News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wait, what would have been a good choice for Toronto then, if Tory is detrimental, never mind lacking.

I need to know.
It's likely the system and not the person. Give the major more power and then he could concentrate on making things better, instead of appeasing the idiot Councillors. It might also draw out better mayoralty candidates if they knew there was more power to the job.

What I suggested was a super-Councillor from each area (4 Community Councils) of Toronto who have 3 times the power of a typical Councillor and the Mayor with 9 times. Thus voting power is [1 x 25 Councillors + 3 x 4 (=12) Super-Councillors + 9 x 1 (=9) Mayor]. Councillor still hold considerable power (more than other 5 combined) - but it becomes clear that those who are responsible for the City (or area) as a whole have the power to shut out an obstructive Councillor who only cares about his few square km ward.

Based on the recent news with the death of a 2-year old from a falling window air-conditioner, the city should make the use of window air-conditioners ABOVE the 3rd floor no longer acceptable. There should be a incentive to replace them with a inside floor air-conditioner for all upper floor apartments and offices.

Of course, to put in an "incentive" would mean spending money on a rebate, and the fiscal conservatives on city council would oppose spending money on safety. So they'll just make it a by-law without any "incentive" to change existing window air-conditioners.

portable-air-conditioner.jpg

From link.

Do I need to drain my portable air conditioner?

In most cases, your portable air conditioner will not need to be drained. Portable air conditioners use a condensation exhaust system to expel water vapor collected during the dehumidifying/cooling process. This moisture is released through the exhaust hose along with hot exhaust air.

From link.

Based on the recent news with the death of a 2-year old from a falling window air-conditioner, the city should make the use of window air-conditioners ABOVE the 3rd floor no longer acceptable. There should be a incentive to replace them with a inside floor air-conditioner for all upper floor apartments and offices.

Of course, to put in an "incentive" would mean spending money on a rebate, and the fiscal conservatives on city council would oppose spending money on safety. So they'll just make it a by-law without any "incentive" to change existing window air-conditioners.

portable-air-conditioner.jpg

From link.

From link.

I think it would be sufficient to prohibit them where a balcony is not present (the balcony can catch one w/o issue should it fall that height).

That said, some landlords have long permitted window a/c only if their staff/contractors installed it.(typically bolting in into the window frame).

There are lots of practical solutions to something such as this.

Portable a/c does have a couple of drawbacks, its generally less efficient and more power intensive than window units.

That can be a problem for low-income renters who have sub-metered power.

Also, the majority of rental units in Toronto only have 60amp electrical power, even in 3-brdm units. That means a large draw compressor can easily blow a fuse or trip a breaker.

To address issues such as these:

1) A code requirement to get rid of fuses in favour of breakers would greatly reduce fire hazard (people often put 20amp or even 30amp fuses on wires rated for 15amp)

This could be a requirement for all turnover units (the cost is easily recovered by higher rent); with a deadline for all units of 2030.

2) Wherever technically feasible (and it is most larger buildings) power to each unit should be upgraded to at least 100amp.

3) Toronto/Ontario must add a maximum temperature to units, like we do with a the minimum that requires heat in the winter. This would make it incumbent on landlord's to install a/c. Clearly an extended phase-in is required; and financial mitigation may be required in some buildings.

4) Finally, we don't want to just explode energy use; many older buildings have asphalt parking lots with little or no shade which act as heat sinks and inflate daytime and more notably nighttime temperatures.

Requiring these to be phased-out in favour of light-coloured, permeable, interlocking pavers, with shade trees which provide at least 70% shade coverage of the lot would significantly reduce summer heat-up of buildings and allow lower power usage and a/c requirements.

Last edited:
I think it would be sufficient to prohibit them where a balcony is not present (the balcony can catch one w/o issue should it fall that height).

That said, some landlords have long permitted window a/c only if their staff/contractors installed (typically bolting in into the window frame).

There are lots of practical solutions to something such as thing.

Portable a/c does have a couple of drawbacks, its generally less efficient and more power intensive that window units.

That can be a problem for low-income renters who have sub-metered power.

Also, the majority of rental units in Toronto only have 60amp electrical power, even in 3-brdm units. That means a large draw compressor can easily blow a fuse or trip a breaker.

To address issues such as these:

1) A code requirement to get rid of fuses in favour of breakers would greatly reduce fire hazard (people often put 20am or even 30amp fuses on wires rated for 15amp)

This could be a requirement for all turnover units (the cost is easily recovered by higher rent; with a deadline for all units of 2030.

2) Wherever technically feasible (and it is most larger buildings) power to each unit should be upgraded to at least 100amp.

3) Toronto/Ontario must add a maximum temperature to units, like we do with a the minimum that requires heat in the winter. This would make it incumbent on landlord's to install a/c. Clearly an extended phase-in is required; and financial mitigation may be required in some buildings.

4) Finally, we don't want to just explode energy use; many older buildings have asphalt parking lots with little or no shade which act as heat sinks and inflate daytime and more notably nighttime temperatures.

Requiring these to be phased-out in favour of light-coloured, permeable, interlocking pavers, with shade trees which provide at least 70% shade coverage of the lot would significantly reduce summer heat-up of buildings and allow lower power usage and a/c requirements.

Best location for any air conditioning unit (central, window, ductless, or portable) is in the shade (with a breeze or air circulation around it). Here in Toronto, that would be on the north side of a building, followed by the east (afternoon shade). Worst location would be in the sun, that would be the south side of a building, followed by the west side (afternoon sun).

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing any window air conditioning units anywhere in Europe.

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing any window air conditioning units anywhere in Europe.

They are used; though it is less common.

But they tend to have, in older cities, much higher ceiling heights, and larger, un-screened windows, which helps moderate things quite a bit.

Shorter buildings in most cases are also less prone to the degree of overheating you get in a 30-storey slab tower.

I remember finding Rome quite oppressive in mid-July; but my older hotel had what must have been 12ft ceilings and a window from 2ft up to 11ft up, which fully opened onto an interior courtyard.

It still wasn't as cool as I would prefer; but much nicer than outside in the sun; or what would happen in a slab tower here in similar conditions.

They are used; though it is less common.

But they tend to have, in older cities, much higher ceiling heights, and larger, un-screened windows, which helps moderate things quite a bit.

Shorter buildings in most cases are also less prone to the degree of overheating you get in a 30-storey slab tower.

I remember finding Rome quite oppressive in mid-July; but my older hotel had what must have been 12ft ceilings and a window from 2ft up to 11ft up, which fully opened onto an interior courtyard.

It still wasn't as cool as I would prefer; but much nicer than outside in the sun; or what would happen in a slab tower here in similar conditions.

You can probably get away with evaporative cooling in Mediterranean dry-heat too.

AoD

I don't find there's a need for A/Cs if you're not some ill or frail human. Close the curtains during the day. Air out at night. It's fine. I live in a 70s commie block and I survive well enough. In Italy they use outside blinds that keep shit real cool indoors. More of that would help.

The minimum heat requirement is a bloody joke, by the way. September 1-June 21? At 21C? Are you mad? I have my landlord shut my heat off every year because it's ridiculously hot. Why the hell is it so high? 18C would suffice. Our building has hot water-heated floors so 21C minimum is just deathly. We can't even control our own heat, though each unit has a sensor.
These units used to have thermostats but the whole building was wired by a drunk and the thermostats controlled the floor above your unit, making them utterly useless.

I don't find there's a need for A/Cs if you're not some ill or frail human. Close the curtains during the day. Air out at night. It's fine. I live in a 70s commie block and I survive well enough. In Italy they use outside blinds that keep shit real cool indoors. More of that would help.

The minimum heat requirement is a bloody joke, by the way. September 1-June 21? At 21C? Are you mad? I have my landlord shut my heat off every year because it's ridiculously hot. Why the hell is it so high? 18C would suffice. Our building has hot water-heated floors so 21C minimum is just deathly. We can't even control our own heat, though each unit has a sensor.
These units used to have thermostats but the whole building was wired by a drunk and the thermostats controlled the floor above your unit, making them utterly useless.

You'll have to speak for yourself on the a/c.

I wither in humidex values above 26 or so..........so if the raw temp in a unit is 25 or more on a humid day I have trouble breathing.

While I am overweight, I can still hike 15km w/o missing a beat; in under 4 hours; but I find that level of warmth very taxing.

We all have different levels of tolerance, I'm more amenable to cool weather, I can be in shorts 12C if its sunny out and there's no wind.

Some people would shiver with a winter coat on.

You'll have to speak for yourself on the a/c.

I wither in humidex values above 26 or so..........so if the raw temp in a unit is 25 or more on a humid day I have trouble breathing.

That's what I'm saying....it doesn't get that hot in here. I can't sleep with the temp at 21, never mind 25. I'd not be able to sleep all summer.

We all have different levels of tolerance, I'm more amenable to cool weather, I can be in shorts 12C if its sunny out and there's no wind.

Wim Hoff!

Some people would shiver with a winter coat on.

Not Wim Hoff!

That's what I'm saying....it doesn't get that hot in here. I can't sleep with the temp at 21, never mind 25. I'd not be able to sleep all summer.

Wim Hoff!

Not Wim Hoff!

I have a digital thermometer in my living room; I've seen it reach 28C in the summer.

How does it get that high? Single-pane windows? Cooking a feast all day? Southern exposure as well? No curtains/blinds?

I don't know what mine gets to but it sure as hell isn't anything near that.

How does it get that high? Single-pane windows? Cooking a feast all day? Southern exposure as well? No curtains/blinds?

I don't know what mine gets to but it sure as hell isn't anything near that.

Full southern exposure; no daytime feasts; black-out curtains.

Back