News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I don't expect to know background information of pop stars from the 60s and 70s nor do I pretend to. Likewise, I don't expect Tory to know who Kanye West is either.

I understand where his confusion came from. It would not have been a big leap to have the Toronto Pan-Am games closing ceremonies be presented by Canadian musicians.

What is important is how he has comported himself in response to this 'gaffe', and the answer is, so far, great.

I want my city to be a leader in the culture and entertainment industries, so it's very important. To me, ignorance isn't something to be proud of or make excuses for. John Tory admitted his mistake and poked fun at himself with that endearing Twitter video. He's a class act. We both know that that kind of ignorance is unacceptable at this level.

To be fair, it's subjective to consider what important to know in the entertainment industries. Kanye West may be popular today, but he's could be remember as the next MC Hammer, resulting in saying "Hammer Time" that will draw blank stares and confuse faces amongst people who don't understand the culture reference or person you're referring too...I feel really old now. :(

He's big right now. That's what matters. He might be someone to invest his money in our music and entertainment scene, use his stardom to promote our city, or start a new music festival or some other venture here. He's been around for more than a decade now, and he's only added to his success and fame in that time.

He's big right now. That's what matters. He might be someone to invest his money in our music and entertainment scene, use his stardom to promote our city, or start a new music festival or some other venture here. He's been around for more than a decade now, and he's only added to his success and fame in that time.

Knowing who's popular in music isn't a requirement to run the city. A business venture and where Kanye West get's his money from are two different things. There are music producers with more money to invest their money in the entertainment and music scene that aren't famous outside their respected industries than Kanye. So he doesn't know, who cares? Just a bunch of journalists trying to make a headline out of nothing to attract eye balls and click bait.

Politicians should know of successful people with money and influence--especially if they're famous. I think John Tory handled the situation tactfully. The politicians who walk around thinking it's OK to be ignorant are the ones who'll appear out of touch in time.

Politicians should know of successful people with money and influence--especially if they're famous. I think John Tory handled the situation tactfully. The politicians who walk around thinking it's OK to be ignorant are the ones who'll appear out of touch in time.

There are a lot of successful people with money and influence. Doesn't mean you can remember them all, his staff should have informed him of who Kanye West is and what is the connection with the Pan Am games.

This is hilarious. I love our mayor even more now.

He probably confused Drake and Kanye. Imo I respect him for knowing neither.

*I'm* actually presuming he confused Kanye with K'naan--which'd actually be an admirably forgivable confusion.

There are a lot of successful people with money and influence. Doesn't mean you can remember them all, his staff should have informed him of who Kanye West is and what is the connection with the Pan Am games.

It's hard not to know of Kanye West. No one cares if it's the CEO of a private corporation who's out of touch, but it reflects badly on a politician to be seen as out of touch in any way.

kanye rob pope.JPG

http://iconosquare.com/p/1020197526085928742_10521376

Attachments

• kanye rob pope.JPG
    kanye rob pope.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 374
It's hard not to know of Kanye West. No one cares if it's the CEO of a private corporation who's out of touch, but it reflects badly on a politician to be seen as out of touch in any way.

When did Tory start not knowing who Mr. Kim K. is? Tory screwed up where he was born, a faux pas to be sure but I only expect fans to know everything about "celebrities". Anyway, one would assume the headliner in this case to be Canadian, so... it's not making mistakes, we re all human, it's how we deal with the situation; the Fords prefer to lie and invent scapegoats, Tory owned the situation and did a self deprecating video.

Well that's my two cents.

Norm Kelly also nailed it on the head re: Pitbull (has he done anything original or is he always just ft. Pitbull)?)

Back