How do you feel about Ford

• Love Ford

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Hate Ford

Votes: 113 80.1%
  • Too soon to tell

Votes: 10 7.1%

• Total voters
I know two people that voted for Rob Ford that are saying they hate him now. I don't know if that is just a coincidence though. I don't think they really knew too much about him before voting for him though.

Not any different from the thousands of people that voted for Miller and his broomstick, and at the end couldnt stand him.

Not any different from the thousands of people that voted for Miller and his broomstick, and at the end couldnt stand him.

In practice, those who "couldn't stand him" were more likely those who gave Miller the benefit of the doubt after having voted for John Tory in '03, and who *perhaps* opted for Miller in '06 because Jane Pitfield didn't cut the mustard...

In practice, those who "couldn't stand him" were more likely those who gave Miller the benefit of the doubt after having voted for John Tory in '03, and who *perhaps* opted for Miller in '06 because Jane Pitfield didn't cut the mustard...

I guess I am of two minds on the whole 'regretting voting for Ford' issue. On the one hand, very clearly a lot of reasonable and thoughtful people who don't want to see the city gutted voted for him, and if a more sensible alternative is to be elected in 2014 those individuals will be the ones who make it happen.

On the other hand, Ford's er, colorful record in and out of Council, his extremely conservative views, and his difficulties around understanding how, say, budgeting or other elements of public policy actually work were on full display during the campaign, and were extensively documented even by the likes of the Sun and Post. The 'no service cuts, guaranteed' thing was immediately chopped to ribbons by the press, for example. Who can really claim to be surprised by his behaviour now?

Toronto is stuck with Ford for four years and I am still hopeful he can grow into being a more acceptable mayor, with a lot of help from a Council that refuses to endorse his nuttiest schemes. But so far his mayoralty is unfolding exactly as those of us who knew anything about him would have predicted.

I voted hate, and I kept a far more open mind about him than most did. It seems whenever he takes one step forward, he finds a way to take two steps backwards. For example, I do believe the VRF did need to go, but if he had raised property taxes to make up for it we wouldn't be in this "budget crisis." Not to mention his polarizing and unprofessional views of the political spectrum, which seemed to be poised to alienate anyone who doesn't agree with his politics. This is foolish considering that Toronto is still predominantly a left leaning city, and will hurt him more than help him come election time.

On a larger scale, I think he represents a brain drain in the outer 416. The former municipalities of Metropolitan Toronto never voted such an incompetent ignoramus for mayor. The closest was Mel Lastman, and even at his worst he appeared like a Harvard scholar next to Ford on a good day. It seems that anyone with a good education and money has moved into downtown Toronto or the 905 suburban ring. If Torontonians wanted a more right leaning candidate for mayor, Rocco Rossi and Sarah Thompson should have had far better support than Ford did.

Last edited:
I know two people that voted for Rob Ford that are saying they hate him now. I don't know if that is just a coincidence though. I don't think they really knew too much about him before voting for him though.

That's amazing. Rob Ford has not changed from his pre-mayor self and all his previous behavior was put out there during the campaign. Did they not pay attention to anything before they voted?

map-700x426.png

That's amazing. Rob Ford has not changed from his pre-mayor self and all his previous behavior was put out there during the campaign. Did they not pay attention to anything before they voted?

Definitely so! The Ford portrayed by the media was a folk hero that, despite his past digressions, would stem government waste and 'turn the city around'. No one actually bothered watching what he did while he was a councilor.

No one actually bothered watching what he did while he was a councilor.

Or if they *were* privy to any of that, they were conditioned into regarding him as some kind of municipal abuse victim or something, "acting out", etc...

Definitely so! The Ford portrayed by the media was a folk hero that, despite his past digressions, would stem government waste and 'turn the city around'. No one actually bothered watching what he did while he was a councilor.
Or there *were* following through in their talk after the garbage strike (among other events) that someone needed to be elected to do the unpopular work in the city, so they held their noses while the voted for a guy who they knew could be a bit of a loose cannon, but would be the most likely to follow through and not cave to poltical pressure. Toronto got exactly what it wanted and likely still wants, despite the
[video=youtube;oNz4oEqSvmc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNz4oEqSvmc[/video]??

You know, somewhat anecdotal, but a lot of 905 residents did and do not support Ford. Example: One day while working a customer was talking to me about Ford's plan to cut the bag tax. I replied "Ford says a lot of things..." and the customer behind her broke into laughter.

Obviously this does not represent what everyone in the GTA thinks, but I would be interested in a poll conducted to see how people out here would vote.

The majority of 905ers I know supported Ford strongly prior to the election ... a lot of people now don't say much less he looks silly / says silly things.

Back