News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

laneway-007.jpg

laneway-008.jpg

My first foray into something akin to laneway suites were the garage suites in an experimental Oakville neighbourhood (Oak Park). Built in the late 1990’s, it was at attempt at urban density without retail or other walkable options until relatively recently with more construction connecting the neighbourhood to large retail parking lots. But for a good 10-15 years there were several rows of dense housing surrounded by empty fields, single family houses, and stroads with large parking lot retail. The garage suites are probably just single rooms but maybe some might have multiple rooms?

Halton region takes up so much space and does house many people; if municipal priorities change, they could tap into so much potential for walkable, dense neighbourhoods.

IMG_4171.png

IMG_4170.png

My first foray into something akin to laneway suites were the garage suites in an experimental Oakville neighbourhood (Oak Park). Built in the late 1990’s, it was at attempt at urban density without retail or other walkable options until relatively recently with more construction connecting the neighbourhood to large retail parking lots. But for a good 10-15 years there were several rows of dense housing surrounded by empty fields, single family houses, and stroads with large parking lot retail. The garage suites are probably just single rooms but maybe some might have multiple rooms?

Halton region takes up so much space and does house many people; if municipal priorities change, they could tap into so much potential for walkable, dense neighbourhoods.

View attachment 523370
View attachment 523371
I have a friend who lives in one of those "new urbanism" developments in the Cornell area of Markham and I've noticed a number of people are adding suites to the laneway garages. In fact checking out Google Maps shows that some have existed for years now. I was surprised to see them.

Untitled3.jpg

Back