News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Though Tory was certainly not a perfect Mayor (and I did not vote for him last year) and he lost any credibility with me by secretly pressing for strong mayor powers, we should accept that these are not Toronto-specific problems and (low bar though it may be) he was MUCH better than his predecessor. His epitaph could be "He could have been worse"
That's a terrible reason, but it's a reason nevertheless. Tory was a holding pattern mayor until we settled after the Ford years. Now, if we can only fix Queen's Park we can get on with things in this city.

I am scratching my head over this assertion from the province that the acting mayor cannot use the strong powers. Are they talking through their hat?

"When Tory does officially resign, council will declare his seat vacant, and Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvie (Ward 25, Scarborough—Rouge Park) will take over until a byelection is held. Legal experts who spoke to the Star said the legislation doesn’t explicitly prevent an interim mayor from wielding the strong-mayor veto. However, the province said Sunday the powers aren’t transferable."

I read the same piece.........

A link to the relevant legislation:

From the above, in the section titled:

1676300219490.png

1676300138777.png

It appears the province retained for itself, in the legislation, the right to re-write the City budget rules under the Act.

Though, regulations generally have a time lag in taking effect.

I can't find any reference in the Act to 'Acting Mayor' or 'Acting Head of Council'.

Which does make for an interesting question, a Mayor pro-tem really a Mayor?

LOL

I read the same piece.........

A link to the relevant legislation:

From the above, in the section titled:

View attachment 455998

View attachment 455993

It appears the province retained for itself, in the legislation, the right to re-write the City budget rules under the Act.

Though, regulations generally have a time lag in taking effect.

I can't find any reference in the Act to 'Acting Mayor' or 'Acting Head of Council'.

Which does make for an interesting question, a Mayor pro-tem really a Mayor?

LOL
If the legal experts didn’t see any legislation that limits the powers of the mayor pro-tem I would say yes. And I would have more respect for the province if they had said "hahaha, of course there's nothing in the strong-mayor legislation that says the mayor pro-tem can't do strong-mayor, but as you know we can change that if we like."

John Tory to remain mayor until Wednesday, Toronto councillor says

From link.
Toronto Mayor John Tory will remain in his current role until Wednesday, a city councillor confirmed.

York Centre–Downsview councillor James Pasternak told reporters that Tory will attend the mid-week budget meeting before formally resigning as mayor.

Tory is expected to wield the powers, including a veto, to help push through the budget with only one-third of support from city council.

Tory announced he wasstepping down on Friday night after admitting to an affair with a former staff member that developed during the COVID-19 pandemic. The relationship ended mutually in early 2023. The woman, reportedly 31 years old, has not been identified.

Tory has been married to Barbara Hackett, a home builder and renovator, since 1978. The soon-to-be-former mayor said he believes that he must commit himself to the work required to repair his personal relationships.
When Tory formalizes his resignation as mayor, it’s likely Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvie will take on the interim role until the city holds a by-election.

The provincial government indicated strong mayor powers do not transfer over to the interim or acting mayor.

“Once a new mayor has been elected pursuant to the by-election, that person will be the head of council and will be able to exercise the strong mayor powers,” a government spokesperson told CityNews.

Those powers include the mayor’s ability to veto changes council makes to the budget, which can only be reversed by a two-thirds council majority.

Tory was re-elected to a third term in the mayor’s office in October after a campaign that saw him tout his years of experience in the role. He defeated a range of candidates, including Gil Penalosa, who placed second.

RE: Tory staying on through the budget meeting on Wednesday, would it be possible for councillors to deny quorum?

This could be explosive. If Tory starts vetoing things and using his strong mayor powers after he has himself already said he's resigning (due to bad judgement) that's going to be quite a situation.

If the legal experts didn’t see any legislation that limits the powers of the mayor pro-tem I would say yes. And I would have more respect for the province if they had said "hahaha, of course there's nothing in the strong-mayor legislation that says the mayor pro-tem can't do strong-mayor, but as you know we can change that if we like."

I have now confirmed that the Strong Mayor powers do not transfer to the Deputy Mayor when she becomes 'Acting Mayor'.

Which is why we also see above that Tory apparently wants to stick around until the end of the budget meeting on Monday Wednesday so he can veto any changes from Council.

Last edited:
I have now confirmed that the Strong Mayor powers do not transfer to the Deputy Mayor when she becomes 'Acting Mayor'.

Which is why we also see above that Tory apparently wants to stick around until the end of the budget meeting on Monday so he can veto any changes from Council.

How else would the big cop budget increase get funded from TTC service cuts? Just one more kick in the teeth.

He was elected in October. The budget was put forward in his term.

The budget for 2024 will be different.

Wednesday. We can wait a couple of days. He shagged a willing subordinate, it's no reason we can't give him a day or so.
IF a person feels the need to resign due to their actions, then they need to do so AT ONCE. If he had decided it was not a resigning matter, I would have disagreed but would have accepted it's his choice. He is now trying to have his cake and eating it, something he is apparently practiced at.

IF a person feels the need to resign due to their actions, then they need to do so AT ONCE. If he had decided it was not a resigning matter, I would have disagreed but would have accepted it's his choice. He is now trying to have his cake and eating it, something he is apparently practiced at.
Took Rob Ford to the end of his term to finally get out of city hall, and his actions were worse.

Took Rob Ford to the end of his term to finally get out of city hall, and his actions were worse.
Walter: That is NOT the point. Tory did not have to resign, he decided he should do so because HE thought his actions were not appropriate. That means he needs to resign RIGHT NOW.

(Of course, Rob Ford should have resigned and, in my opinion, his behaviour was FAR more 'inappropriate for a Mayor, but he obviously did not agree.)

Back