News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I thought there talks underway to move the carriers there or have they have died down?

"The future of the terminal, at 610 Bay St., is uncertain. Talks have been underway for months to move carriers such as Greyhound and Megabus to Union Station, where Metrolinx started construction on a new bus terminal this summer to serve GO Transit."

Upcoming town hall:

Join our senior management team in on June 24, 2019 at the Vaughan City Hall.

Metrolinx Town Halls are an opportunity to ask our leadership about services, transit planning and anything top of mind. While we field your questions at the event, questions can also be submitted online in advance, or during the event via livestream.

Submit a question

Register for the event

This piece of news can be posted in any other thread, but I've chosen this one.
Our new provincial minister of Transportation is Caroline Mulroney.

Another cabinet shuffle:
  • Minister of Transportation and Minister of Francophone Affairs - Caroline Mulroney
  • Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry - John Yakabuski
  • Minister of Environment, Conservation and Parks - Jeff Yurek
The lesson here is if you mess up on Transit (in Ford's eyes) then you get stuck managing trees.

Maybe, and I won't be apologetic, but some of the projects that we were all sure to be cancelled are indeed proceeding

We’ll see. RER and FWLRT look to be genuinely be proceeding, but I’m highly doubtful about the SSE and “Ontario Line”. For the Ontario Line in particular, nobody in the industry seems to think the governments targets are remotely achievable. Those projects seem like a a smokescreen to me; a continuation of the Liberal’s “do nothing but make it seem like we’re doing something” approach we saw with the FWLRT and SELRT.

We’ll see. RER and FWLRT look to be genuinely be proceeding, but I’m highly doubtful about the SSE and “Ontario Line”. For the Ontario Line in particular, nobody in the industry seems to think the governments targets are remotely achievable. Those projects seem like a a smokescreen to me; a continuation of the Liberal’s “do nothing but make it seem like we’re doing something” approach we saw with the FWLRT and SELRT.

Frankly, I suspect a lot of Ford voters outside of Scarborough wanted both of those projects to be dead on arrival. "Promise them everything; spend on them nothing" is the path to win a majority government by grabbing votes in the 416. And the dummies in Scarborough keep falling for it.

Ontario Line will move forward and get built if you ask me, though 2027 is aggressive. 2027 may be achievable if everything runs like a well oiled machine.. but these types of projects tend not to.

Rough timeline to 2027 could look like:

2019-2020 EA
2020-2023 Tunnelling (TTC had issued an RFP to supply tunnel liners prior to the whole thing for the line, presuming they re-use a lot of the relief line alignment, that stretch could start digging very soon while the rest of the corridor is designed)
2020-2022 detailed design & procurement
2023-2027 - construction.

Schedule slip would be likely in the tunneling phase and construction, and the EA would have to be accelerated along with a very rapid procurement phase. If any of those don't happen, the date starts to slip. 2028 or 2029 is more likely.

There was a lot of yelling at tonight’s Metrolinx Town Hall in Vaughan. Most of it had to do with the removal of the 38 bus service to Bolton.

Something I that was the brought up was the comparison with running empty trains on the Barrie Line. Is it true that running mostly empty trains at high frequencies will attract riders? If the demand is there, then service should grow with the demand, not have so much capacity that trains are almost empty. I guess they can’t really run GO Trains on GO Bus routes, so that comparison doesn’t really hold.

There was a lot of yelling at tonight’s Metrolinx Town Hall in Vaughan. Most of it had to do with the removal of the 38 bus service to Bolton.

Something I that was the brought up was the comparison with running empty trains on the Barrie Line. Is it true that running mostly empty trains at high frequencies will attract riders? If the demand is there, then service should grow with the demand, not have so much capacity that trains are almost empty. I guess they can’t really run GO Trains on GO Bus routes, so that comparison doesn’t really hold.

Those yelling at the Metrolinx Town Hall are not "real people" to Doug Ford.

Back