News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Random musing: Toronto, like most Canadian cities, has a weak mayor system. They are only one vote. In the USA, the strong mayor system is in place, where the council is more of an advisory committee and can be overruled. Ford often got ignored, while Tory seems to get things to passed. He has some of that strong mayor power I suppose.

Last edited:
I do believe that the long game may be the idea of smart track replacing and bettering the subway option - it would be a dangerous and devious switcheroo and if he got away with it I would applaud his brilliance.
So would I applaud

Who's the leadership in OCAP? I don't agree with their tactics. Consider OCAP to be related to the Toronto Taxpayers Coalition. Both do not represent me.

Old (like me) activists. They had Jack Layton and O Chow on board in the 90s. They were instrumental in rehouseing those that lived in tent city. I thought I recalled they had disbanded a few years ago. Not sure how much the old OCAP informs the current OCAP but I recall being a fan in the old days.

Old (like me) activists. They had Jack Layton and O Chow on board in the 90s. They were instrumental in rehouseing those that lived in tent city. I thought I recalled they had disbanded a few years ago. Not sure how much the old OCAP informs the current OCAP but I recall being a fan in the old days.

I am fairly sure John Clarke has been and is still in it.

AoD

I doubt after 4 years of Tory people in Scarborough will want Ford back. How insane can they be?

Well, they would only need to reach a point part way up a scale of 0 to 10 with "10" being people in Etobicoke.

People here in Scarborough are not that bright and want SUBWAYS. My ward voted overwhelmingly for Rob in 2010 and Doug in 2014. I don't expect Rob to be alive in 2018, but you can bet a Fordian candidate will be there, likely supported by the family.

The funny thing is that Norm Kelly got 86% of the vote in Ward 40 despite being the anti-Ford and Michael Thompson got 80% while doing the same.

Last edited:
Random musing: Toronto, like most Canadian cities, has a weak mayor system. They are only one vote. In the USA, the strong mayor system is in place, where the council is more of an advisory committee and can be overruled. Ford often got ignored, while Tory seems to get things to passed. He has some of that strong mayor power I suppose.

Even Ford got most of his agenda passed in the first year. I suppose it comes down to a combination of not wanting to piss off the new mayor (who will be there for at least 3.5 more years) and supposing that the first budget has a strong mandate from the people to voted for him.

Tory uses the concept of talking to people, Robbie just likes to bark orders, he even gets "underlings" to pass on "good facts" to his followers.

People here in Scarborough are not that bright and want SUBWAYS.

Time to change the light bulb. We should ne ashamed of ourselves for falling for the subways ploy, we need increased bus service, not subways to get us to existing and future rapid/rail transit.

Even Ford got most of his agenda passed in the first year. I suppose it comes down to a combination of not wanting to piss off the new mayor (who will be there for at least 3.5 more years) and supposing that the first budget has a strong mandate from the people to voted for him.

True. Things didn't derail instantly.

Tory uses the concept of talking to people, Robbie just likes to bark orders, he even gets "underlings" to pass on "good facts" to his followers.

Yes, he has done a very good job of building consensus so far.

Time to change the light bulb. We should ne ashamed of ourselves for falling for the subways ploy, we need increased bus service, not subways to get us to existing and future rapid/rail transit.

I would be fine with the LRT.

http://theagenda.tvo.org/blog/agenda-blogs/steve-paikin-first-hundred-days-tory-vs-ford

Last edited:
People here in Scarborough are not that bright and want SUBWAYS. My ward voted overwhelmingly for Rob in 2010 and Doug in 2014. I don't expect Rob to be alive in 2018, but you can bet a Fordian candidate will be there, likely supported by the family.

The funny thing is that Norm Kelly got 86% of the vote in Ward 40 despite being the anti-Ford and Michael Thompson got 80% while doing the same.

Yeah, remember that: by and large, the Ford magic did *not* translate down into "endorsed" or quasi-endorsed (by Flagg if not directly by the Fords) Council candidates--even in Scarborough, where abysmal single-digit shares tended to be the rule. And therein is where the "Fordian candidate" quicksand lies...

Yeah, remember that: by and large, the Ford magic did *not* translate down into "endorsed" or quasi-endorsed (by Flagg if not directly by the Fords) Council candidates--even in Scarborough, where abysmal single-digit shares tended to be the rule. And therein is where the "Fordian candidate" quicksand lies...

Incumbency is a powerful thing, for better or worse.

Thanks for the link, good article.

I like that the mayor has never been part of City Hall before. It is a fresh perspective.

Last edited:
Incumbency is a powerful thing, for better or worse.

It is; but not to the point of aspirants being driven to the single-digit basement. And of all of Team FlaggFord's 43Down-ish "non-incumbent" Scarborough endorsees (they *did* give Thompson and even Berardinetti a token pass), not one of them even hit *second* place. (And that includes Anthony Internicola vs Norm Kelly--in that battle of stop-Norm 7%-basement-dwellers, he got the short end of the stick.)

Maybe the most representative case in point: in Ward 39--non-incumbent but where Jim K. might as well have been the standing incumbent--Patricia Sinclair was openly campaigning on Ford's coattails as an active, visible "contender". Yet she wound up in *sixth* place with 3 2/3% of the vote.

It is; but not to the point of aspirants being driven to the single-digit basement

Yes, I like healthy competition.

And of all of Team FlaggFord's 43Down-ish "non-incumbent" Scarborough endorsees (they *did* give Thompson and even Berardinetti a token pass), not one of them even hit *second* place. (And that includes Anthony Internicola vs Norm Kelly--in that battle of stop-Norm 7%-basement-dwellers, he got the short end of the stick.)

I was looking at the 43 Down page on the night of the election and Flagg was shocked at the lack of defeated incumbents. Only John Parker in Ward 26 was defeated.

Maybe the most representative case in point: in Ward 39--non-incumbent but where Jim K. might as well have been the standing incumbent--Patricia Sinclair was openly campaigning on Ford's coattails as an active, visible "contender". Yet she wound up in *sixth* place with 3 2/3% of the vote.

It happens when you are the area MP for 25 years.

Back