News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The future of CafeTO is up for discussion.

From KWT's newsletter:

1631208438093.png

Survey link is here:

The future of CafeTO is up for discussion.

From KWT's newsletter:

View attachment 347551

Survey link is here:

As usual, it is not a very well constructed survey. I am certainly in favour of patios BUT I also like sidewalks and the City seems to give priority to the patios and pays less attention to the needs of pedestrians. A couple of years ago they had a very extensive review of the rules and passed an updated by-law. See: https://www.toronto.ca/services-pay.../sidewalk-cafes-and-marketing-displays-bylaw/ With covid they seem to have allowed many bars/restaurants to narrow the walkable sidewalk even lower than the not too generous width set in the by-law and the new policy of ensuring pedestrians have a clear straight pathway is often ignored. I can understand some leniency due to covid but the survey did not really allow one to say that you like patios BUT.....

As usual, it is not a very well constructed survey. I am certainly in favour of patios BUT I also like sidewalks and the City seems to give priority to the patios and pays less attention to the needs of pedestrians. A couple of years ago they had a very extensive review of the rules and passed an updated by-law. See: https://www.toronto.ca/services-pay.../sidewalk-cafes-and-marketing-displays-bylaw/ With covid they seem to have allowed many bars/restaurants to narrow the walkable sidewalk even lower than the not too generous width set in the by-law and the new policy of ensuring pedestrians have a clear straight pathway is often ignored. I can understand some leniency due to covid but the survey did not really allow one to say that you like patios BUT.....

I used the blocks where you could write to say what I wanted to say! LOL

Which was essentially this:

Pro-Cafe TO; in the general sense of pro more patios and more taking away space from street parking.
But, more sensitivity needed on layout and buffering; best to focus on spaces where the street can be permanently narrowed or made into a flex-street with removable, but solid bollards for enhanced safety, and clarity of placement of patios/bike lanes etc.

Encroachment is an issue, though not universally serious. Focus on defined and buffered spaces and education and enforcement as required.

I used the blocks where you could write to say what I wanted to say! LOL

Which was essentially this:

Pro-Cafe TO; in the general sense of pro more patios and more taking away space from street parking.
But, more sensitivity needed on layout and buffering; best to focus on spaces where the street can be permanently narrowed or made into a flex-street with removable, but solid bollards for enhanced safety, and clarity of placement of patios/bike lanes etc.

Encroachment is an issue, though not universally serious. Focus on defined and buffered spaces and education and enforcement as required.
I did so too but the questions could really have been better constructed as the analysis of 'extra comments' in questionnaires is not always properly tabulated! As one might expect, our views are virtually identical! :->

For the people big box stores.

Costco to anchor redeveloped north Etobicoke plaza

From link.

Economic development, job creation and revitalization are priorities that we all share here in north Etobicoke. The redevelopment of the old Sears plaza at Islington Avenue and Rexdale Boulevard is a key project in our community to help us achieve positive outcomes in these areas. Today, I am coming to you with the latest exciting updates on this redevelopment.

As previously highlighted in my last few hard copy newsletters to the community, the redevelopment of 2200 Islington Ave. will involve 50,000 square metres of urbanized and pedestrian-friendly retail space, 18 stores and the reconfiguration of the existing intersection at Islington and Rexdale. The anchor retailer will be a brand-new Costco Wholesale, which will not only bring more shopping options and convenience to our community, but will also create hundreds of well-paying jobs for local residents, especially youth.

Recently, the Rice Group (the developers of the site) received approval from the City of Toronto which allows them to proceed to the building permit and construction phase of the project. Construction of the parking deck and early site work will begin this summer, followed by construction of the retail buildings into next year. In addition to these updates, work is already well underway on the reconfiguration of the Islington/Rexdale intersection, with final work to be completed by August 2021.
2200%20Islington%20Rendering%20May%202020.JPG

The redevelopment of 2200 Islington Ave. includes 18 stores and the reconfiguration of the existing intersection at Islington Avenue and Rexdale Boulevard.

The projected date of completion for this exciting project is late-2023/early-2024.

During the best of times, this is a development that is welcomed for all of the economic and social benefits it brings. However, as we come out of COVID-19, a pandemic that has taken a toll on our local and broader economy, this project is even more crucial because of the well-paying construction and retail jobs, as well as economic growth, that it will bring to our community.

Going forward, I will continue to work with local residents, the Rice Group and other stakeholders to see this project to completion, and to ensure that it serves as a catalyst for further economic growth, revitalization and job creation in North Etobicoke.

Back