8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Marco Muzzo of King Township is a member of one of Canada's richest families, with a net worth of approximately $1.7 billion. Last September, while impaired, he drove his vehicle at the intersection of Kipling Ave. and Kirby Rd. in Vaughan, killing a grandfather and three grandchildren in the other vehicle.

This is one of the cases of affluenza, in which one has a belief that being rich would allow one to get away with major crimes, as long as the victims are compensated financially from the perpetrator.

Interesting. Though not a case of affluenza, but celebrity, Bruce Jenner got away with killing someone in a car crash. The Muzzo's should contact whomever got him out of that mysterious situation, unscathed.

Last edited:
Muzzo pleaded guilty to eighteen charges, four of which are impaired driving causing death and felt remorseful to the victims' family.

I didn't think he would be pleading until February. Am I incorrect? As I understood it, and I may be wrong, his lawyer announced that he would be pleading guilty to most of the charges, except those that Greenspan considers "redundant" (I haven't heard whether the Crown agrees with the alleged redundancy or not, and whether or not they may have a dust-up over that between now and February).

A little judgemental on my part, but I would think the 0.1%ers should get stiffer penalties if they drive drunk. Not like, they don't have access to chauffeurs or can't afford cabs.

Marco Muzzo of King Township is a member of one of Canada's richest families, with a net worth of approximately $1.7 billion. Last September, while impaired, he drove his vehicle at the intersection of Kipling Ave. and Kirby Rd. in Vaughan, killing a grandfather and three grandchildren in the other vehicle.

This is one of the cases of affluenza, in which one has a belief that being rich would allow one to get away with major crimes, as long as the victims are compensated financially from the perpetrator.
drunk driving disgusts me and I think that, generally, the penalties are simply not stiff enough (whether or not someone is killed/hurt)...that said, I have seen no evidence in this case of that there was any attempt/notion to transfer money from the Muzzo family to the family of the victims.....can you point me in that direction?

A little judgemental on my part, but I would think the 0.1%ers should get stiffer penalties if they drive drunk. Not like, they don't have access to chauffeurs or can't afford cabs.

We can't even have fines by percentage of income/assets/net worth.

AoD

Being rich isn't a crime, nor does a crime gain or lose value based on what someone has in their bank.

In instances where the measure is purely financial, the punitive impact certainly gain or lose value relative to one's wealth.

Keep the fines as is, but make them pay it out of their prison earnings. $10,000, but you can't leave jail until you've paid it off with $0.25/hr labour

Cost more to keep in them in than the value of their labour.

AoD

In instances where the measure is purely financial, the punitive impact certainly gain or lose value relative to one's wealth.

Cost more to keep in them in than the value of their labour.

AoD
That's not the point - it's to stop them from thinking they can buy their way out of problems.

That's not the point - it's to stop them from thinking they can buy their way out of problems.

Ah, well, I'd rather see them part with a per rata portion of their cash in a way that will provide commensurate hurt instead. Not applicable in this case, of course - or perhaps it should be a part of the solution.

AoD

drunk driving disgusts me and I think that, generally, the penalties are simply not stiff enough (whether or not someone is killed/hurt)...that said, I have seen no evidence in this case of that there was any attempt/notion to transfer money from the Muzzo family to the family of the victims.....can you point me in that direction?
A little over 5 years ago my brother's vehicle was struck by a drunk driver who ran a red light at an intersection. My brother said his SUV did a 360 and it was totaled. Afterwards, he confronted the driver (who reeked of alcohol) and called the police, and get this...they said they couldn't send any officers -- or wouldn't send any -- to the scene (I guess they couldn't be bothered, considering the snow storm that was taking place; or out of sheer laziness). I believe they asked my brother if he or anyone else was injured (he wasn't, nor was anyone else therefore they basically just pretended that it didn't happen). So, the moral of the story is that the police don't care if one is driving drunk/running red lights and hitting other vehicles; as long as no one is hurt, it's just a shrug of the shoulders.

A little over 5 years ago my brother's vehicle was struck by a drunk driver who ran a red light at an intersection. My brother said his SUV did a 360 and it was totaled. Afterwards, he confronted the driver (who reeked of alcohol) and called the police, and get this...they said they couldn't send any officers -- or wouldn't send any -- to the scene (I guess they couldn't be bothered, considering the snow storm that was taking place; or out of sheer laziness). I believe they asked my brother if he or anyone else was injured (he wasn't, nor was anyone else therefore they basically just pretended that it didn't happen). So, the moral of the story is that the police don't care if one is driving drunk/running red lights and hitting other vehicles; as long as no one is hurt, it's just a shrug of the shoulders.

So did your brother also indicate to the dispatcher that the other driver appeared to be drunk?
And where did this incident occur?

Back