News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The 'strong mayor' system is fine if the mayor is going to do what you want (or what I want!) . If the strong mayor is someone like Rob Ford a city needs the 'brake' applied by councillors. Be careful what you wish for.

Bookmark for future reference.

Doug Ford wants to bring in a U.S.-style 'strong-mayor' system for cities: 'one person in charge'

See link.

Trump says he wants the US to treat him like North Korea treats Kim Jong Un

See link.

So similar that we have to worry.

Is Toronto having another "year of the gun" situation? We are up to 40 homicides including the van attack...

Is Toronto having another "year of the gun" situation? We are up to 40 homicides including the van attack...

Doesn't look like it, but I do have to say there are quite a number of amateur morons running around shooting at people and not hitting their targets. These fools don't know how to shoot straight aaaand they pick the dumbest times to make the hit. A playground in the afternoon? Fail.
They obviously don't care about being discreet (idiots) or about bystanders (sociopaths) but how are you fool enough to go at someone and not be sure you've got the kill? You best be hiding after that....in New Zealand.
Or stop using hand guns with one hand like a bloody idiot.

Or just stop shooting each other, I'll take that over anything else.

The "van attack" does not involve any gun or guns.

The other 30 homicides are pretty gun (and knife) heavy.

Doesn't look like it, but I do have to say there are quite a number of amateur morons running around shooting at people and not hitting their targets. These fools don't know how to shoot straight aaaand they pick the dumbest times to make the hit. A playground in the afternoon? Fail.
They obviously don't care about being discreet (idiots) or about bystanders (sociopaths) but how are you fool enough to go at someone and not be sure you've got the kill? You best be hiding after that....in New Zealand.
Or stop using hand guns with one hand like a bloody idiot.

Or just stop shooting each other, I'll take that over anything else.

Same here.

If you exclude the van attack (which is bit of a unique incident) it'd be around 30 - double that you'd get a rate that is broadly comparable to previous years.

Yes, a terror attack tends to mess up the statistics.

On the subject of violence in our City, while any is too much, it remains important to say Toronto is among the very safest major cities in the world, and has a homicide count well below its peak with almost 50% more people than then. Though, I hasten to add, as @MTown points out, 'occurrences' are up.

That said, we always want to do better, and so we should.

The focus must absolutely be on early intervention and prevention.

People don't spontaneously become sociopaths or murderers at 17, 18, or 19 etc.

Its a process that begins when things go wrong relatively early.

It is not cause by poverty, but it is exacerbated by it.

Put simply, for the vast majority, if you feel you have hope, you have something to lose, and other people who have faith in you, you rarely end up choosing a life of crime.

Conversely, if you have no hope, feel excluded/ignored, and imagine you have little or nothing to lose, then a gang or a life of crime seems a much more appealing choice.

2/3 of those in US prisons do not have a HS diploma.

That's a remarkable correlation right there.

Intervention early takes 4 forms:

First help people not become parents who aren't ready through good sex ed. and readily available birth control.

Second, help young/at-risk parents be better parents with free pre-natal classes, parental classes and extra support, post-birth, and pre-school.

Third, intervene with students are falling behind academically quickly. I know many teachers and have been told the most challenged students can be a full grade level behind by grade 3, which compounds to more than 2 years behind by HS, a surefire path to dropping out and difficulty.

Those same teachers have said that 'summer school' as offered is not the answer; that its barely a babysitting service.

A variety of alternatives need to be looked at from teaching assistants providing one on one support to free remedial classes on weekends or one or two evenings a week to help students who need it catch up.

Fourth, we know there's a strong connection between male criminality and lack of a good adult role model in a young man's life. We need to focus on programs that link young men at risk to caring mentors who will inspire them, help them and support them.

If we can get those done, I see no reason we can't cut the number of drop outs by 1/2 and criminals by 1/3.

Combine that w/measures to combat poverty and make life better for those who work hard to better themselves and their communities and a substantial difference can be achieved.

Failing that, at least mandatory marksmanship courses for those too lazy to practice on their own. Shooting up everything and everyone except your target is pathetic. These MOs boggle the mind.

Back