News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I forgot that Soknacki's fundraiser was tonight.

Don Peat
@reporterdonpeat
John Tory will greet Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi & Prime Minister Stephen Harper when they come to #Toronto tomorrow #TOpoli

I can't imagine Doug Ford doing that.

An interesting appendix I came across in the agenda for the upcoming EcoDev meeting
Toronto employment 2011 vs 2014
Total employed 1,317,327...2011 1,384,409...2014
Office (outside of government 574,969...2011 590,120...2014
Government including Institutional 292,878...2011 306,519...2014
Service 155,540...2011 170,628...2014
Retail 141,567...2100 144,536...2014
Manufacturing 128,572...2011 124,609...2014
Other 43,901...2011 47,937...2014

Last edited:
Really dumb of him to vote in favor of it...

Very good column by Shawn Micallef on this:

http://www.thestar.com/life/2015/04...icy-has-made-this-column-a-sham-micallef.html

Carding is a practice in which Toronto police officers arbitrarily stop citizens, who are disproportionately black males, and ask them questions about what they’re up to, even if they’re not doing anything wrong. The moment that happens, the liberty many of us enjoy in a free and open city evaporates. Most of us who have that liberty don’t even know we have it: it’s just normal.

But a person who has been carded knows. They no longer own the city; the city owns them. It’s a civic relationship that is warped, wrong and racist.

I posted this before, but I was carded in Spain a few months ago and felt completely violated despite having done nothing wrong. I was walking out of a train station, and a cop stopped me as I was walking and asked for ID. He took down some information and asked me what I was doing/where I was going and then sent me on my way.

There was something that made me smile though... The black couple that were walking ahead of me did not get stopped. They were from San Francisco (I had talked to them on the train) and looked shocked that I had been stopped. It's funny being on the other end of things.

It's easy to say carding isn't bad when you have nothing to hide, but when it actually happens to you its a completely different story. It's embarrassing and an inconvenience.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see if these people who say it isn't bad if you have nothing to hide change their tunes if we made it a requirement for police to randomly stop and card one white guy for every black guy they stop.

As I rarely carry ID, it would be interesting to see what the response would be if I was stopped and carded.

Last edited:
To be honest, most of the places I have traveled to advise you to have ID ready for inspection. I think its a common occurrence around the world.

It would be interesting to see if these people who say it isn't bad if you have nothing to hide change their tunes if we made it a requirement for police to randomly stop and card one white guy for every black guy they stop.

As I rarely carry ID, it would be interesting to see what the response would be if I was stopped and carded.

This is an interesting idea. Has it ever been proposed at the Police Services Board. I mean, I guess it should be 'police carding individuals need to show that, over the medium term, the individuals carded have a gender and racial mix that reflects the gender and racial mix of the Toronto population.

If the police say, 'but black people commit more crimes' or 'but women don't need to be carded', then the whole racial backdrop is exposed. If they truly think carding benefits their policing, they'll need to also figure out where the white or asian criminals probably hang out and slap some carding on their butts, to the benefit of our overall crime-solving rates, right?

And it's fair to be required to follow those rules when you're in another country, but here the police are not legally able to compel you to provide ID unless you're suspected of a crime, and as far as I know, there is no legal requirement to carry ID around. I wish I remembered what article I read it in, but apparently (and if I'm remembering correctly) an earlier draft of this policy required the police to inform the people being carded of their right to refuse. The police objected and that part of the policy was removed.

I couldn't care less when a cop stops me to ask a question.

You'd likely just walk away and continue with your life, as you're not being detained.

I couldn't care less when a cop stops me to ask a question.
Let's check back with you if/when it ever happens to see if your opinion has changed.

You'd likely just walk away and continue with your life, as you're not being detained.

Yeah - like a 15-year old black kid is really free to just walk away from a couple of cops.

The problem is a lot of people are reporting that the police give them trouble and escalate the situation when they elect not to show their ID. Until this practice stops they shouldn't be allowed to ask at all.

Back