News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Those are some of the worst BRT shelters i've ever seen in my life. Who did London contact for the designs, Metrolinx?

Metrolinx has a history of giving the stick to large cities, while giving suburban areas gracious and nice designs. But yes you're right, in that they are marginally better than the Eglinton Crosstown "shelters".

A) They look better than Line 5 at least
B) Metrolinx was also in charge of VivaNext and those shelters are pretty damn good.
the VivaNext shelters are incredibly overbuilt and overly expensive. That whole program is a gigantic waste of money. A case of urban designers run wild with nobody telling them "no".

Londons are clearly run on much more of a budget, maybe a little bit too much, but are more reasonable.

the VivaNext shelters are incredibly overbuilt and overly expensive. That whole program is a gigantic waste of money. A case of urban designers run wild with nobody telling them "no".

Londons are clearly run on much more of a budget, maybe a little bit too much, but are more reasonable.

Viva's shelters/stations don't strike me as a problem.

The problems with Viva related to inadequate service levels justifying said infrastructure investment.

Infrastructure should be built for optimal function, comfort and aesthetic value within a context of ecologically responsible design choices.

In the context of a bus waiting area, in a region with a winter climate; I want to see the availability of shelter from the elements, optional or limited heating, snow melt systems if platforms are subject to snow, comfortable if durable seating, waste/recyling receptacles, lighting, and, ideally, a drinking fountain. There should also be a section w/tinted glass and/or shade for hot summer days.

If it costs $200,000 per stop, I have no issues with that.

Converting every existing stop to that standard is a generational, if not cross-generational project, and I would only support those investments during road reconstruction or the like.

But when building new, why not aim for comfort and style?

I'm not suggest opulence, nothing plated in gold or granite.

Just excellence, rather than mediocrity.

Viva's shelters/stations don't strike me as a problem.

The problems with Viva related to inadequate service levels justifying said infrastructure investment.

Infrastructure should be built for optimal function, comfort and aesthetic value within a context of ecologically responsible design choices.

In the context of a bus waiting area, in a region with a winter climate; I want to see the availability of shelter from the elements, optional or limited heating, snow melt systems if platforms are subject to snow, comfortable if durable seating, waste/recyling receptacles, lighting, and, ideally, a drinking fountain. There should also be a section w/tinted glass and/or shade for hot summer days.

If it costs $200,000 per stop, I have no issues with that.

Converting every existing stop to that standard is a generational, if not cross-generational project, and I would only support those investments during road reconstruction or the like.

But when building new, why not aim for comfort and style?

I'm not suggest opulence, nothing plated in gold or granite.

Just excellence, rather than mediocrity.
The issue with viva is those stations cost a wee bit more than $200k. Probably closer to $2 million. At a certian point you have to question if the same quality infrastructure can be delivered at a better price. You could easily have constructed similar shelters with heated areas, etc. for a much lower cost.

The issue with viva is those stations cost a wee bit more than $200k. Probably closer to $2 million. At a certian point you have to question if the same quality infrastructure can be delivered at a better price. You could easily have constructed similar shelters with heated areas, etc. for a much lower cost.

How the hell do you get 2M out of that? (not you personally, LOL, I mean that as an absolute question)

I mean, I'd be prepared to go 400k, in as much as a 'station' is 2 stops (one in each direction). But 2M??

For 2 million dollars I'd expect Lay-Z Boy chairs in my climate-controlled bus shelter with huge 4K TVs showing premium content to pass the time along with private washrooms.

Rapid transit is new to London. Anything more than a large bus shelter would be considered a huge waste of money.

If this is supposed to be a rapid route, shouldn't it have a frequency that negates waiting in a bus stop?

If this is supposed to be a rapid route, shouldn't it have a frequency that negates waiting in a bus stop?

Other bus routes connect here as well. Frequencies for other routes can be 30-60 mins so if you just miss your bus, you could be stuck here for a while.

How the hell do you get 2M out of that? (not you personally, LOL, I mean that as an absolute question)

I mean, I'd be prepared to go 400k, in as much as a 'station' is 2 stops (one in each direction). But 2M??

The steelwork alone is about $1mil per shelter. Then you have to factor in the glass, conduit, electrical and infotech systems, concrete, benches, tiling, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that each single stop - not pair of stops - has north of $3mil invested in its construction, not including all of the other construction required for the transitways.

Dan

I don't disagree with you. I'm just pointing out that it is also a "metrolinx project"

The stations are rather plain but still decent and functional. Also, unlike VIVA, the frequency will be there. These 2 routes already run more than every 10 minutes during the day and every 6 minutes in rush hour and that frequency will increase. London's BRT will also be faster as it won't have near as many stations as VIVA , making it reasonably fast.

Back