News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I wanted to poll everyone on which major Toronto streets still lack a full set of sidewalks on both sides of the road.

For my purposes, major means EITHER 4-lanes or greater OR any road on which there is a bus route OR a major employer/trip generator.

In other words, almost any street, except for quiet little residential streets.

This seems like such a small, easy way to get more people walking and to reduce the need to own a car.

I know the City has a program to fill in missing sidewalks, but its taking forever! :mad:

To Start the list:

Leslie Street: East Side: Eglinton to just south of Lawrence

Bermondsey: Both sides, sidewalks are intermittent

Guildwood Parkway: South Side: Just west of Morningside

Yonge Street: West Side: Hwy 401 to 2 blocks south thereof

Parklawn: East Side: Lakeshore to Queensway

I assume other GTA roads don't count, right? Cause I know there are a bunch of important roads in Markham that lack sidewalks. :p

In a manner of speaking, the first thing that came to mind was Richmond east of Spadina, though Margie's improvised a solution through strategic Jersey barriers...

Richmond

I thought I remembered Adam Vaughan trumpeting a fix to the Richmond Sidewalk gap awhile back; is my memory faltering or is that supposedly still coming?

Cherry Street on the west side from Commissioners to the T and T store. It's MUD now and only ca 50 yards.

There are also the intersections where pedestrians need to cross the road to cross the road (if you see what I mean!). An example being the west side of Spadina at Lakeshore. (The same problem at Lower Jarvis and Lakeshore is about to be solved as City Council just instructed Transportation to install a proper pedestrian crossing there.)

Speaking of Lakeshore ... I seem to remember walking along the north side of Lakeshore a few years ago ... only to find that I was suddenly wandering along what appeared to look more like an expressway overpass, east of Spadina.

I wanted to poll everyone on which major Toronto streets still lack a full set of sidewalks on both sides of the road.

Leslie Street: East Side: Eglinton to just south of Lawrence

Yonge Street: West Side: Hwy 401 to 2 blocks south thereof

It’s always good when somebody recognize the importance of my beloved Leslie street. But the truth be told I’d rather spend my tax money on more important things than a set of sidewalks that will probably be used by a maximum 5 persons a day. In all the years that I’ve been in the area I don’t actually recall ever seeing anybody actually walking on those sidewalks other than the odd person at the bus stops.

The case is the same with Yonge street south of the 401.

Yonge Street, west side, directly south of the 401.

At the very least, place some better signage so that pedestrians arriving by the pathway on the west side are aware that the sidewalk stops. I walked by the other day and was finally able to find the paltry little sign telling pedestrians to use the sidewalk on the east side.

Last edited:
Ethel Avenue in the Junction does not even have a single continuous sidewalk on either side. The street serves trip generators such as a medium sized park (Runnymede Park) with an arena and sports fields, the large employer which is the Maple Leaf poultry facility, a neighbourhood, and a large big-box retail zone. There are always pedestrians walking through as it's a time saving alternative to St. Clair, but the infrastructure is quite lacking.

Oh god, don't ever try walking (or even biking, for that matter) on Highway 7 anywhere between McCowan and Warden. Disaster.
Yep! Hopefully the development that's coming along Highway 7 will fix some of those issues.

Warden, on the other hand, has a pretty wonderful sidewalk. North of Highway 7 would be a perfect place to have some nice planters/gardeny stuff and a bike path once Markham Civic Centre gets rocking, and south of 7, they should be prepared to build 2 sets of bike lanes! :D

This may qualify as more of a bikepath than a sidewalk, but if you ever ride/walk south along the west side of the Don River, that path curls to the west along the north side of Lakeshore Blvd., under the Gardiner. It's a decent pathway, but it just ends (Parliament or Sherbourne, I can't recall) at one point, not connecting to the downtown core. It becomes a narrow dirt walkway along the grass hill bordering the railway.

I know you could veer off to the south and take Queen's Quay, but I always found it a bit odd, a walkway/bikepath to nowhere, with the downtown core so close...

walkway and bike path should be clearly defined and completely independent of each other

there is a post right above this about a woman being killed by a bike riding on the sidewalk and that is exactly why we need separate locations for both bikes and pedestratians

bottom line.

The west side of Jane Street, north of Eglinton Avenue West, lacks a sidewalk. Along with the north side of Eglinton Avenue West between the Humber River bridge and eastward to the top of the hill. However, I think no sidewalk will be built until after the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and Jane LRT are finished, then it will be put in.

Back