News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Every intersection is a crosswalk unless there are signs prohibiting it. Low floor was chosen because of its ability to integrate with communities without barriers, so by that standard someone should be able to cross on 79 Ave, 80 Ave, and 81 Ave as they did before. If not, they should fence it off and provide something alternative at 80 Ave because 4 blocks is a long stretch on foot. 71 Ave used to have a marked crosswalk and it's one of the few areas that's blocked with landscaping.

If they really don't want people to cross in certain areas they should put up fences. I think they feel they must regulate things like the high floor line even though they pushed this line as something very different than the old train and its right of way.
I agree the concern is valid, particularly in an area with more people and pedestrian activity like downtown. However, we can't protect everyone from their own stupidity.

I would hope that people will take some care and have an awareness before crossing. However, if this becomes a problem then we may need to look at what needs to be done to deal with it, such as fencing.

Had an interesting day out on the tramline and LRT.

LRT, not a problem, only 1 passenger looking a bit rough... Big change from yesterday 👍 👍 👍

Tramline, well, to start, all shelters doors were broken down, departed at the quarters featured 3 folks fighting yelling, arguing and kicking the door (still off the hinges 4 hours later), 1 shelter at Bonnie Doon and 1 at Churchill occupied by open drug users. I poor soul sitting with head between his knees for at least 70 minutes (probably longer) at Churchill, and at Bonnie Doon on the way home 3 EPS officers issuing appearance tickets (July 9th dates) and running off the recipients...

Didn't really feel unsafe, but wary at the quarters...

Had an interesting day out on the tramline and LRT.

LRT, not a problem, only 1 passenger looking a bit rough... Big change from yesterday 👍 👍 👍

Tramline, well, to start, all shelters doors were broken down, departed at the quarters featured 3 folks fighting yelling, arguing and kicking the door (still off the hinges 4 hours later), 1 shelter at Bonnie Doon and 1 at Churchill occupied by open drug users. I poor soul sitting with head between his knees for at least 70 minutes (probably longer) at Churchill, and at Bonnie Doon on the way home 3 EPS officers issuing appearance tickets (July 9th dates) and running off the recipients...

Didn't really feel unsafe, but wary at the quarters...
I hate to say it but at the quarters stop they should remove all doors on all the shelters and despite it adding cost, hire a regular station guard to keep homeless and drug users out.

K do they mean 75 percent lower or 75 percent of 2019 ridership? I’ve got a strong feeling it’s the latter. I’ve already seen people on Reddit blow that number out of proportion.

Because 75 percent lower flies in the face of every ridership anecdote and statistic out there, including the APTA statistics we have.

I actually refuse to believe the 75 percent lower statement lol

K do they mean 75 percent lower or 75 percent of 2019 ridership? I’ve got a strong feeling it’s the latter. I’ve already seen people on Reddit blow that number out of proportion.

Because 75 percent lower flies in the face of every ridership anecdote and statistic out there, including the APTA statistics we have.

I thought the same thing. Either 75% or pre pandemic, or maybe 75% decrease in late night ridership?

A 75% drop would be astronomical. I can’t think that’s true when so much ridership is due to the UofA

According to the APTA statistics, Edmonton's LRT ridership recovery was 62.7% for October 2023 vs October 2019. I choose that date as it wouldn't have any skewed data since the Valley Line should have ridership included in the light rail stats from November 2023 and on presumably.
The November and December 2023 LRT ridership actually dropped. December I get, November not as much although it was a small drop. November ridership in 2019 increased slightly over October 2019

Calgary by contrast reached 92.7% LRT ridership recovery which matches what was being reported in the media.

Oddly, despite ETS claiming bus ridership has recovered, the numbers don't seem to show that.
October 2019 is 9,619,100 trips
October 2023 is 6,240,400 trips

I'm pretty sure I have seen other figures that do support the bus ridership recovery, so, I am curious about this apparent discrepancy.

I thought the same thing. Either 75% or pre pandemic, or maybe 75% decrease in late night ridership?

A 75% drop would be astronomical. I can’t think that’s true when so much ridership is due to the UofA
Yup! 75% of 2019 ridership, that’s something that’s completely believable. 75% decrease in late night ridership? Also believable.

75% drop overall is so out there that unless you’re an anti-transit person who hasn’t taken the LRT in the last year, then you shouldn’t believe it lol

According to the APTA statistics, Edmonton's LRT ridership recovery was 62.7% for October 2023 vs October 2019. I choose that date as it wouldn't have any skewed data since the Valley Line should have ridership included in the light rail stats from November 2023 and on presumably.
The November and December 2023 LRT ridership actually dropped. December I get, November not as much although it was a small drop. November ridership in 2019 increased slightly over October 2019

Calgary by contrast reached 92.7% LRT ridership recovery which matches what was being reported in the media.

Oddly, despite ETS claiming bus ridership has recovered, the numbers don't seem to show that.
October 2019 is 9,619,100 trips
October 2023 is 6,240,400 trips

I'm pretty sure I have seen other figures that do support the bus ridership recovery, so, I am curious about this apparent discrepancy.
Yeah the APTA numbers can be extremely weird and I haven’t really seen if it’s just something different in how ETS properly records and what they send to APTA.

I really just want a proper ETS statistics tableau for ridership, and I’m not sure if we’re ever gonna get that.

Back