News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

By the way thanks Pud99 for posting those graphics of income changes in Toronto and select Toronto areas. Actually, I feel if you want to know what is really going on in this city, how it reflects in our politics and what we need to work towards in the future all we really need to look at for an overview is those simple graphics.

That is why I feel Tory and the agenda of the inner part of the suburbs, the kind of middle ring of Toronto, is where the focus of Toronto is politically now and should be. The trends you see in the city today will continue or even accelerate. The central city will shift towards being near majority high income with very few low income people left. The outer suburbs are essentially lost and will become virtually entirely low income no matter what we do to intervene. We need to shore up the middle ring of the city and provide more transit and amenities to try to spread inner city prosperity outward from the core (a weird thing to say considering this middle ring already contains some of the richest areas of the city in select regions West and East of the Yonge spine).

Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 11.00.35 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 11.00.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 11.00.35 AM.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 624
Be careful when using income as a proxy for poverty - some of the neighbourhoods we are looking at are aging (esp. older single detached housing) and post-retirement income may very well skew the results downwards (and will have implications as that cohort dies off). We really need to look at the data in more detail.

AoD

We got a competent mayor and all of a sudden private corporations want to do business with us? Well how about that. Great news on the bike share announcement. :)

Tory is far from perfect, but the new council would actually work with him and we wouldn't have people calling in fake bomb threats for sympathy. Like a lot of people, I just want a Ford-free City Hall.
I think anyone but Ford is better for our city.

Any bikeshare expansion is a good thing but it still strikes me as pretty timid. This is a classic case where network effects are the key; people will sign up to the system if it has lots and lots of stations all over the parts of the city they might want to visit. In London and Paris the systems are intensive and extensive enough that you can set out on a bikeshare journey with almost no planning; you know that wherever you're headed, within reason, there will be stations.

The economic case is also undermined by having a too-small network. How many people will pay to subscribe when such a small area is covered?

Anyway, fingers crossed, but I'll be more pleased when 200 (or more) new stations are being announced, rather than 20.

Be careful when using income as a proxy for poverty - some of the neighbourhoods we are looking at are aging (esp. older single detached housing) and post-retirement income may very well skew the results downwards (and will have implications as that cohort dies off). We really need to look at the data in more detail.

AoD

Perhaps, but I don't think it is any secret that once middle class suburban tracts in northern Scarborough and Etobicoke are now where low income immigrants tend to reside.

That said, if anything skews the results it is a high density of working class individuals and families in apartments with middle and upper class in the homes in behind.

Perhaps, but I don't think it is any secret that once middle class suburban tracts in northern Scarborough and Etobicoke are now where low income immigrants tend to reside.

That said, if anything skews the results it is a high density of working class individuals and families in apartments with middle and upper class in the homes in behind.

Just in case anyone interested missed this yesterday: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...nequality_in_five_toronto_neighbourhoods.html

Any bikeshare expansion is a good thing but it still strikes me as pretty timid. This is a classic case where network effects are the key; people will sign up to the system if it has lots and lots of stations all over the parts of the city they might want to visit. In London and Paris the systems are intensive and extensive enough that you can set out on a bikeshare journey with almost no planning; you know that wherever you're headed, within reason, there will be stations.

The economic case is also undermined by having a too-small network. How many people will pay to subscribe when such a small area is covered?

Anyway, fingers crossed, but I'll be more pleased when 200 (or more) new stations are being announced, rather than 20.

Ah, oui. Paris!

There will be some kind of controversy. This is City Hall we are talking about. Maybe Tory will choose the wrong bottle of red wine with his dinner.

There will be some kind of controversy. This is City Hall we are talking about.

I expect some flim-flammery of Jakobekian proportions done right under JoTo's nose. Year 2 1/2 tops.

Back