News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

At today's council meeting Tory talked about being judged about his leadership style and that it’s up to residents in the next election....

Hope that's not true. Was looking forward to have a lack of solid conservative talent in the next election, hopefully leading to a more progressive candidate. If Tory runs again he'll be a shoe in.

The food fests/tastes-of do have some overlap; and shouldn't. They are typically supposed to be a showcase of the local restaurants in that 'hood and/or the dominant cuisine type. But they do bring in outside vendors to some degree in many of these, and I tend to think that ought to be kiboshed as it doesn't add any value and in fact takes away business from local restos.

I don't agree. A lot of these events draw people into the neighbourhood who might no otherwise go. By all means, allow locals to promote their businesses as well, but drawing someone like myself from the Downtown to the Dundas West Fest also helps local businesses, regardless of who the exhibitors/events are. My daughter and I went out to Brazilfest last year on St. Clair West. We grabbed lunch at Popeye's, picked up a couple of cans of Sumol from a bodega and hit up a pastry shop. Events like this bring business into the neighbourhood; isn't that a good thing?

I don't agree. A lot of these events draw people into the neighbourhood who might no otherwise go. By all means, allow locals to promote their businesses as well, but drawing someone like myself from the Downtown to the Dundas West Fest also helps local businesses, regardless of who the exhibitors/events are. My daughter and I went out to Brazilfest last year on St. Clair West. We grabbed lunch at Popeye's, picked up a couple of cans of Sumol from a bodega and hit up a pastry shop. Events like this bring business into the neighbourhood; isn't that a good thing?

We're in agreement that the fest itself is a good thing.

I think we may differ in terms of the value of seeing the same vendors at multiple festivals.

I think we can have the former with less of the latter.

Didn't he promise two terms only?

I'm not sure it was a promise - more of a desire to only do two.

I think that has changed over time. In December he said it was possible, but would decide further down the line.

Can't blame him if he stayed for another term to try and get some of his projects get started.

That's a bit much don't you think?

Sure, all the 'Ribfests' are the same folks, and food truck festivals have a great deal of overlap.............

But movie nights? Music/buskerfests? You're suggesting every movie or busker is the same?

The food fests/tastes-of do have some overlap; and shouldn't. They are typically supposed to be a showcase of the local restaurants in that 'hood and/or the dominant cuisine type. But they do bring in outside
vendors to some degree in many of these, and I tend to think that ought to be kiboshed as it doesn't add any value and in fact takes away business from local restos.

I meant mainly the street festivals. It started many years ago with just a few, like Greektown and the Polish festival on Roncy, but now every half baked retail strip seems to have one. And yes, when there are a bunch of outside vendors who rotate from one street festival to another who have nothing to do with the local flavor so to speak, it's just pure BS. I grudgingly go because it's cheap entertainment for family, and I like the fact that these streets are (unfortunately only temporarily) taken away from cars.

So long as they are popular and well-attended, they will continue. Keeping it local would help bring many of the events back to their roots, but it seems to be how these things go. I went to a butter tart festival that had just as many non-butter tart vendors as butter tart vendors which seemed silly.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. When you market a specific theme, stick with it - don't water it down with a bunch of unrelated filler.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. When you market a specific theme, stick with it - don't water it down with a bunch of unrelated filler.

It's like that everywhere. When you go to a show like the Royal or Sportsmen's show you always see booths where people are selling dishes or pots and pans.

I meant mainly the street festivals. It started many years ago with just a few, like Greektown and the Polish festival on Roncy, but now every half baked retail strip seems to have one. And yes, when there are a bunch of outside vendors who rotate from one street festival to another who have nothing to do with the local flavor so to speak, it's just pure BS. I grudgingly go because it's cheap entertainment for family, and I like the fact that these streets are (unfortunately only temporarily) taken away from cars.
I stopped going to any of these 'Taste of _______' things a long time ago. Not only are they all pretty much the same but they're extraordinarily dull as well. They all feature 1) a bouncy castle 2) a cheesy band and/or ethnic dance group 3) overpriced food that you have to line up forever for 4) a guarded drinking stockade with all the charm of a medium security prison

Eating food while standing in the miidle of a street on a sweltering day is not my idea of fun. The organisers should really put more effort into making these unique and enjoyable. As it is they seem to be content to simply have closed the street for a day or two as if that's a monumental accomplishment in itself.

I stopped going to any of these 'Taste of _______' things a long time ago. Not only are they all pretty much the same but they're extraordinarily dull as well. They all feature 1) a bouncy castle 2) a cheesy band and/or ethnic dance group 3) overpriced food that you have to line up forever for 4) a guarded drinking stockade with all the charm of a medium security prison

Eating food while standing in the miidle of a street on a sweltering day is not my idea of fun. The organisers should really put more effort into making these unique and enjoyable. As it is they seem to be content to simply have closed the street for a day or two as if that's a monumental accomplishment in itself.

Those cattle stockades where they serve wine and beer have to go. All that is missing from them are guard towers.

Back