News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

1724333345827.png

tbh, i don't really care about "increase/decrease" at this point. We have to find an acceptable baseline.

We could have a "50% DROP IN INCIDENTS!" WOW! And it's still 4x more our 2019 numbers (reported ones). So we can't just be aiming for decreases, we have to establish an acceptable threshold for general safety & public perception.

Your average LRT rider should take the train every day and see ZERO drug use, gang activity, or violence. The occasional incident should be a rarity. I've been in stations only 4 times this year so far, and every time saw multiple instances of drug use and sketchy behaviour by those brandishing gang clothing/tattoos. I ride the skytrain 2-4x most months and have only seen 1 instance of drug use in a station this year. What gives??

What I don't like about stats like this is that it doesn't account for how many people might experience an issue. If this is car crashes per trip taken, great (those are isolated per user). But incidents vs ridership doesn't matter cause if 20 people are on a platform and see an assault, vs 60 people on a platform seeing an assault, all those people are still impacted negatively.

This stat would matter if more riders = more issues. But we obviously know that just a few hundred people cause the vast majority of major crime/violence and disorder DT. Actual LRT riders aren't the cause of disorder. So of course more riders will drop this stat....it also just means more people are seeing these issues. I wouldn't celebrate it like many councillors have.

Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 11.31.24 AM.png

Yes the worst thing is when statistics are used by politicians or those who work for them to try convince us they are doing a good job, when we can see they are not.

It does not help their credibility and only convinces people they do not understand the seriousness of the problem or take it seriously enough.

What I don't like about stats like this is that it doesn't account for how many people might experience an issue. If this is car crashes per trip taken, great (those are isolated per user). But incidents vs ridership doesn't matter cause if 20 people are on a platform and see an assault, vs 60 people on a platform seeing an assault, all those people are still impacted negatively.

This stat would matter if more riders = more issues. But we obviously know that just a few hundred people cause the vast majority of major crime/violence and disorder DT. Actual LRT riders aren't the cause of disorder. So of course more riders will drop this stat....it also just means more people are seeing these issues. I wouldn't celebrate it like many councillors have.

View attachment 590082
and that total of only 6,413 is still 6,413 too many. How many riders and potential riders are being scared off?

Do better!

Back