News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I don’t understand this argument. What percentage of Gardiner/Lakeshore traffic is estimated to be sourced from Toronto residents? I’d be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority is from outside the city. And if that’s the case, why not reapportion roadways to make public transit for out-of-city commuters more effective?
Probably still higher than the go bus etc commuters. The situation is a bit different now but in the past it would effectively be telling Toronto tax payers to subsidize the 905 even more.

Having worked in a bunch of places in Toronto over 80% of people I knew lived in the city who drove. Even a lot of people who drive in the core live in the city, the issue is unless you're within a 10 min bus ride of a subway line it's usually going to be faster to drive, you're guaranteed to get a seat as well.

Abssent hard data, this argument can go on forever…and I’m not sure how this distinction matters.
The question is whether to blend transit into congested traffic lanes and dilute its effectiveness, or give it priority use of one lane thereby making it more useful, at a cost of adding to automobile congestion. I very much favour giving transit the upper hand.
There are other ways to achieve a balance between 416 and 905 car users, if that difference matters (to my mind, it doesn’t). But it’s a lame argument that only offers false comfort to frustrated drivers stuck in traffic….”if it weren’t for those awful (905 or 416, take your pick) drivers who don’t deserve to be here, I would have an easier drive”. Exclude either set of drivers, and the road will still fill up.
Somebody has to ride the bus, so let’s make it better for those that choose the better way.

- Paul

I’m not sure how this distinction matters. The question is whether to blend transit into congested traffic lanes and dilute its effectiveness, or give it priority use of one lane thereby making it more useful, at a cost of adding to automobile congestion. I very much favour giving transit the upper hand.

Good point Paul! It’s a good call to refocus on the essential issue and tradeoff.

I think a lot of the backlash is due to the fact that basically every bus on lakeshore or the highway is from outside the city. (GO or regional buses) You're effectively prioritizing the 905 commuters 24/7 over the people who actually live in Toronto.
No it's because removing car lanes is often a very tough sell.

Back