News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think if there is a start to a DRL then it should start at the eastern section first. As I understand it, if the YB intersection doesn't get a relief from traffic soon then there will have to be a very expensive upgrade to handle the traffic. That is money better spent on DRL.
I think the best way for a line to finally get to Pearson would simply use the Weston line all the way to HWY27 and then head south. It would be much more affordable, provide better service to Humber and with limited stops ie St.Clair,Eg,Law etc I think that both Queen's Park and Ottawa would be more prone to accept it as it would negate the need for a high speed rail.

It definitely wouldn't negate the need for HSR, unless you envision the subway going to Windsor.

We really don't need a DRL going all the way to Pearson. That's just a huge waste of space for rail and waste of resources. You only need regional stops north of Bloor, and that's a function the Go train could very easily serve. When service gets expanded to K-W, I'd expect the future to hold a regional express service maybe along with VIA, meaning there's enough room to have stops at the Junction, Black Creek Drive at Eglinton, and through Weston and Northern Etobicoke running at a regional level. If you try to integrate that regional system in with the DRL West, you'll end up either having to sacrifice a local service, or triple or quad tracking the system. If you're going to be doing that, you might as well just RER-ify Georgetown Go and improve everyone's ride.

The difference is that it would cost to much and so employees wouldn't take. They would have to pay for a GO fare. a TTC fare, and probably a Miss. fare as well. The Canada Line in Vancouver is fantastic. It goes straight downtown using a Metro with no transfers needed and the same price as it normally would to get to Richmond. Fast, frequent, and easy to use. Using a GO system will be none of the things. Pearson is a pain in the ass to get to and is a half day's journey which is why the number of people getting there by transit is extremely low.

Pearson is a pain in the ass to get to and is a half day's journey which is why the number of people getting there by transit is extremely low.
A half-day's journey? It's 20 minutes from Kipling Station on an express TTC bus. If your on the west side of the city, it's really easy.

Heck, I'm on the east side, and I used it last time ... with a pile of luggage and a toddler. It was very relaxing ... walk a few steps from my house to the TTC stop. Wait a couple of minutes, and 5 minutes later I'm at the subway. 35 minutes after that I'm at Kipling. Then an express bus right to the airport. I actually felt more relaxed, than the usual drive to the airport ...

I normally drive, but the parking at the airport for 2 weeks has gotten even more expensive ... and as I was flying into Vancouver on what they were calling the "busiest day of travel ever" after the Olympics, I knew I had to be mobile enough to take the Canada Line from Vancouver airport.

Quite frankly, the whole experience was so easy, that I'll likely do the same thing again. It was better than London, where the tube might well go directly to Heathrow, and there is the express train from Paddington, but there was a lot of lugging things up and down stairs and escalators that is unnecessary in Toronto (both my station, and Kipling have elevators).

The difference is that it would cost to much and so employees wouldn't take. They would have to pay for a GO fare. a TTC fare, and probably a Miss. fare as well. The Canada Line in Vancouver is fantastic. It goes straight downtown using a Metro with no transfers needed and the same price as it normally would to get to Richmond. Fast, frequent, and easy to use. Using a GO system will be none of the things. Pearson is a pain in the ass to get to and is a half day's journey which is why the number of people getting there by transit is extremely low.
In the off chance that there isn't full regionwide fare integration by the time the DRL reaches Dundas West, you could instead use all the money for the DRL north of that to subsidize fare integration with the Georgetown line instead.

Back