• Hate Ford

Votes: 113 80.1%
  • Too soon to tell

Votes: 10 7.1%

• Total voters

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just wanted to do a quick poll to see which way UT leans on Rob Ford.

Why does it have to be love/hate? Are people incapable of balance, or does the US style "us vs them" mentality have to take over here as well?

What he has done isn't impressive, but a part of me hopes that with some far-fetched Tory magic, he'll turn out to be better than we had first thought.

Maybe by the end of his four years, he might have Federal/Provincial funding lined up for Sheppard and the DRL!

Why does it have to be love/hate? Are people incapable of balance, or does the US style "us vs them" mentality have to take over here as well?

It would appear so. The problem though with this is that people won't be unbiased and objective with their comments on either side but most especially the side that dislikes him. If you don't like Ford, everything he says and does will be magnified, dissected and blown out of proportion to discredit him. So it's a flawed process and really, is just a popularity contest that solves nothing.

Last edited:
To be fair it is becoming increasingly difficult to be 'moderate' about Ford, and I'm not talking about his policies necessarily. Ford is boorish and insensitive, and this isn't personality slander here because he has demonstrated himself to be this way, and indeed seems to revel in it. He has an insulting and dismissive approach to those who disagree with him and seems unconcerned with making an attempt to be sensitive to all of his constituents. This is not good leadership/statesmanship, by anybody's definition, and we expect more. At this point I suspect even more conservative-leaning Torontonians are shaking their heads, realizing that with the Ford brothers they're getting a little more than they bargained for.

It would appear so. The problem though with this is that people won't be unbiased and objective with their comments on either side but most especially the side that dislikes him. If you don't like Ford, everything he says and does will be magnified, dissected and blown out of proportion to discredit him. So it's a flawed process and really, is just a popularity contest that solves nothing.

He's a complete dunce, demonstrably unfit to lead, and has shown very little understanding of governance beyond the slogans fed to him by Nick Kouvalis yet you wonder why some people dislike having him sit on the mayors chair. Only partisan hacks would hate Ford because of that!

What's next? We're all biased and partisan cronies because we're glad that Sarah Palin didn't get a shot in the White House?

I don't love him or hate him. I don't care for his personality, his style of leadership - or the facts of his leadership so far. I don't believe he is a skilled, intelligent, strong or compassionate leader. So I'm not fond of him.

It's not as black and white as love/ hate, nor as personal.

Well said CN; love and hate are both strong emotions. I can strongly dislike his leadership skills, policies or whatever, but I don't necessarily hate the man.

In the news today...

CBC said:
Harper said Ford was "Doing something very important that needs to be done, he's cleaning up the NDP mess in Toronto. We started cleaning up the left wing mess federally in this area. Rob's doing it municipally. And now we've got to complete the hat trick and do it provincially as well."

The Ford camp is loving this. The polarization of the electorate really benefits the 'moderate' version of Conservatism in our city then the elitism and union groups of those championing the left.

As it stands with current policies and platforms, a Ford administration will always capture more centrist votes.

Like him or not, the Mike Harris gov't got the ball rolling for a lot of the cranes we have seen over the Toronto skyline over the past decade+.

Why would anyone hate a politician? Dislike perhaps ... think that they are incompetent, and not qualified to run a hot dog stand, perhaps ... have their tongues so far up Harper's but, that the tongue is coming out of Harper's face ... maybe ... but hate? I can't imagine that many people are so extreme.

Back