News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

ah London- the 'do nothing' city that will throw $120 million of funding out the window.

I hope Waterloo and Hamilton take most of the growth in Southwestern Ontario going forward. London is quickly becoming a backwards overgrown surburb. And the folks who live there seem determined to keep it that way.

A suburb with no freeways mind you. No wide roads either. Just nothing.

I hope Waterloo and Hamilton take most of the growth in Southwestern Ontario going forward. London is quickly becoming a backwards overgrown surburb. And the folks who live there seem determined to keep it that way.

Hamilton just barely avoided torpedoing their own LRT multiple times, so I'm not sure they're much more sensible than London...

KW seem to have their shit together however.

What other explanation is there for refusing to build a transit system when the province and feds are offering to pay for 70% of it?
Unfortunately they are in the mid-sized city trap, where what they can afford, even with 70% from elsewhere, doesn't improve trip times or service levels much (the old plan), because they don't have the resources available to clear bottlenecks, or provide adequate ROW protection. Better bus service, and funding it through renewing the bus fleet to all electric using that 70%, would be useful. As would putting in the at least the highest pirority of the 25 queue-jump facilities identified in the London 2030 Transportation Master Plan. Incrementalism.

In what way? I don't follow happenings outside southern Ontario for the most part.
They've spent most of the last 12 years talking about a potential LRT with a very vocal opposition that has the ear of the provincial government. Now that they had finally agreed on a route, a technology and the funding (including an 800M loan from the city of Montreal to speed up the project), the provincial government decided to change the route and then complained about increasing costs. It will cost 4 billion and be ready in 2028.

They're also working on a project to build the longest road tunnel in north america across the river to a suburb that doesn't need it, with 6 traffic lanes and one transit lane, arguing that it is carboneutral because it will be mostly electric cars that use it by the time it's finished. It will cost 10 billion and should open around 2030...

They've spent most of the last 12 years talking about a potential LRT with a very vocal opposition that has the ear of the provincial government. Now that they had finally agreed on a route, a technology and the funding (including an 800M loan from the city of Montreal to speed up the project), the provincial government decided to change the route and then complained about increasing costs. It will cost 4 billion and be ready in 2028.

They're also working on a project to build the longest road tunnel in north america across the river to a suburb that doesn't need it, with 6 traffic lanes and one transit lane, arguing that it is carboneutral because it will be mostly electric cars that use it by the time it's finished. It will cost 10 billion and should open around 2030...

Fascinating. Got a link handy? I'd love to read more.

Fascinating. Got a link handy? I'd love to read more.

There's plenty of news about it, I just did a quick google search.

They seem to be doing their best to go that way. Not just a bedroom community. But a failed rust belt city to boot! What other explanation is there for refusing to build a transit system when the province and feds are offering to pay for 70% of it? Unbelievable.

Growth will and should go to communities that have a little more common sense. And those cities can leverage their transit investments to actually build proper and vibrant urban areas. Not the suburban crap that London is overloading on.
As someone that lived there, it isn't a failed city. They do not build transit because they seem to think it is an affluent city. The main people who use transit are students. Some of the routes show just how horrible the transit is laid out.

As someone that lived there, it isn't a failed city. They do not build transit because they seem to think it is an affluent city. The main people who use transit are students. Some of the routes show just how horrible the transit is laid out.

Actually affluent cities have real transit systems used by the middle class. Only poor or cheap cities have transit systems mostly focused on serving the poor, students and disabled. LTC is basically similar to many suburban American transit systems. It's not playing in the league of most midsize and large Canadian cities.

Actually affluent cities have real transit systems used by the middle class. Only poor or cheap cities have transit systems mostly focused on serving the poor, students and disabled. LTC is basically similar to many suburban American transit systems. It's not playing in the league of most midsize and large Canadian cities.
Name me a city without any 'ghetto ' that has a great transit system.

Name me a city without any 'ghetto ' that has a great transit system.

Define "ghetto".

But I've been to a few European cities the size of London, ON that have decent transit. London is just extraordinarily cheap. And they are about to be left behind for thinking that way.

In case you haven't been to London lately, they are choking on traffic. And they still have massive suburban growth at the fringes. They have no room for highways in the core. And if they did, induced demand would overwhelm parking. The parking lots that are there in the core? Being developed. A decade from now, London is going to be an immobile mess with several major avenues comparable to the DVP at rush.

Define "ghetto".

But I've been to a few European cities the size of London, ON that have decent transit. London is just extraordinarily cheap. And they are about to be left behind for thinking that way.

In case you haven't been to London lately, they are choking on traffic. And they still have massive suburban growth at the fringes. They have no room for highways in the core. And if they did, induced demand would overwhelm parking. The parking lots that are there in the core? Being developed. A decade from now, London is going to be an immobile mess with several major avenues comparable to the DVP at rush.
I was there today...

I did not say size of city without a ghetto.. I said a city without a ghetto that has great transit.

As far as the term Ghetto, Google defines it as

Back