News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

My request was for you to summarize the story, rather than simply posting a link to an article without telling us what the point is.

Agreed. I've changed the title.

(Though it was tempting to change it to "Privatized city service fails to deliver on promised revenue generation")

I don't think the ice time is the problem -- it's bringing in higher revenues than expected. The issue is the debt (interest rates are rising, loans are coming due) and the failure to rent out commercial space in the complex.

If the city takes over, the debt can be reissued at a lower rate which will at least allow things to stabilize.

Either way, I'm not sure this qualifies as a 'debacle.'

I don't think they would get any lower interest rate than is currently on the thing.....the reason the city is considering taking over is because they already guaranteed the debt....so if the thing goes bust they are on the hook anyway....that guarantee was likely given to lower the interest rate on the debt to the level the city would pay anyway.

The issue with rinks is simple.....they cost a lot to build....the more of that is in the form of debt the harder it is to make it work......it is pretty easy to rent ice in prime time during the winter for $300 per hour....but a lot of your ice (summer ice is aplenty, daytime ice is not in demand no matter what the season) cannot generate that sort of revenue and some of it cannot generate any revenue at all. Lots of plans/proformas include how to maximize revenue by utilizing that non-productive ice....it just does not work that well at all.

I think nfitz's Sun-boycott is a little heavy-handed.

But that said, I agree there's a big whack of irony here, because the new Lakeshore Lions is *exactly* the kind of boondoggle one'd expect from a Ford Nation regime and mindset--right down to its no-frills, Giffels design-build banality, the antithesis of the Miller regime's multidecker-crystalline dreams for the Portlands...

I have an issue with this, because its essentially the same philosophy that we've been seeing more and more of lately. This is the philosophy of "privatize profits, socialize losses".

Its got to stop. Why should the public foot the bill when things go wrong, but a few individuals get filthy rich when things go right? Makes no sense

I think nfitz's Sun-boycott is a little heavy-handed.

But that said, I agree there's a big whack of irony here, because the new Lakeshore Lions is *exactly* the kind of boondoggle one'd expect from a Ford Nation regime and mindset--right down to its no-frills, Giffels design-build banality, the antithesis of the Miller regime's multidecker-crystalline dreams for the Portlands...

I've been boycotting the Sun since the late 80's. Those f&%kers won't get a cent from me.

Do you remember why?
Because it's a badly written newspaper - written at an intellectual level that only a moron could appreciate.

Though the recent trend to taking cash payments from politicians for supporting their positions is unfortunate ... though not surprising given that the Toronto Sun has turned much of their building into a grocery store. Joe Warmington ... clean-up on Aisle 4!

Do you remember why?

The editor hung up on me when I called to complain (politely) about a homophobic article. The Sun was very anti gay back in the 80's. After that, I stopped giving them my money. I wasn't going to pay a company who tried to make me feel like crap. It really effected me at the time.

Yeah, and the fact that it's written for people who don't like to read. Have you seen their web site? It gives you 2 options in reading their articles. You can click to read the whole article (which is usually pretty short) or you can click on quick read, which shortens the article to a few paragraphs. I wonder which one most of their readers choose? I bet the quick read, after seeing the reader's mis-informed comments.

I think the Sun hit bottom about two years ago when they published that ridiculous map of Toronto on the front page that identified "Bloore", "Eglington", "St. Claire" among others, most of which were in the wrong spot. How could you make that many mistakes on a city map? I guess a combination of no editing and no one actually knowing much about the city.

Although the front page treatment is sometimes a little cringeworthy I find the SUN an interesting read, good columnists who generally (but not always) echo my feelings on Toronto current affairs and an excellent sports section. I understand their mission, as they see it, and read it in that light.

I find the STAR to be a pompous, self righteous and whiny affair but accepting that as a given I also read it daily. Their columnists rarely stray from the party line and can be interesting from time to time. Excellent comics.

Newspapers exist to make a profit, circulation is important and to build and maintain it you must print what people want to read (and buy). I know that the STAR appears to outsell the SUN by a huge margin but my Spidey sense asks the question that if the STAR is such a winner why do I have their people knocking on my door and telephoning me with free papers or thrusting them in my face at the Mall when I have never been approached in the same manner by the other Dailies?

Newspapers exist to make a profit, circulation is important and to build and maintain it you must print what people want to read (and buy). I know that the STAR appears to outsell the SUN by a huge margin but my Spidey sense asks the question that if the STAR is such a winner why do I have their people knocking on my door and telephoning me with free papers or thrusting them in my face at the Mall when I have never been approached in the same manner by the other Dailies?

Funny; my household gets a lot of free-delivery calls re the Sun More by way of saying: there's likely more "parity" btw/the Sun and the Star than you think...

Although the front page treatment is sometimes a little cringeworthy I find the SUN an interesting read, good columnists ...
Good columnists ... are you kidding me? It's like reading the orgasmic fantasies of neo-nazis.

Next thing you'll be saying is that Rob Ford isn't a lying alcoholic drug-using bigot - and is actually an intelligent human being.

Back