News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Toronto needs this badly. If ol' Gil had a chance of winning the mayoral election, it could've even been reality.
Absolutely not. In the suburbs they've done this and it makes zero sense. Cars waiting at 4am with no pedestrians. (Don't even seem them during rush hour either)

Downtown when would cars be able to turn at all? Pedestrians j walk

Absolutely not. In the suburbs they've done this and it makes zero sense. Cars waiting at 4am with no pedestrians
Wouldn't that be true of any traffic light, for someone going straight through?

Personally, the only time I've been hit by a car turning right-on-red, was at night in the suburbs. Sure, it will inconvenience a bit for a few - but if it saves lives, why not?

If there's pedestrians and cars everywhere when you have a green, I'd think that this would be worse when you have a red?

It works in some other big North American cities - not sure why it would an issue here.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. In the suburbs they've done this and it makes zero sense. Cars waiting at 4am with no pedestrians. (Don't even seem them during rush hour either)

Really? I thought in North America only NYC and Montréal (island) still banned right on red. Which GTA suburb has banned it?

Wouldn't that be true of any traffic light, for someone going straight through?

Personally, the only time I've been hit by a car turning right-on-red, was at night in the suburbs. Sure, it will inconvenience a bit for a few - but if it saves lives, why not?

If there's pedestrians and cars everywhere when you have a green, I'd think that this would be worse when you have a red?

It works in some other big North American cities - not sure why it would an issue here.
Yes but if your on a less busy street that only changes when it senses a car you might be waiting a long time for that right turn.

When will pedestrians cross? Normally I see people turn right when perpendicular traffic has a left turn signal. We'd either have basically nobody turning right on greens or have to spend tens of millions to add turn arrows to each light.
Really? I thought in North America only NYC and Montréal (island) still banned right on red. Which GTA suburb has banned it?
I'll rephrase, there are areas in Etobicoke with no right turns on a red. The right turn lane fills up and causes delays for no reason as there are very few pedestrians despite the area being re-designed for them.
Also this is Toronto and you'll have some ass from the straight lane block both the straight and turning lanes because the line up is so long making traffic even worse.

When will pedestrians cross? Normally I see people turn right when perpendicular traffic has a left turn signal. We'd either have basically nobody turning right on greens or have to spend tens of millions to add turn arrows to each light.
If it's the middle of the night, there shouldn't be right-on-red, except at very major intersections that already have arrows on every light. Just need to fix the programming.

But yes, might need some more right-on-red lights in spots.

I expect at some point in the past, someone said "you'd have to add pedestrian lights at every traffic light!"

If it's the middle of the night, there shouldn't be right-on-red, except at very major intersections that already have arrows on every light. Just need to fix the programming.

But yes, might need some more right-on-red lights in spots.

I expect at some point in the past, someone said "you'd have to add pedestrian lights at every traffic light!"
No right turn arrow where I've seen it. 2 pedestrians crossing means only 3 or 4 cars get through.
lights.PNG

I'll rephrase, there are areas in Etobicoke with no right turns on a red. The right turn lane fills up and causes delays for no reason as there are very few pedestrians despite the area being re-designed for them.
Also this is Toronto and you'll have some ass from the straight lane block both the straight and turning lanes because the line up is so long making traffic even worse.
  1. A few suburban intersections that have banned right on red has nothing to do with the transit efficiency, walkability, and pedestrian safety issues of downtown Toronto (where the King STP is).
  2. The goal of urban planning isn't to make driving as easy as possible at the expense of everyone else. No offence but no one cares that it's apparently hard for a car to drive into the core from Mississauga. It should be a lot harder.

1. A few suburban intersections that have banned right on red has nothing to do with the transit efficiency, walkability, and pedestrian safety issues of downtown Toronto (where the King STP is).
  2. The goal of urban planning isn't to make driving as easy as possible at the expense of everyone else. No offence but no one cares that it's apparently hard for a car to drive into the core from Mississauga. It should be a lot harder.
This attitude is why people are so hesitant for any change at all in the city.

Every change I've seen from traffic services is half baked. Remember the original king street debate?
If you want to improve transit by doing things like banning left turns see if there are lessons from other areas in the city that have done it.

This attitude is why people are so hesitant for any change at all in the city.

Every change I've seen from traffic services is half baked. Remember the original king street debate?
If you want to improve transit by doing things like banning left turns see if there are lessons from other areas in the city that have done it.
Banning right on red in Toronto would constitute change.

No right turn arrow where I've seen it. 2 pedestrians crossing means only 3 or 4 cars get through.View attachment 433131
The discussion was that if a lane had an advanced green (flashing green or green arrow) to turn left, you'd need to add more lights to turn right as well.

There are no left-hand turn lights here - so right-hand ones wouldn't be necessary.

Yeah, and if you want it to happen you'll have to convince people in the city it will be properly implemented from day 1. (Adding right turn arrow on every intersection)
Other than the few intersections that already have a left-turn light, I don't know why this would be useful. And I don't see this elsewhere.

No right turn arrow where I've seen it. 2 pedestrians crossing means only 3 or 4 cars get through.View attachment 433131
What is more important, Cars or Pedestrians??

How many Pedestrians are crossing that intersection today??

Seen there is no right turn sing all over the place and nothing new for the past number of decades.

Right now, TTC only has one bus using the curb lane every 30 minuets.

miWay has their 26 route turning at that intersection every 15-35 minutes depending on the day and time of day.

Back