News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What free subways? Do you mean the province's already funded LRTs? Or the provinces already funded GO RER plans?

It doesn't really matter what plan he's plagiarizing for SmartTrack....it's the "no tax increase" to pay for it that creases me. It isn't funded, and even it it were, why would Torontonians want to ride his dink line with 15 minute headways and inconvenient station locations?

Sounds like another 905 commuter line, except John Tory has no jurisdiction over how to create the bus feeder lines that will service those 905 stations it all relies on. I know very few of those imaginary 200,000 riders/day won't be using that "Unilever" station.

John Tory simply does not have any transit plan for the City of Toronto. That's strange considering ran on that platform.

What free subways? Do you mean the province's already funded LRTs? Or the provinces already funded GO RER plans?

For the record, Sheppard got funding in May 2009 (Prov. & Feds) and Finch in April 2009 (Prov.).

For the record, Sheppard got funding in May 2009 (Prov. & Feds) and Finch in April 2009 (Prov.).

Also for the record, theoretically, other rapid transit in Toronto identified in the Big Move should be funded by the province and whatever they end up choosing to generate > $1 billion. That includes
* Downtown Relief Line
* Yonge Line extension
* GO Crosstown Line
* Dundas BRT
* Waterfront West LRT
* Finch LRT (from Humber College to Pearson)
* Eglinton LRT (from Mt Dennis to Pearson)
* Highway 427 North and South BRT
* Jane LRT
* Don Mills LRT
* 407 Transitway
* Steeles LRT/BRT
* Scarborough/Malvern LRT/BRT
* McCowan LRT/BRT

Is there any money sitting aside right now for the Finch & Sheppard LRTs? Otherwise, only Eglinton is actually funded.

As in sitting in a trust account? No, and neither is Eglinton. Pre-funding a project, as was done for Spadina, is pretty rare and usually only done to hide a larger than expected surplus.

There are promised earmarks in future budgets, which is the same as for the remaining work on Eglinton (the bulk still comes out of future Ontario budgets and doesn't have contractual obligations yet).

Last edited:
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/28/tory-will-sit-on-police-services-board

I know that not everyone likes John Tory, but he takes his job seriously.

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat
BREAKING John Tory has resigned as a Director of the Rogers Communications Inc. board #TOpoli
Ann Hui @annhui
John Tory has also resigned from the Board of Metro Inc.
Don Peat @reporterdonpeat
John Tory says he will not resign from the Advisory Committee of the Rogers Control Trust #TOpoli
Ann Hui @annhui
John Tory says he will declare a conflict of interest on matters related to Billy Bishop Airport
Ann Hui @annhui
This, by the way, is all being announced at 4:30 p.m. on a Friday.
Ann Hui @annhui
Letter from integrity commissioner advises John Tory to "formally declare an interest and recuse yourself" from island airport debates/votes

All on a Friday afternoon!

Last edited:
A twitter rumor says that Tory is considering DMW as deputy mayor. Yuck!

Brian Perry @BTP1960
Even if DMW does become DM,it's a figurehead position. I doubt Tory will be incapacitated by too many drunken binges. Still..awful choice.

Keep in mind that Norm Kelly only got all of that power because Rob was a mess. Don't expect Tory to be pissing on trees...

Last edited:

First his heads of staff, now his executive. Tory's Bay Street cronyism is starting to show.

Jonathan Goldsbie @goldsbie · 5m 5 minutes ago
Minnan-Wong, Thompson, and senior Tory staffer Vic Gupta all used to sit together on the board of the Albany Club: http://bit.ly/1w2ANHo

It wasn't a Twitter rumour. It was in a Globe and Mail article posted last night, which was then talked about on Twitter (I first saw it mentioned by Ben Spurr of NOW Magazine).

"Mr. Tory would not reveal his picks, saying those have yet to be finalized. But several sources told The Globe he is seriously considering Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong for deputy mayor. Mr. Minnan-Wong, the conservative councillor for Don Valley East, has been at city hall for 20 years and most recently was chair of the public works committee."

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/t...t-of-interest/article21835595/?service=mobile

Remember, Tory is a walking conflict-of-interest. There will be many items were Tory will have to step away from and I suppose in the council chamber the deputy mayor would take his place.

A deputy mayor is an important position, and should be considered second in command. Maybe Councillor Michael Thompson should be considered as deputy mayor.

mthompson.jpg

BTW. William Peyton Hubbard was the first black deputy mayor. See link. His son, Frederick Langdon Hubbard (see link), was chair of the Toronto Transportation Commision (TTC).

Attachments

• mthompson.jpg
    mthompson.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 547
I know some people take issue with Michael Thompson over his voting record, but he is a good councillor and represents our ward well.

Last edited:

Back