine that's pretty improbable ...
I thought that there was something in the various versions of the Waterfront West line to connect it - but I guess that depends where the bridge is carrying it over (or under) the Gardiner.

Looking at the 2011 approved EA for the replacement Dufferin Street bridges of the GO tracks and the Gardiner, - http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=22e68dd3f2ce1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

There is the allowance for:
  • Providing a 7.4 m wide raised centre median to accommodate future exclusive transit lanes as proposed in the TTC's Waterfront West Light Rail Transit plans
on the new bridge structures, with a temporary station at the SE corner of Dufferin (presumably if the WWLRT isn't built) and the Gardiner, and long-term station in the SW corner (presumably if it is built).

North to the bottom of the page:
upload_2016-2-16_16-33-21.png

upload_2016-2-16_16-32-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-16_16-32-40.png
    upload_2016-2-16_16-32-40.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 766
  • upload_2016-2-16_16-33-21.png
    upload_2016-2-16_16-33-21.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:

The current Waterfront Line will continue west along the rail corridor as is today and connect to the Lake Shore to the west. Tracks will be place on the new Dufferin bridge to connect to Dufferin St and the loop.

A new entrance will be built for the Ex to allow the line to go west.

Wish they'd woonerf Queen. That would be something.

They could probably move most of the parking to side streets and lots, restrict motor traffic to deliveries for several blocks and make it a transit mall/pedestrian zone ... but since Queen is more commercial than residential, it'd be a winkelstraat (shopping street) rather than a woonerf.

maxresdefault.jpg

The question is when will they do a test...this won't happen without a soft launch of some sort...I'd say TIFF makes sense, but the problem is that TIFF blocks the streetcars as well...maybe in the week leading up to TIFF and the week after TIFF...then expand it to all summer next year...

The question is when will they do a test...this won't happen without a soft launch of some sort...I'd say TIFF makes sense, but the problem is that TIFF blocks the streetcars as well...maybe in the week leading up to TIFF and the week after TIFF...then expand it to all summer next year...

I wonder if we will see an end to that this year as the TTC was really questioning it in 2015.

I hope you're not thinking about sharing one track for both directions as seen in that photo.
Zürich Is the same as above and duel tracks. Looking at the above photo, the tracks is going/from onto one way streets.
8114851676_027eef2882_k.jpg

Back