News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Another case of TL,DR? Slow news day so Col. Flagg is trying to create a Tory problem:

His Worship John Liberal's Official Opposition
14 hrs ·
BREAKING: $20 MILLION (yes, million) in parking tickets canceled under Tory's watch...without Tory knowing about it.

"I'm ticked off at the fact that it clearly represents a failure of management and I'm not sure exactly where the failure is," said Tory.

Expect Tory to introduce 'revenue tools' soon to make up for the lost $20 million.

City cancels $20M worth of parking tickets because of slow court process
The City of Toronto has slammed the brakes on prosecuting around $20 million worth of parking tickets.

Lawyers from the city went to court on Friday and withdrew 880,000 contested tickets that were issued between 2002 and 2012 but were moving too slowly through the court system, the Toronto Sun has learned.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/0...parking-tickets-because-of-slow-court-process

Staff warned group not to publicize John Tory’s support for refugee efforts
The June e-mails said that although the mayor’s office was happy to lend moral support, conflict-of-interest rules restricted what he could do or say. “The Mayor cannot use his position or the weight of his office to further a private fundraising effort, no matter how noble or worthy the cause,” Mr. Eby said. It’s not clear what, if anything, changed between then and now, or whether the reference to conflict-of-interest rules was merely an attempt by the mayor’s staff to wrest back control over the arrangements.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-support-for-refugee-efforts/article26235313/

When I saw the Star story my brain went into compare-&-contrast mode: Ford charity v. Tory charity.

Every time the Fords ranted about no property tax increases they would spin into their "we donate our salaries to charity", or hype some donation to a playground improvement (in Ward 2), or Robbie's football 'charity', or the bobble head sales are going to charity, or "the family's making a contribution to the hospital" they've received treatment in, or perhaps the crassest example, handing out $20s in a TCHC lobby and the Ford Fest "community BBQs". Perceived conflicts or interest? Oh, right, You Can't Teach conflict of interest!

Tory's Civic Action type charity is a whole different kettle of fish, but he too insists that property taxes need not be raised, but at least he doesn't usually trumpet the charities he donates to privately as a private citizen. It's kinda of Noblesse Oblige "philanthropy" rather than blatant "sit up and beg" hucksterism.

I liked Nenshi's using his position to call out the Minister on the culmination of Harperism's policies on citizenship and immigration and the underlying racism and xenophobia that increasingly has been the hallmark of this government's world view. Or the Finnish PM's giving up his house for refugee families or the Pope bringing them into the Vatican. I think they're better role models for the kind of change in the "status quo" that needs to occur on a more global scale.

So, when does the "John Tory Must Go" group get formed by disgruntled Ford Nation supporters?

So, when does the "John Tory Must Go" group get formed by disgruntled Ford Nation supporters?

Probably when they can find interest in a sit-in at City Hall, until then there is always the "His Worship John Liberal's Official Opposition" run by Col. Flagg.

mississauga no olympics.JPG

http://www.pressreader.com/canada/t...rio-edition/20150911/281616714148462/TextView

Attachments

• mississauga no olympics.JPG
    mississauga no olympics.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 275
Toronto doesn’t need an Olympics to make itself better: Arthur

Toronto mayor John Tory closed the door on a 2024 Olympic bid on Tuesday, and frankly, it didn’t sound like he had a lot of choice. The sight of a Toronto mayor being sensible is still a little strange, but Tory did it.

city council voted not to consider an Olympic bid as recently as 2014, and was far from united this time around. Tory didn’t mention Rob and Doug Ford barking like dogs in what may be the unofficial beginning of a 2018 mayoral race, but it hung in the air.

“I’m just not into declaring that there should be a Ferris wheel somewhere, or that kind of stuff,” said Tory, in a dig at Doug. In fairness, he didn’t rule out a monorail.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/amate...an-olympics-to-make-itself-better-arthur.html

Didn't I read somewhere that collecting on that $20 million in tickets would cost something like $23 million?

And wouldn't Flagg otherwise be railing against parking tickets on principle as a manifestation of the 'war on the car', the unbearable 'oppression' of drivers, etc.?

Yup, basically dealing with it would cost more than what it would take in. As to the issue itself - as if it just manifested itself during Tory's tenure. What has his ex-worship done about it (other than tying up the cops with his, err, extracurricular activities)

AoD

Didn't I read somewhere that collecting on that $20 million in tickets would cost something like $23 million?

And wouldn't Flagg otherwise be railing against parking tickets on principle as a manifestation of the 'war on the car', the unbearable 'oppression' of drivers, etc.?

Adding to AoD, right now Col. Flagg, as the Fords, are taking any opportunity to prove they still exist and are relevant. It's just like Robbie constantly bringing up Garbage outsourcing west of Yonge, it's mostly a failure so far but he clings to it like Woodbine Live!

Right now The Fords are as effectual as a fart in a wind storm.

Back