News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I am often driving it at the same time....and I agree.....pleasantly surprised by how little impact it has had on Adelaide traffic (it’s not zero impact....but not far off).....I actually found myself wondering where the people who used to drive on King actually went.
They were all stopped, so there weren't many to begin with

I am often driving it at the same time....and I agree.....pleasantly surprised by how little impact it has had on Adelaide traffic (it’s not zero impact....but not far off).....I actually found myself wondering where the people who used to drive on King actually went.

The parking on King actually exaggerated the perception of the number of cars on the road. The rush hour traffic got dispersed and likely a segment of those drivers decided to take transit or avoid unnecessary trips. This, of course, is the entire point.

I'll add that while I am cycling I often look in the cars, and over 90% of them are single-occupant vehicles. I am hoping the pilot discourages them from bringing their cars into the core.

From TO Transport's Twitter:

Our crews have started placing planters along King to delineate new public spaces! Installation will continue along the #KingStreetPilot stretch over the next few months. Learn more @ http://bit.ly/2zYlhVc

I know they wanted to get the pilot up and running as quickly as possible, but I do find the sequencing/rollout pretty strange (i.e. they're still doing stuff I would've thought they'd plan to do from the start).
I thought I saw somewhere, that the planters had been delivered later than they'd want.

Not sure about that gap between the planters and the line on the road.

Will it make cyclists think they own that piece of the road"

I'll add that while I am cycling I often look in the cars, and over 90% of them are single-occupant vehicles. I am hoping the pilot discourages them from bringing their cars into the core.
I am mostly a single occupant......and I haven’t seen anything that will encourage me to change my current commuting pattern/balance (over the course of a year ~75% driving/25% transit at present)

hell I commute from one end of the core to the other and drive probably 20% of the time. All depends on the day, and particularly the weather for me. Biking ain't nice in crappy weather.

I too have need to travel across the core twice weekly. 5pm King and Bathurst to Lesley and Lakeshore. Before the pilot it would take a minumum of 15 minutes to drive down Bathurst to Lakeshore. Since the pilot started traffic southbound on King to Lakeshore has all but disappeared. Where the traffic used to back up to Niagara and sometimes Wellington. I now make it to the other side of the bridge where traffic is slowed for traffic turning onto Fort York Blvd. Has been taking less than 5 minutes to get to lake shore. Almost civilized driving to the east end across the bottom of the city.

I emailed the King Street Pilot team and got this reply.

Using a no-entry sign on a two-way street like King will confuse motorists so we opted against using it in the design. Rather, we are now reviewing the feasibility of installing more through prohibition signs on primary overhead poles, or even behind the barriers at driver's eye height level.

Use of white transit bars to permit through movements were studied during the design phase. However, under the current TTC policy system-wide, this display allows operators to make protected left of right turns, but not proceed straight through the intersection. While this continues to be an option, it will require a longer time frame to implement on King Street because of changes to the legislative framework and re-programming of all other existing white transit bars in the City.

LED blank-out signs are also being considered to supplement the static traffic signs, but it will likely take longer to implement due to complex installation and re-programming requirements. The cost of installing LED signs is also expensive and needs to be considered in the context of a pilot project.

Gateway signs had been installed at 12 locations, and they are meant to alert motorists that through movements are not allowed on King Street. I believe there are two on King/Strachan and King/Parliament. The others are at several intersections on Queen Street and Front Street.

Use of white transit bars to permit through movements were studied during the design phase. However, under the current TTC policy system-wide, this display allows operators to make protected left of right turns, but not proceed straight through the intersection. While this continues to be an option, it will require a longer time frame to implement on King Street because of changes to the legislative framework and re-programming of all other existing white transit bars in the City.

Someone had best have a talk with City Planning:
upload_2017-11-23_10-47-20.png

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbook/bus/section4-2-7.shtml

The point was already clearly made in this forum with prior references directly from the HTA.

I take issue albeit with varying degree to every other point made in their reply, but the "legislative framework" quip truly irks me.
LED blank-out signs are also being considered to supplement the static traffic signs, but it will likely take longer to implement due to complex installation and re-programming requirements.
According to @MetroMan (IIRC?) there was *already one at Spadina* and it was removed to put up a passive one for the pilot. I wonder what their excuse is for that one? And just how much is it going to cost to keep the police presence habitual compared to the "cost" of programming LED lights? A Red Light Camera would be a hell of a lot cheaper in the long-term, and far more comprehensive as per results and fines...which is exactly why the City uses them at approx 40 locations and counting.

I'd love to have a face-to-face with whomever it is writing the replies to emailed queries. Perhaps Byford isn't running to NYC so much as running away from Toronto?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-23_10-47-20.png
    upload_2017-11-23_10-47-20.png
    209.6 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Using a no-entry sign on a two-way street like King will confuse motorists so we opted against using it in the design. Rather, we are now reviewing the feasibility of installing more through prohibition signs on primary overhead poles, or even behind the barriers at driver's eye height level.

"The signs aren't working. So do you know what we need? MOAR SIGNS!"

It’s come to my attention that a group of King St. businesses is planning a protest and looking for photos of an empty street and empty streetcars. I was asked to participate.

We have to be prepared that the car lobby will be organizing against the King Street Pilot. Let’s have facts ready. See a busy streetcar? Share it. See a restaurant with a lineup? Share it. Lets capture the little successes.

It’s come to my attention that a group of King St. businesses is planning a protest and looking for photos of an empty street and empty streetcars. I was asked to participate.

We have to be prepared that the car lobby will be organizing against the King Street Pilot. Let’s have facts ready. See a busy streetcar? Share it. See a restaurant with a lineup? Share it. Lets capture the little successes.
Though this is a good idea, I think that EVEN IF there is less business at certain restaurants (which I find hard to believe) the streetcar service is CLEARLY much better. Is the 'convenience' of a fairly small number of restaurant patrons and owners more important that that of ^60,000+ transit users?

I think they are planning BETTER signage not necessarily More. The current signs are confusing and in general not easy to pick out of the background. What would YOU do?
The current black and white with small letters needs to be upgrade to a colorer that stands out, especially the lettering until LED signs can be had.

I think they are planning BETTER signage not necessarily More. The current signs are confusing and in general not easy to pick out of the background. What would YOU do?
Here's what's been on the Ministry's books for years:
upload_2017-11-23_12-58-4.png

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbook/bus/section4-2-7.shtml

Include the green directional arrow sequenced with separate and cyclist lights, and signs aren't necessary, albeit optional. The present ones could stay. Include the Red Light Camera option and cops are minimally needed too. This would actually *pay for itself* (and show a surplus, as it has in many jurisdictions) and be far more effective enforcement.

What's not to like about that besides some posters blocking information that they're oblivious to?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-23_12-58-4.png
    upload_2017-11-23_12-58-4.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 631

Back