News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I don't disagree with the posts above.

I simply think its important to say this will not, unto itself, deliver 'affordable' housing, nor will it do so in real time, that is to say, this a project of 7-20 years in length, if we're ambitious about it, and people need places to live, tonight.

We can and should pursue better inter-city rail in Southern Ontario, and we should distribute growth away from the centre of Toronto.......those are good ideas; just not sufficient, on their own to address the crisis we face, nor will their benefits be felt in the near term.
Turning Peterborough or other outlying communities into commuter hubs will bring gentrification, not affordable housing.

*City Officiousness Alert*

The City is ordering Eric Davies who grows native oak trees on the front lawn of the apartment where he lives to cut them down.........

With credit to Spacing at the above link, this is the offending yard:

1718740597306.png

Notice that the Oaks do not in anyway interfere w/passage on the sidewalk, and that a mowed border is maintained to show that the property is cared for........

Worth saying Eric has been doing this for many years........ and he gives away free oaks to all sorts of worthwhile projects from what he's growing on this lawn.

Sigh.........what foolishness.

Anyone who wants to feel free to email the Mayor about this absurdity please do.

mayor_chow@toronto.ca

Or phone her.

Telephone: 416-397-CITY (2489)

Disclosure here is Eric is a friend of a friend, who I know only in passing, but whose work I am supportive of.

Last edited:
*City Officiousness Alert*

The City is ordering Eric Davies who grows native oak trees on the front lawn of the apartment where he lives to cut them down.........

With credit to Spacing at the above link, this is the offending yard:

View attachment 573639

Notice that the Oaks do not in anyway interfere w/passage on the sidewalk, and that a mowed border is maintained to show that the property is cared for........

Worth saying Eric has been doing this for many years........ and he gives away free oaks to all sorts of worthwhile projects from what he's growing on this lawn.

Sigh.........what foolishness.

Anyone who wants to feel free to email the Mayor about this absurdity please do.

mayor_chow@toronto.ca

Or phone her.

Telephone: 416-397-CITY (2489)

Disclosure here is Eric is a friend of a friend, who I know only in passing, but whose work I am supportive of.

*update*

Late Tuesday, the City relented on the trees............though it still wants the log removed...........

From The Star:

1718891463590.png

Didn't hear from..............???? Ahem....

1718891516411.png

Mistakes can happen, people can be new........ but just own'em, and apologize...........gah!

Also about that log...

1718891600007.png

Credit/Source as per the above

Rebel News has claimed ownership of a cube van in Toronto seen displaying videos of Muslim people in an incident that politicians, community leaders, and police have since called Islamophobic.

In a post on social media Thursday, founder Ezra Levant said the media group is under investigation for running the ads on their company van. The videos, displayed on the billboard and later shared on social media, ask "Is this Yemen? Is this Syria? Is this Iraq?" before showing images of people in prayer. "Wake up Canada. You are under siege," it then reads.

The Toronto Police Service confirmed Wednesday that its Hate Crimes Unit is investigating the incident.

When asked about the investigation at an unrelated news conference on Thursday afternoon, Mayor Olivia Chow said Islamophobic sentiments have no place in Toronto. "Toronto is a city where everyone belongs. Prayers are welcome, whether you want to pray in a synagogue, a mosque or a church — or in a local park or community centre. It's your freedom to do so,” Chow said.

https://www.cp24.com/news/rebel-new...-by-toronto-police-hate-crimes-unit-1.6934757

The city advises anyone visiting the island to be patient, plan to travel during non-peak hours
That’s what I do. I rode my bicycle down to the ferry docks and onto the island two weeks ago, midweek. It was a nice day out. I think a pedestrian bridge would be a mistake - the paywall represented by the ferries keeps the island free of encampments and junkies.

Last edited:

Back