News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I manage a Condominium in High Park.

Walking throughout that area every day I can see how badly this was needed.

Some properties are covered in leaves to the point where it would be at least a dozen yard bags per household.

Places like North York don't need this service but High Park certainly does.

If you own a house in High Park, you can afford to pay someone to bag your leaves for you. Such is the privilege of wealth.

There are larger and more treed lots in Forest Hill, the Bridle Path and Rosedale that don't receive this service and never have.

Let the lazy and cheap deal w/their issues.

That said, High Park did not have this service before.

I currently live in an area with a lot of old, mature trees. The neighbours have a competition to see who has the most leaf bags. It can be fun. Also, with the leaf machines, people put their leaves out along the curb which is extremely dangerous for those of us who bike. I’ll take the leaf bags any day and am happy to see the machine leaf pick up gone.

I manage a Condominium in High Park.

Walking throughout that area every day I can see how badly this was needed.

Some properties are covered in leaves to the point where it would be at least a dozen yard bags per household.

Places like North York don't need this service but High Park certainly does.
How about a special $60 vacuum leaf collection levee on their taxes, for the 42,000 households affected. This is what it costs.

How about a special $60 vacuum leaf collection levee on their taxes, for the 42,000 households affected. This is what it costs.
The irony that Etobicoke and Scarborough have some of the loudest opposition to bike lanes, claiming the city shouldn’t pay for a service they (falsely) believe very few actually use, and that it’s special treatment for a minority special interest.

Honestly, I would be okay with the city providing these kinds of services on a fee for service basis. Maybe have a mechanism for homeowners in a neighbourhood to vote (a website or something) on whether they want to pay for a particular service as part of their taxes, subject to 5 year review. It would be applied collectively at at least the neighbourhood level as it is impractical to offer such services on a truly ad hoc property-by-property basis. This could go for other much-ballyhooed requests like driveway winrdow clearing.

Honestly, I would be okay with the city providing these kinds of services on a fee for service basis. Maybe have a mechanism for homeowners in a neighbourhood to vote (a website or something) on whether they want to pay for a particular service as part of their taxes, subject to 5 year review. It would be applied collectively at at least the neighbourhood level as it is impractical to offer such services on a truly ad hoc property-by-property basis. This could go for other much-ballyhooed requests like driveway winrdow clearing.
Fair enough, but that seems more in the realm of homeowner’s associations then.

Taking a bus ride through SSW, I notice that *both* Rupasinghe *and* Roy are using the AOC "slanted letter" motif in their signage (also used by Chemi Lhamo in her challenge-from-the-left of Gord Perks last year).

Also, is Michelle Holland/Berardinetti still in any position of endorsement/influence here?

Also, is Michelle Holland/Berardinetti still in any position of endorsement/influence here?

No but her husband thinks he is.

Michelle was one of the worst councilors I have seen for the area. She spent more time on foreign trips paid for by taxpayers than she did at council. I was glad when she got voted out.

No but her husband thinks he is.

Michelle was one of the worst councilors I have seen for the area. She spent more time on foreign trips paid for by taxpayers than she did at council. I was glad when she got voted out.
So whose side is *he* on?

Parthi Kandavel campaign brochure stuck in my door yesterday. 🤔

IMG_6399.jpeg

Parthi Kandavel campaign brochure stuck in my door yesterday. 🤔

View attachment 521660

I agree with Parthi up until Item 3.

Unfortunately, we need to keep cars OFF the road and these red lanes help that. HOV lanes only part time throughout the day will be confusing and likely not even enforced. Nobody will give two s***s if there is 1 person or 5 in a car. As well, do you really think anyone will look at the clock when they use the lanes?

HOV lanes during rush hour are the same as Diamond lanes which people already ignore as it is. I have used the red lanes to get from the STC and to UTSC and the time savings are incredible.

Bluffers Park DOES NOT need a boardwalk. A sidewalk would be useful however I am not sure what they would do with the ditch lanes on the side.

I agree with Parthi up until Item 3.

Unfortunately, we need to keep cars OFF the road and these red lanes help that. HOV lanes only part time throughout the day will be confusing and likely not even enforced. Nobody will give two s***s if there is 1 person or 5 in a car. As well, do you really think anyone will look at the clock when they use the lanes?

HOV lanes during rush hour are the same as Diamond lanes which people already ignore as it is. I have used the red lanes to get from the STC and to UTSC and the time savings are incredible.

Bluffers Park DOES NOT need a boardwalk. A sidewalk would be useful however I am not sure what they would do with the ditch lanes on the side.

1. I have lived in Cliffcrest for over 40 years. I often cycle throughout the neighbourhood. I have never seen or heard that "rooming houses are out of control". Am I missing something? I'd like to hear from other Cliffcrest residents on this 'issue'.

2. With respect to the "sidewalk down the hill". Hasn't this already been planned and funded?

Last August I asked the TRCA's Scarborough Waterfront Project Team about the Brimley Road Multi Use Trail and the West Segment. Here is their response (my bold):

"With respect to the West Segment Shoreline and Multi-Use Trail, the project team will be working to finalize detailed designs by the end of 2023. However, the only portion of this project with secure funding at this time is the Brimley Road South Multi-use Trail that will provide safe access for users into the Park and serve as a construction access road for future shoreline works. Construction for this portion is tentatively scheduled to commence in 2024. Future construction of the West Segment Shoreline Multi-Use Trail that will provide the link to Meadowcliffe will likely be post 2025."

No boardwalk, but a multi use trail.
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 3.53.39 PM.jpg

3. As a cyclist who regularly rides from Cliffcrest to the Danforth cycle track at Victoria Park, I am in favour of the Danforth - Kingston complete street extension. Understood not all Ward 20 voters are in agreement. If we can't get this approved, then I think an interim alternative could be Red Bus / Cycle lanes. Less than ideal.

1. I have lived in Cliffcrest for over 40 years. I often cycle throughout the neighbourhood. I have never seen or heard that "rooming houses are out of control". Am I missing something? I'd like to hear from other Cliffcrest residents on this 'issue'.

Near Birchmount and St Clair this is an issue.

In my neighborhood I know of 2 rooming houses on two parallel side streets and another 2 directly on Birchmount. They are usually well known to the locals but not to the public as they are not entirely legal.

One of the houses is easily identifiable by the 4 cars in the driveway and 2 on the front lawn.

I am not a resident of Cliffcrest and can't speak to the narrow specifics here, but it would not be a surprise if there were several rooming houses and that they were non-compliant w/rules around same. It is an issue in the City as a whole.

2. With respect to the "sidewalk down the hill". Hasn't this already been planned and funded

Yes, * its in the budget for 2024 - proposed.

3. As a cyclist who regularly rides from Cliffcrest to the Danforth cycle track at Victoria Park, I am in favour of the Danforth - Kingston complete street extension. Understood not all Ward 20 voters are in agreement. If we can't get this approved, then I think an interim alternative could be Red Bus / Cycle lanes. Less than ideal.

I support what staff have in mind here; however, the full disclosure of those plans is on hold til after this election. The new councillor will then get a peak, followed by the general public early in the new year.

Back