News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes, I like healthy competition.

And, to repeat: going by the results, voters decided that even among the losers, there was "healthier" competition than the 43 Down slate.

I was looking at the 43 Down page on the night of the election and Flagg was shocked at the lack of defeated incumbents. Only John Parker in Ward 26 was defeated.

But again, the *real* shocker ought to have been how poorly the 43 Down slate did.

It happens when you are the area MP for 25 years.

Yeah, but once again, 43 Down's "Team Ford" girl Patricia Sinclair wasn't just trounced by Jim K.'s federal "incumbent advantage"; she was also trounced by ex-Del Grande staffer Franco Ng (18%), by NOW endorsee Cozette Giannini (just under 10%), and a couple of others--she only got 3.67% of the vote.

You seem to have this way of viewing races in very generic incumbents-vs-"everyone else" terms; without considering that even among the losers, there's a pecking order of "winners" and "losers".

And in that light, let's look at the most clusterfvcked Scarborough race of them all: Ward 44, where Ron Moeser (25.7%) barely hung on against...dark horse municipal planner/activist Jennifer McKelvie (23.4%); erstwhile chief Moeser opponent Diana Hall (22.2%); City Idol graduate/NOW endorsee Amarjeet Chhabra (11.4%); one Richard Ross (7.5%, and particularly strong in his West Rouge turf)...and everyone else was below 2%, and you have to go all the way to *9th* place for 43 Down-er Ashley Sondhi (1.35%).

See what I mean? Some competition's "healthier" than others. And by and large, Ford/Flagg's Scarborough gang didn't make the mark.

Yes, you make a good point. I wasn't seeing it from that perspective. Ford Nation might have done well in the mayoral election, but they got utterly owned at a Ward level.

I know this is long term thinking, but when 2018 rolls around and if/when Rob isn't above ground, the Nayshun probably won't present as big of a challenge. However, Tory won't always be getting such high approval ratings.

Last edited:
Yes, you make a good point. I wasn't seeing it from that perspective. Ford Nation might have done well in the mayoral election, but they got utterly owned at a Ward level.

I know this is long term thinking, but, when 2018 rolls around and if/when Rob isn't above ground, the Nayshun probably won't present as big of a challenge. However, Tory won't always be getting such high approval ratings.

I'm sure that there will be some "Ford" like Mikey to toss in the ring even if they are a token to keep in the news cycle. Of course they could go full Tupac and do a holographic Robbie.

Last edited:
As stupid as the Nation is, they probably wouldn't consider Mikey (who will be 24 in 2018) as a viable candidate. He is just fine with the dysfunctional TDSB and isn't a typical member of the family. Pushing a non-related endorsed candidate seems pretty likely though.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/samuel-getachew/canada-black-politicians_b_6864830.html

This is a pretty good article and touches on the lack of diversity at City Hall.

Last edited:
As stupid as the Nation is, they probably wouldn't consider Mikey (who will be 24 in 2018) as a viable candidate. He is just fine with the dysfunctional TDSB and isn't a typical member of the family. Pushing a non-related endorsed candidate seems pretty likely though.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/samuel-getachew/canada-black-politicians_b_6864830.html

This is a pretty good article and touches on the lack of diversity at City Hall.

Mikey could absolutely win in 2018. That's why the fofam needs rob to go to the Celestial Steak Queen now or as close to 2018 as possible - an appointee would disrupt the lineage and might cause Ward 2 to have second thoughts.

And here's a scary thought: it's common to appoint the departing councillor's assistant. Does that mean Graeme or Dan Jacobs will be the next appointee?

Last edited:
Mikey could absolutely win in 2018. That's why the fofam needs rob to go to the Celestial Steak Queen now or as close to 2018 as possible - an appointee would disrupt the lineage and might cause Ward 2 to have second thoughts.

And here's a scary thought: it's common to appoint the departing councillor's assistant. Does that mean Graeme or Dan Jacobs will be the next appointee?

For Ward 2, I agree, but I was thinking more about a Ford running for mayor in 2018.

For Ward 2, I agree, but I was thinking more about a Ford running for mayor in 2018.

Right - that's either Rob or nothing.

If Rob is still alive and Tory hasn't imploded in 2018 they will find some excuse for Rob to run for council again. Maybe his fragile health etc...

With the budget passed, I'm hoping to see those promised TTC improvements soon. Express buses on the 89 or 52 would go a long way to improve service to the Weston area.

With the budget passed, I'm hoping to see those promised TTC improvements soon. Express buses on the 89 or 52 would go a long way to improve service to the Weston area.

I'm waiting for September of 2015 before I expect to see any improvements. Its the delivery of vehicles and training of new operators that has to occur first. As well, storage facilities for the those vehicles would be of benefit.

If Ward 2 all about Fordites then they deserve Graeme or Dan.

film shoot.jpg

This was happening today at City Hall. It is a TV pilot based on the movie Minority Report, with the same name of course.

Attachments

• film shoot.jpg
    film shoot.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 374
I'm waiting for September of 2015 before I expect to see any improvements. Its the delivery of vehicles and training of new operators that has to occur first. As well, storage facilities for the those vehicles would be of benefit.

But couldn't they use the vehicles that were idled by the Ford era cuts?

But couldn't they use the vehicles that were idled by the Ford era cuts?

They didn't order replacement buses, nor expansion buses, during the first couple years under Ford. What extra they do have, they use on the streetcar routes. There are shortages of vehicles everywhere on the TTC.

Back