News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Perhaps they took a day off for the holiday. They seemed to be regularly hanging out right infront of the elevator in groups on the upper level at Corona lately, which must be quite intimidating for anyone who has mobility issues and has to use it. Btw, that area is not in the fare only zone, so checking for fares will not stop this.
The no loitering by-law should handle that issue

Yes, I expect it would. I'm not sure how much it is enforced. I expect mostly when someone complains or the groups become too large or disruptive.

Every time I visit WEM I’m always reminded how many families and kids are around haha. Downtown and Strathcona you just see so few. And of course it’s because of cars/parking, suburbs vs more urban areas. But it really gets me thinking about how many families are just looking for something to do on the weekend. And downtown is rarely of interest for most. I think the LRT safety and general disorder must be a top reason. The challenges of keeping public spaces safe vs private I guess. The mall must feel so safe and clean vs any “outdoor” alternatives around our main streets and central city.

I wonder if we need to apply the 8 80 city design thinking not just to infrastructure, but safety/crime/disorder too.

I think you were more correct on your first point - parking. I would argue another major reason is proximity. If people are living in a suburban area, then the mall is closer than downtown.

As much attention as LRT safety gets lately, lets be honest - suburban people weren't all flocking downtown on the weekends before it became a big issue. So, it probably doesn't help, but it is not the main reason.

Every time I visit WEM I’m always reminded how many families and kids are around haha. Downtown and Strathcona you just see so few. And of course it’s because of cars/parking, suburbs vs more urban areas. But it really gets me thinking about how many families are just looking for something to do on the weekend. And downtown is rarely of interest for most. I think the LRT safety and general disorder must be a top reason. The challenges of keeping public spaces safe vs private I guess. The mall must feel so safe and clean vs any “outdoor” alternatives around our main streets and central city.

I wonder if we need to apply the 8 80 city design thinking not just to infrastructure, but safety/crime/disorder too.

I spent last weekend in the Toronto in the Beaches neighbourhood and what an eye opener. The shear number of families out and about, shopping-eating-exploring on Queen St. was amazing. Sure the weather helped, but it was vibrant, safe, inviting and really felt like a community. We walked about 10-12 blocks along Queen and it had very little visible mental health issues, a few folks asking for money and a couple of beat cops saying hi to folks along the way. It wasn't particularly clean, had ~25%-30% vacancy, much graffiti and yet provided a really great experience due to the pleasantness of it all.

I spent last weekend in the Toronto in the Beaches neighbourhood and what an eye opener. The shear number of families out and about, shopping-eating-exploring on Queen St. was amazing. Sure the weather helped, but it was vibrant, safe, inviting and really felt like a community. We walked about 10-12 blocks along Queen and it had very little visible mental health issues, a few folks asking for money and a couple of beat cops saying hi to folks along the way. It wasn't particularly clean, had ~25%-30% vacancy, much graffiti and yet provided a really great experience due to the pleasantness of it all.
Not to totally dismiss this, but the grass elsewhere is not always as green as it seems. We don't have as many families downtown, but perhaps the abundance downtown in Toronto is partly because they can't afford suburban houses. Also we may not see their small cramped condos, which they were glad to get out of as soon as the weather was nice.

Toronto has had its share of problems with violence on its subway recently too. However, more people on the street tends to makes social problems less visible or go elsewhere, at least for a while.

You might have to ask your employer for a loan -- do that first and then hand in your resignation 10 days after your loan is in place...
Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 11.55.52 AM.png

Duplexes in Scarborough and Miss are a mil, what's your point?

Point being that you don't need a mall to attract families, you need a community, neighbourhood amenities, walkable shopping-groceries-needs and an environment that is safe and inviting for kids.

The Beaches does that.

Last edited:

Point being that you don't need a mall to attract families, you need a community, neighbourhood amenities, walkable shopping-groceries-needs and an environment that is safe and inviting for kids.

The Beaches does that.
Along that line, you apparently do not need high rises and density either (although I imagine some are not too far away). So then maybe we need fewer high rises and more duplexes downtown too to create a community neighbourhood?

Toronto excels at having a lot of older low density housing in central areas, which is great for those that bought them when they were more affordable or can still afford them, but the NIMBYism has resulted in horrible housing costs for all those not so fortunate.

Just helping you find a new location to move to -- the posted real estate listing looks to be right up your alley -- thought you might like it!
The Beaches does that.
Exactly! And that's why I thought it would be a good place for you to move to (tic).

Back