News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

that photo is about a year old... walmart has done a lot of work to the exterior, including new paint, cladding in some areas, and revising the doorways.
That being said, this is the best part of the mall! the brick forms jutting out and hovering over the mall's surroundings create something spatially interesting, as opposed to the brick box and band windows that make up the rest of the facade. the brick choice, with its variegation, is an engaging enough material to keep these masses feeling tactile and interesting to the eye, as opposed to a more contemporary approach of EIFS or machine-made uniform brick. the entrances also used to have this lovely orange-red glazed tile around them that was a lovely colour to see, especially in the winter. the high gloss with small inclusions was a really welcome detail as well.
It was very of it's time, but I found the Sears wing, especially in it's original state (ignoring that dreadful pediment thing on the East side) a lovely, subtle bit of brutalist massing, with a strong sense of materiality and tactile engagement; something newer buildings don't have. Interacting with the Sears facades always felt like encountering something a little bit unique or special, contrasted with the rest of the mall.
That being said, that's all a moot point. I don't have current photos, but I'm by there every couple weeks. it's all painted light grey, Walmart blue in a could places, new cladding in a few places, and a bunch of clumsy signage will sure muddle up the rest as work progresses.

More recent picture
20220407_090812_HDR.jpg

It's about as attractive as Gene Dub's original cone design for City Hall.
Meh. We've moved on from that provincial town habit of thinking all architecture has to be popular. It has to be good but popularity for civic buildings is kind of irrelevant. I like the current City Hall and I like the original proposal too. Your point is not coming across here. Again, Wallmart has repainted this now anyway, you were commenting on an old photo.

Meh. We've moved on from that provincial town habit of thinking all architecture has to be popular. It has to be good but popularity for civic buildings is kind of irrelevant. I like the current City Hall and I like the original proposal too. Your point is not coming across here. Again, Wallmart has repainted this now anyway, you were commenting on an old photo.
What does the repainting have to do with anything? The building facades are still jarringly asymmetrical, the exterior still looks clunky and has chunks "cut" out of it and added to it elsewhere. Still one of the ugliest buildings in Edmonton.

Good God! Another reason to NEVER shop at Wallmart. Corporate identity vis-a-vis a color scheme is one thing; destroying architecture in the process is unforgivable! This project is one that should have been picketed -- what an abomination!
What did they destroy, for the most part they just changed the colours. At least that's all that I can perceive.

I think the exterior aged very well compared to other malls in the city. It could use some windows and signs though.
I remember walking out of that store late 70’s early 80’s as a kid and seeing Canadian Airlines 737’s landing/taking off….thinking Wow! What a big city mall….what a big city……

Back