News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

On top of that, he's been mostly useless with intracity affairs as well- stuff like the King Street Pilot were pushed largely by the planning department, while his actual policies (i.e. Vision Zero, Smarttrack) have all failed- he's no Miller, that's for sure.

He's failed just as much as Miller.

He's failed just as much as Miller.
In Toronto we have a 'weak mayor' system so to expect a mayor to be strong may be a stretch. We need to remember that he is light-years better than his predecessor. Could he be more decisive and active, YES but he is open to reason (generally) and though I often despair at how slowly things progress here, they DO move forward. Some of the credit for that lies with Tory.

Saw this on Twitter today.

Should have added I saw this on a certain pro-gun/gun lobby twitter feed (not "somewhere on twitter" - just to whitewash that source). Oh and who was the PM in 2014? :rolleyes: (said twitter feed of course ignored that coincidence and then used another stat - gang shootings - to compare Harper and Trudeau). Oh and if you use the source of the data - it go way back to Lastman times - and guess what, gun violence rate is broadly the same during Miller's tenure when compared to Ford.

AoD

Last edited:
In Toronto we have a 'weak mayor' system so to expect a mayor to be strong may be a stretch. We need to remember that he is light-years better than his predecessor. Could he be more decisive and active, YES but he is open to reason (generally) and though I often despair at how slowly things progress here, they DO move forward. Some of the credit for that lies with Tory.

Dunno about that, I feel that one term of Tory was good enough, like sleeping to noon after an all-night bender (aka Ford).

But more than that, and it's starting to feel as if the city's slipped into a 'maintenance mode' of sorts.

Yes, the elder Ford is an issue, but so is basically shutting up and letting things coast for another four years.

Remember Vision Zero = Zero Vision.

Tory is representative of leadership MIA.

A pedestrian safety program meant to help seniors by giving them reflective armbands is facing backlash from many social media users online.

As part of Toronto’s Vision Zero initiative, an event was held on Saturday at Woodside Square shopping mall in Scarborough. The event was intended to educate seniors about being visible when they are out on the streets.
Another person wrote about their own personal experience with reflective clothing, saying: “When a driver hit me with their car (and ran), I was riding in the bike lane, wearing neon yellow and a reflective backpack, with flashing lights, in broad daylight. I know dozens of others with similar stories. Visibility is not the problem.”

D4zsQWYWkAAVRch.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

CiNAGq2UgAADZEi.jpg-large.jpeg.860x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg

Of course, that's not the way it works in real life; it is cheaper and easier to buy a pile of flags than it is to fix a road – and who wants to slow down drivers anyway? But if we are going to stop people who drive from killing thousands of people who walk or bike every year, then we have to turn our thinking upside down.

I don't understand this at all.

The Dutch have no problem accomplishing ELIMINATION of hazard through ENGINEERING solutions and planning street infrastructure without resorting to drastic measures like a BAN CARS hysteria.

I don't understand this at all.

The Dutch have no problem accomplishing ELIMINATION of hazard through ENGINEERING solutions and planning street infrastructure without resorting to drastic measures like a BAN CARS hysteria.

We do engineering and planning? We couldn't even close a single lane down without hysteria.

AoD

SHAMELESS:

Toronto council rejected a bid Wednesday by Ward 22 Coun. Jim Karygiannis to allow for more time to consider reducing the development charges on a townhouse development in his ward built by a local developer and campaign contributor.

Karygiannis (Scarborough-Agincourt) brought the motion for a month-long deferral of the matter just three days after a court order returned him to the office he’d lost earlier in November over election-spending irregularities.
Middlepark director Barry Waltman confirmed in a phone interview that he and his brother Daniel had both donated to Karygiannis’s campaign in June of this year when the 2018 campaign had been reopened to raise legal funds for Karygiannis to defend against a compliance audit.

Records show that each of them donated the maximum allowed by law — $1,200.

The change to the classification would save the developer $723,580, but Toronto planning staff disagreed and recommended that the rate stay the same.
City council didn’t support his deferral, with just six councillors and Mayor John Tory voting in favour.

I think we could probably all name the 6 councillors (Names not yet on web) but I must say I am surprised at Tory!

Tory is a joke, plain and simple. He pins everyday on how the city doesnt have money to do this, and that but when push comes to shove, he'll bend over to developers at a whim. Here's yet another example of that.

IMO in light of the police refusing to enforce criminal traffic offences, we need an investigation.

Is it a lack of staffing? Shifting assignments? A secondary effect of the decline of the car and emergence of the SUV?

Gut feeling- possible signs from McCormack and the Police Union using this as a warning shot against Sanders?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...falls-to-lowest-level-since-amalgamation.html

Tory is a joke, plain and simple. He pins everyday on how the city doesnt have money to do this, and that but when push comes to shove, he'll bend over to developers at a whim. Here's yet another example of that.

So, who do you want to be mayor? Who do you think could win?

Back