News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

While Edmonton added 100,000 residents in the past 2 years, that also resulted in an extra 65,000 vehicles on our roads (Mayor Sohi recently shared that stat). That's like 90 cars a day being added to our streets. And with most roads not getting wider - especially in areas taking us to major destinations like downtown, universities, schools, rec centres, WEM and other shopping malls, Commonwealth Stadium etc, we definitely need TODs and expanded transit (as well as other viable options like bike lanes/MUPs) to move us around or else drivers are just going to experience more congestion and our streets less pleasant.

And if we're adding 65,000 vehicles every 2 or even 3 years, there is no way our core will be able to manage that parking demand if everyone drives. Nor do we want a downtown that is built to accommodate so much traffic.
Exactly, as the city grows and becomes bigger expanded LRT and transit will take some of the pressure off of the road system and parking which is hard to expand in an urban built up environment.

Clogging the roads up a little with all the new incoming cars will also help drive increased transit usage.
There's plenty of trips in Metro Vancouver that are faster by transit than by car, especially at rush hour. In Edmonton that's not really ever the case currently.

Well first of all we gotta get southside drivers taking Valley Line from Davies. Soooo much parking empty.
I could get psychologically that once you start driving from Millwoods you may just continue all the way to your destination.

It probably would work better if the station with the large parking area was a bit closer to the end of the line, but perhaps in time it may get more use. More TOD around it would help too.

Vancouver's traffic is largely east-west, and the Trans-Canada is the major highway (in Canada) leaving the city. I'm guessing trips are shorter and the Fraser River divides Metro Vancouver.

With Edmonton's ultra fast population growth, do you think the City should reopen the transit plan to accelerate expansion of the LRT and BRT networks?
Not sure who you are asking... But... In my opinion, they can reopen any plan they want, but, is the money there? I think the answer to that is no.
We're spending money outfitting a former City garage on the Kennedale City facility campus to operate as a satellite bus garage, managed to find find money for 20 growth buses to operate from it, but, we don't have the funding to replace the bus fleet we have.
I think accelerating any LRT or BRT scheme is beyond the City's financial capacity at the moment.

I could get psychologically that once you start driving from Millwoods you may just continue all the way to your destination.

It probably would work better if the station with the large parking area was a bit closer to the end of the line, but perhaps in time it may get more use. More TOD around it would help too.
That could be the case for some but I know for at least myself I prefer driving a short distance to save on gas and then take the train in. The only reason I still drive into work in the core is because I usually do t finish work til 1 to 2 in the morning when the LRT is no longer running. If it still ran at that time I would gladly take the train every show I could, but as it stands I only take it on my morning shifts and then when I return for the evening I drive in all the way.

^
And spare me the reference to the 2018 Administration report that somehow says a railway is the same cost as a bus route. That report was flawed in too many ways to outline here.
Name a better combo than the CoE admin and spittin' out bizarre cost estimates

Cartmell and BRT, a tale as old as time.

Mentioning this line as redundant and questioning the demand of this is slightly ridiculous. Century Park wasn't built as a terminus and it shows. Ridership from the south side of the city will continue to increase no matter what happens based on sheer population growth. I can attest that car traffic in the southside is getting stupid congested. This extension was needed yesterday tbh.

Back