News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Sandra Bussin was a deputy mayor about 20 years ago and Pam McConnell was one a decade ago - though neither was THE deputy mayor. (There is one 'statutory' Deputy Mayor and recently it has been practice to appoint a couple of others to better reflect the City - Tory appointed McKelvey as the Statutory one and in 2028-2022 term he appointed Holyday, Thompson and Bailão as the 'ceremonial ones'. . He was apparently too busy and did not appoint any of the 'non-statutory' ones after the 2022 election. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deputy_Mayor_of_Toronto
My point was not about a woman deputy, but two POC women wearing the sashes at the same time.

See, that wasn't David Miller's strategy; the assumption was, appointing people as mayor allows you to sway their vote.

So you appoint people (who you can remove) whose votes you need to tip the balance. Feckless opportunists are perfect for that.
I would posit that city council (and the world in general) needs less "useful idiots".

Looking at the above:

Carroll is an obvious choice for budget chief, seeing as she did that for Mayor Miller. She knows how to talk to almost everyone on Council and bridge gaps.

Pasternak will bend to power, he might be a good choice from western North York.

I think Cheng would come into the fold.

For all we may collectively think of Bradford, he's an ardent champion of zoning reform and cycling/bikeshare, I think he can probably be useful.

Then you bring in Bravo, you need one of the downtown Councillors flip a coin on Malik or Moise, from Scarborough, Myers is the obvious choice, but Mc Kelvie is very pro-cycling and sidewalks and can move votes, she also has the Exec. Experience.
Ainslie is mushy middle and experience too, but less able to move other councillors.

You need someone from Etobicoke, the obvious choice is Morley.

Current Executive:

1689175316105.png

Looking at some of the names I dropped, they look alot like what's there now, minus Crawford, and you need to add the Mayor's chair back.

An Executive of:

Chow - NDP
Morley - NDP
Bravo -NDP
Carroll - Left- Middle
Cheng - Mushy Middle
Ainslie - Mushy Middle
Pasternak - Decent on cycling, opportunist and right- middle
McKelvie - Right centre, good on cycling/sidewalks
Bradford - Right Centre - good on housing/cycling

Doesn't look terrible to me.

Probably temping to swap out one middler for another NDP, w/Moise/Malik being the likely choices.

That gives good geographic range.

The above

NDP 3
Left-Centre 1
Right-Centre 2
Middle 3

Sex: 6 women - 3 men

Diversity: 6 - Caucasian; 3 PoC - if you swap in Malik/Moise, 5-4, probably (depending on who you swap out)

Looking at the above:

Carroll is an obvious choice for budget chief, seeing as she did that for Mayor Miller. She knows how to talk to almost everyone on Council and bridge gaps.

Pasternak will bend to power, he might be a good choice from western North York.

For all we may collectively think of Bradford, he's an ardent champion of zoning reform and cycling/bikeshare, I think he can probably be useful.

Then you bring in Bravo, you need one of the downtown Councillors flip a coin on Malik or Moise, from Scarborough, Myers is the obvious choice, but Mc Kelvie is very pro-cycling and sidewalks and can move votes, she also has the Exec. Experience.
Ainslie is mushy middle and experience too, but less able to move other councillors.

Current Executive:

View attachment 491768

Looking at some of the names I dropped, they look alot like what's there now, minus Crawford, and you need to add the Mayor's chair back.

An Executive of:

Chow - NDP
Morley - NDP
Bravo -NDP
Carroll - Left- Middle
Cheng - Mushy Middle
Ainslie - Mushy Middle

Doesn't look terrible to me.

Probably temping to swap out one middler for another NDP, w/Moise/Malik being the likely choices.

That gives good geographic range.

The above

NDP 3
Left-Centre 1
Right-Centre 2
Middle 3

Sex: 6 women - 3 men

Diversity: 6 - Caucasian; 3 PoC - if you swap in Malik/Moise, 5-4, probably (depending on who you swap out)
I could live with this. Anything that relegates Holyday to irrelevance...

Looking at the above:

Current Executive:

View attachment 491768

An Executive of:

Chow - NDP
Morley - NDP
Bravo -NDP
Carroll - Left- Middle
Cheng - Mushy Middle
Ainslie - Mushy Middle
I anticipate you'll see someone from the old guard left, like Fletcher or Perks, on Chow's exec.

You'll need a centrist or two to help bring the "mushy middle" into the fold on big council votes. I think Ainslie is a very good bet. He plays well with others and represents Scarborough, which went big for Chow last month.

Chow rode to City Hall with a huge group of fellow "pinko" cyclists for her swearing in ceremony - already setting a positive, progressive tone! I really hope it's backed up with fast tracking tons more cycling infrastructure.

**** you, Don Cherry.

Last edited:
Mike Layton is probably kicking himself for not running again.
I honestly don't think he is. I expect he is keeping his eye on things indeed and may make a run later on when his kids are a bit older. Or then again, he has lived this life forever and may just be enjoying having his evenings and weekends back.

I see this mayoralty as a change of the guard. At least I hope so.

A couple of recent articles in the press were to the effect of “we haven’t seen the last of John Tory” (I believe that was stated generically) and blah blah blah, while I choose to differ.

We need new leaders who reflect the present (and future) city. Olivia’s mayoralty is a very positive turn. I think future leaders will become apparent in this term.

We need new leaders who reflect the present (and future) city. Olivia’s mayoralty is a very positive turn. I think future leaders will become apparent in this term.
Starting with Harris' amalgamation, the Lastman-Miller-RoFo-Tory period will be seen as a lost era for Toronto. By 2040 we'll have ended up with the city we could have had in 2020 if amalgamation had not occurred.

My June 2023 property tax bill was up by 12% over my earlier one. I'm okay with paying more if we can fix the city, but I do worry that Chow will hit me with another double digit increase.
That doesn't sound right. With no changes to assessment values this year (frozen since 2020 for the full 2016 value), everyone's increase should be the same. The exception would be if there was some major property improvement that would increase the value.

Looking at my final bill (issued in May) the total amount was $4,590.62 compared to $4,354.02. This is a 5.4% increase. Below the national inflation rate of 6.8%. The city portion of the bill (as opposed the unchanged provincial education tax) was up 7.2%.

Back