News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

"Neglect" is the key word. Why don't the parks have people looking at the trees to see if the trees are in trouble and need prunning or replacing?

‘How in the world could this happen?’ Woman dies after being hit by falling tree branch in Trinity Bellwoods Park

Pari Nadimi was identified as the victim. She is the owner of a contemporary art gallery around the corner from the park.

From Link.
In fairness, though there are certainly large dead trees and trees with large dead branches in parks (and streets), it is actually NOT that easy to see if a tree is in danger of falling and what look like healthy trees may have what look like healthy branches - which fall due to a sudden strong gust or heavy rain/snow.

For those who can't see the Twitter verse:

359623014_1348091619394842_1920378384537549591_n.jpg

359676331_3242682319355885_5022430223601754769_n.jpg

I don't wish to denigrate anyone personally; I will say, I thought Janie's reign in parks was incredibly unsuccessful; that she wasn't an effective advocate for her department, which saw budgets depleted and needs go unmet throughout her tenure.

I do understand why people try to say some positive things to someone upon their departure; however, I really must take issue w/the list above.

Parks and Facilities Masterplan - A normative document, largely produced by third party consultants with guidance from staff, that by and large changes very little from what would have been done otherwise.
The Ravine Strategy - Almost entirely unfunded with no significant projects moving forward; it also wasn't necessary, as it largely rehashed and repackaged existing ideas and wish lists.
Parkland Strategy - Mostly unfunded/unimplemented
Forest Management Strategy - ditto
High Park Movement Strategy, as produced by staff was largely flushed down the toilet by Councillor Perks because staff ignored what the community wanted.
Centennial Masterplan - is actually partially funded, one of the few, but the plan itself wasn't really needed, staff already knew what they wanted to do, they just paid consultants to package it.
Toronto Island Masterplan - A complete waste of money, lacking a single working project, and containing a wish list so large that no mayor will ever fund it all in 20 years.

Most of the Community Centre projects identified pre-dated her time as head of Parks, though some do originate with her time as head of Recreation.

Of the Parks listed as accomplishments:

- College Park was poorly designed and executed
- Lillian MacGregor is decent, but was delivered quite late.
- Grange Park only came about because of third party donors and AGO
- Love Park was only delivered because of Waterfront Toronto and a design competition that end-ran Parks

Her tenure has simply not been a good one.

While not entirely her fault; a lack of proper funding was clearly an impediment to success; the department has simply not spent money particularly wisely, nor achieved even basic service delivery or maintenance on many occasions. Meanwhile relations between Parks and other City departments have deteriorated with Parks being generally viewed as unhelpful, uncooperative and slow.

I hope they scour the country and the world for a top tier, ambitious, driven bold head of Parks who will drive higher quality and rates of accomplishment.

The new head of PF&R will then have to be empowered to refresh much of their senior management team as well; and then afforded the necessary resources to achieve.

Attachments

• 1690996036785.png
    1690996036785.png
    342.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Of the Parks listed as accomplishments:

- College Park was poorly designed and executed

I'll have to disagree on this one. It may be unusual in its design, but it's one of the most regularly busy parks in the vicinity of Yonge within the core. Plenty of people out skating during the winter and lunching in the summer and the condo mommies always have their kids there. There are often events, and there's a bi-weekly farmer's market. Just the fact that it has access to three different active streets is a boon many parks don't have. It's rare that I've ever seen it even close to empty; and to me that is a successful park.

I'll have to disagree on this one. It may be unusual in its design, but it's one of the most regularly busy parks in the vicinity of Yonge within the core. Plenty of people out skating during the winter and lunching in the summer and the condo mommies always have their kids there. There are often events, and there's a bi-weekly farmer's market. Just the fact that it has access to three different active streets is a boon many parks don't have. It's rare that I've ever seen it even close to empty; and to me that is a successful park.

The issue is that the landscape, most particularly the sod has been decimated.

This is easily addressed, as I have shown elsewhere in response to requests.

Secondarily, the entrance corridor from Yonge is an uninviting, wind-swept trip hazard.

The play equipment is poorly utilized, because its junk.

The skating works, some of the landscaping works; and the popularity of the space is largely a function of density along with poor or no alternatives.

The nearest parks of size are Queen's Park and Allan Gardens, and they are both a bit far for routine use ( a place to eat lunch, walk the dog etc.).

The space is also poorly integrated w/the POPs space, which itself is in poor condition.

On what date will Olivia Chow appoint councilors to various boards and committees?

Striking Committee meets on the 10th (next week) to approve the appointments, those will then need to be verified by Council. I believe a special meeting will be called for later this month, but its not yet on the schedule.

Just a note to everyone posting Twitter links; many of us cannot follow the link, it prompts for a sign-in.

If you could any of:

Screenshot the preview
Provide a summation
Or link to an original source if applicable

It would be much appreciated.

Striking Committee meets on the 10th (next week) to approve the appointments, those will then need to be verified by Council. I believe a special meeting will be called for later this month, but its not yet on the schedule.
Right after Striking "strikes"

City Council - Meeting 9​

Meeting Date and Status:August 10, 2023 - 2:00 PM - Scheduled (Special)

Right after Striking "strikes"

City Council - Meeting 9​

Meeting Date and Status:August 10, 2023 - 2:00 PM - Scheduled (Special)

TY @DSC

Of course, in pointing out that was now up, you also had me make note that the Striking Ctte Agenda is up, and may be revelatory.

It does not feature recommendations as to who go where, but it does say how many members are on each ctte; and the Councillors who selected a committee as their first/second/third choice.

Of note, for Executive, their are 7 spots on offer, in addition to the Mayor.

Only six councillors selected Executive as their first choice.

1691101965768.png

I would wager that five of the six (first preference) names have been told they will be standing committee chairs and one will be the Deputy Mayor.

* Hmm, the first choice submissions for the Standing Committees don't entirely line-up with the Executive, something will have to give on that.

Ha! Virtually no one wants 'General Government' Only Holyday and Burnside picked it as a first choice.

Even with all the second choices, they don't have enough members. Someone will be sentenced to General government.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
Frankly, the whole list is fascinating! Well worth reading! https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/st/bgrd/backgroundfile-238570.pdf There are clearly OME jobs nobody wants, and some where there are too many Councillors possible. The numbers might have worked with the former larger Councils, not now with the much smaller one. Time to look at requirements!
Make sure all members, councillors and public, on the TTC board actually use the TTC. I would keep Stephen Holyday out of the TTC board.

Back