News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It's just mind boggling how Ford acts like he is the mayor. Like as if Tory, or as Ford calls him, ''John down there at City Council" doesn't exist
Nature abhors a vacuum- Ford fills the void left by Tory.

Where have we seen any sort of actual leadership from him this term?

Nature abhors a vacuum- Ford fills the void left by Tory.

Where have we seen any sort of actual leadership from him this term?

You're forgetting that Toronto City Hall is a "child" of Queens Park. Especially with a bully like Doug Ford at the province's helm, Doug can and does what he wants.

Yeah, but Tory almost seems resigned to his fate as a meek second player.

At the very least, if he can't stop Ford, he should be working closely with him and trying to blunt/redirect some of Ford's attacks- why was Tory in the dark about Ford's transit plans, the cuts to city funding, etc.?

Tory is completely spineless but I'm not sure Keesmaat would have been any better. I voted for her but I ended up unfollowing her on twitter because of her constant barrage of tweets on bikes and streetcars. Like it or not, a lot of us drive, and need to for work, especially in the suburbs.

You're forgetting that Toronto City Hall is a "child" of Queens Park. Especially with a bully like Doug Ford at the province's helm, Doug can and does what he wants.

Because of which, Toronto City Hall has to listen to above, aka Ford the "bully"

Tory is completely spineless but I'm not sure Keesmaat would have been any better. I voted for her but I ended up unfollowing her on twitter because of her constant barrage of tweets on bikes and streetcars. Like it or not, a lot of us drive, and need to for work, especially in the suburbs.

Keesmaat I find in general just frequently brags about the "urban lifestyle", and it can be annoying at times, that's why I don't always pay attention to her social media accounts

The mayor is a relatively weak position, even within council. It wouldn't matter who got elected, Ford would steamroll over them.

Having a different Mayor wouldn't change or prevent what has gone on up until now but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Conservative throw Tory some small bones to save some legacy during the subway for playing nice and not causing a big scene. If it were an NDP type mayor Ford would have likely swiped at the City much harder when pushed.

I really wouldn't even want to know what that would have been like. A smaller council and a subway capital upload to the Province is really not worth getting overly bent out of shape anyway.

The Star reports that the City's Chief Transformation Officer is leaving and notes this:

"For regular residents, a new online interface will complement 311’s phone-based system, letting Torontonians create a “ticket” for service requests, including noise complaints and cracked sidewalk repair; complainants can then follow staff action on the request online, minute by minute, to completion.

“They can still call 311 but online they’ll get a better tracking service,” Kolm said."
See: https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-officer-exits-after-less-than-two-years.html

"

The Star reports that the City's Chief Transformation Officer is leaving and notes this:

"For regular residents, a new online interface will complement 311’s phone-based system, letting Torontonians create a “ticket” for service requests, including noise complaints and cracked sidewalk repair; complainants can then follow staff action on the request online, minute by minute, to completion.

“They can still call 311 but online they’ll get a better tracking service,” Kolm said."
See: https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-officer-exits-after-less-than-two-years.html

"

Wow. So the city so desperately wanted to transform better, hired someone for an entire position and now they're leaving? Not so much of transformation to me.

John Tory has been a massive dissapointment this term speaking from a right leaning perspective. He has not advocated any conservative poisitons this term and is now complaining that the province is cutting gravy supply. He either needs to turn into a pro-gravy advocate or actual find a way to keep important programs running while cutting all the nonsense the city funds.

John Tory has been a massive dissapointment this term speaking from a right leaning perspective. He has not advocated any conservative poisitons this term and is now complaining that the province is cutting gravy supply. He either needs to turn into a pro-gravy advocate or actual find a way to keep important programs running while cutting all the nonsense the city funds.

Agreed. Too damn much money goes to things like snow plowing, roadway maintenance, traffic enforcement, ambulance services, etc. for drivers which really should be covered by scaling up Toronto Parking Authority revenues, a parking tax on private lots, and/or vehicle registration fees. We got sewer/water and garbage out of the property tax bucket, roadways should be next to be converted to pay per use.

That said, we can significantly reduce TTC operating subsidies by applying a King type conversion to most major streets in the city; LRT for Dundas/College, and BRT for most other roadways.

Last edited:

The first part of that statement is one most here could agree with............(ending in the word disappointment)

The rest is your usual.

Believe it or not, you could actually earn the respect of people here if you would state a clear, supportable, evidence-based position now and again.

What gravy? Most provinces by the way, including those more 'conservative' than Ontario fund 100% of public health costs and don't expect cities to pick up any portion of the tab, but I digress.

What nonsense would you like to cut, be specific; then tell us why that item is nonsense, with facts supporting your position.

Either that, or maybe consider not posting here; because it certainly can't be gratifying your ego; and I could do without the grating, repetitive, drone of unsupported poppycock.

Last edited:

Back