News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I thought Costco on Overlea was a done deal.
well, something is

there was a crew out last week on the *north* side of thorncliffe park drive in behind the coca-cola plant... taking geologic/soil samples in preparation for a parking lot (there's just grass/scrub there now)

and inside the coca-cola grounds, they've finished demolishing the old plant building(s), and are slowly crushing (crushing!!) the concrete (see right side of picture) into gravel (see left side of picture)

concrete-to-gravel.jpg

Attachments

• concrete-to-gravel.jpg
    concrete-to-gravel.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 794
I go by the site often and the work seems to be moving at a snail's pace. They usually have one machine tearing things down and a shovel loading up a dump truck. Many days when I go by there isn't anything going on at all even if the weather is nice.

Can anyone recommend a good planner that can plead a case to the Committee of Adjustments in Leaside?

Many thanks

The construction in the area is terrible! My office is surrounded by it and it took an hour to get home yesterday instead of the usual 20 minutes.

The construction in the area is terrible! My office is surrounded by it and it took an hour to get home yesterday instead of the usual 20 minutes.
don't worry, 'cause if Parker is elected, he'll build the Leaside Bypass along Redway Road from Eglinton/Leslie to the Bayview extension

if you detected sarcasm in that statement, well done

where's your office, where's your home, and were you on a bus?

don't worry, 'cause if Parker is elected, he'll build the Leaside Bypass along Redway Road from Eglinton/Leslie to the Bayview extension

if you detected sarcasm in that statement, well done

where's your office, where's your home, and were you on a bus?

I work at the Salvation Army building on Overlea and live in Ward 37. At the time, I was in a car, but do take the bus sometimes.

I work at the Salvation Army building on Overlea and live in Ward 37. At the time, I was in a car, but do take the bus sometimes.
don mills 25 to lawrence?

by the way, from leaside i cut through the back of the masonic temple building (on my bike) to get to bannigan and then to thorncliffe park drive a couple times a week, avoiding overlea altogether

Yes, I take that bus to Pape station. My parents work there too and live close to me, so I go with them unless they are on vacation. The traffic was a bit better today, but still jammed in places.

Update on the Beer Store location from yesterday:

IMG680.jpg

You can see the Whole Foods crane in the distance. It's been moving constantly back and forth 7 days a week ever since it was brought to the site. I haven't actually visited the site since it started but I can imagine they're making progress.

Attachments

• IMG680.jpg
    IMG680.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 505
Update on the Beer Store location from yesterday:

You can see the Whole Foods crane in the distance. It's been moving constantly back and forth 7 days a week ever since it was brought to the site. I haven't actually visited the site since it started but I can imagine they're making progress.

Yeah the Whole Foods site is flying up. It's at ground level all around now, though some parts of the site are hard to see. Has it been determined what's going in at the Beer Store site?

And yes, traffic on Overlea is a a total fucking nightmare. Our daughter goes to daycare in Thorncliffe Park and my wife took an hour to drive the 4 km round-trip. It usually takes maybe 15 min. It would have been considerably faster to walk there. On Sunday we couldn't get out of the neighborhood because traffic was so bad at Bermondsey and Overlea both. We turned back from an attempted trip to Costco. They really should have waited with the Overlea construction until Eglinton was back up and running at full tilt again, or done it beforehand.

/rant mode off

Yah traffic was pretty bad the past few days. I had to wait 45 minutes outside the garage waiting for my dad to return with groceries from Sunny in Flemingdon Park. He said Eglinton was packed on his way there so he wanted to take Overlea and Millwood instead, bad move.

Today had significant progress at the Beer Store site, so I decided to post another update:

IMG682.jpg
IMG684.jpg

I think the Beer Store is returning, though I could be wrong. So it is apparent by now that the new Beer Store is pushed up in line with Metro, taking over some of that parking lot. I wonder if there will be parking behind the new building.

Attachments

• IMG682.jpg
    IMG682.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG684.jpg
    IMG684.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
leaside sunset, millwood road approaching overlea
(sign blown over says "expect major delays")

sunset-on-millwood.jpg

Attachments

• sunset-on-millwood.jpg
    sunset-on-millwood.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 627

Back