News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It is why and that's disappointing that 'WE' take away such wonderful assets in favour of something like a spray park. It's better than nothing, but not exactly fitting for the provincial capital's front steps/plaza and far from as enjoyable when it is +30.

Canada Day Programming​

Canada Day Welcome Ceremony (Noon to 12:30 p.m.)​

Join Rob Clark, the Edmonton Oilers official anthem singer, at the Main Stage on Violet King Henry Plaza for the singing of O Canada to kick off the day’s festivities with a land acknowledgement from Elder Bert Auger and official remarks from provincial leaders and Her Honour, the Honourable Salma Lakhani, AOE, BSc, LLD (Hon), Lieutenant Governor of Alberta.

Main Stage (1 to 5 p.m.)​

Located on Violet King Henry Plaza just south of the Queen Elizabeth II Building, the Main Stage will feature some of Alberta’s best contemporary music, including performances by Kaeley Jade, Jacquie Daniels and closing with headliners Captain Tractor at 4 p.m.

South Stage (1 to 5 p.m.)​

Located on the Legislature south bandshell, the South Stage will showcase our province’s cultural landscape through the music and dance of some of Alberta’s best multicultural performers, including Portuguese music and dance, Tae Kwon Do, Indian dancing and roots music.

Alberta Family Fun Zone (12 to 5 p.m.)​

The Alberta Family Fun Zone, located on the south grounds, will feature fun and interactive entertainment throughout the day, including Cree storytelling, magicians, balloon-twisting, crafts, a science show and circus performers.

Roving Entertainment (1 to 5 p.m.)​

Enjoy Edmonton’s premier brass band, the Brasstactics, plus jugglers, circus acts and puppetry performers roving throughout the Alberta Legislature Grounds.

Legislature Chamber Open House (12:30 to 4:30 p.m.)​

The Legislature Chamber floor is open to the public only on Canada Day. Ascend the grand staircase to see where it all happens! See where each MLA sits and marvel at the Chamber’s iconic architecture. Don’t forget to visit the Legislature Library and explore strange objects like the hamburger that was tabled in 1969.

Legislative Assembly Visitor Centre (11 a.m. to 5 p.m.)​

The Legislative Assembly Visitor Centre on the main floor of the Queen Elizabeth II Building is open to the public on Canada Day. Visitors can enjoy the film Our People Our Province in the Pehonan Theatre, explore the Democracy Discovery Centre, shop Capital Gifts (debit or credit only, no cash) and enjoy the Service, Ceremony and Tradition: The Diamond Jubilee Portrait in Alberta exhibit in the Borealis Gallery.

Getting to the Alberta Legislature Grounds​

Public transportation is recommended as road closures will be in effect and parking will not be available near the Legislature Grounds. Riding a bicycle is also a great option as bike racks are located all around the Alberta Legislature Grounds for the convenience of visitors.

Enjoying the Day​

Visitors are encouraged to come prepared to enjoy the day. Pack sunscreen, bug spray and lawn chairs and dress according to the weather. A variety of food trucks and food stands will be stationed around the Legislature Grounds. Washroom facilities are available.

For additional event details please visit assembly.ab.ca/visit/events/canada-day. Follow the Legislative Assembly on Facebook, X and Instagram for updates during the day.

Anyone check out the newly updated space? Thoughts? I saw a few photos of kids playing in the 6" of water and they seemed to be having fun, but I am curious to know more.

Anyone check out the newly updated space? Thoughts? I saw a few photos of kids playing in the 6" of water and they seemed to be having fun, but I am curious to know more.
I bike through the area most days and it seems very well used so far. I think it's a bit disappointing because most of the changes in Phase 1 are under the hood.
Catching the mist off the fountain on a hot bike commute is nice.
Kids are using the pool and having fun and it's good to have the public space back - I would have opted for a deeper wading pool or a more imaginative redesign of the space but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Curious to see how Phase 2 shapes out:

Screen Shot 2024-07-12 at 11.09.07 AM.png

I bike through the area most days and it seems very well used so far. I think it's a bit disappointing because most of the changes in Phase 1 are under the hood.
Catching the mist off the fountain on a hot bike commute is nice.
Kids are using the pool and having fun and it's good to have the public space back - I would have opted for a deeper wading pool or a more imaginative redesign of the space but I'm not losing sleep over it.

I've walked by the past two (hot) days and it was quite busy with kids/families playing in the water. When warehouse park is open, I wonder what option young families will choose more often?

I've walked by the past two (hot) days and it was quite busy with kids/families playing in the water. When warehouse park is open, I wonder what option young families will choose more often?
As a father to a young daughter, I can tell you that anything with a water feature almost always wins out when choosing where to spend a day outdoors during the summer. She'll run through a sprinkler on an overcast 17 degree day.

Back