News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Just looking for an update on TTC Presto - do I still have to go to Union and hit the balance checker to "push" my online payments through to the epurse, or is there any chance using the card at a subway station will do this?

Just looking for an update on TTC Presto - do I still have to go to Union and hit the balance checker to "push" my online payments through to the epurse, or is there any chance using the card at a subway station will do this?

I'm using Presto to tap into YRT buses and it seems to be handling auto-reload fine.

Thanks for the reply - however when I last called Presto about this, they said the TTC was specifically blocking this functionality, so it could easily be that whatever works on YRT does not work on TTC.

Thanks for the reply - however when I last called Presto about this, they said the TTC was specifically blocking this functionality, so it could easily be that whatever works on YRT does not work on TTC.
I thought that someone had indicated that this problem was resolved mid-last year sometime.

If you try and it works/doesn't work, report back here!

It does work, I've been using my card for the past four months only on the subway network, and it pushes the payments through once you tap onto the TTC system.

Why would you want to implement 1980s technology that New York is preparing to dump? It's not that dissimilar to the Vancouver technology that they are dumping. I doubt it would be much quicker or cheaper to implement. More importantly, the back-office costs would be huge. TTC is getting a huge deal on the back office costs, particularly the initial set-up cost.

So more cost, about the same time, out-of-date when it's installed. And not compatible with GO or other transit agencies. Why would this be a good thing?

Whoa, cut the guy some slack! With a metrocard in New York City, you can:

- start your 30 day pass on any day of the month;
- start your 7 day weekly pass on any day of the week;
- purchase it instantly from an automated booth in any subway station. The card itself is free;
- have the same card refilled automatically each month, or when the balance approaches zero.

If I had to choose between New York's fare system and Presto, I'd choose New York's 20 year old system hands down. It's easier and cheaper to buy, no penalty if you lose it, and the fare system is far more versatile. That you can use the Presto card on more than one transit system benefits probably 10% or less of all transit riders in the GTA. It's hardly a selling feature at all, particularly since the full fare usually applies on both systems like it did 5 years ago.

I'll change my mind once the $6 purchasing fee is removed, once passes can start any day of the week or month, and once they stop charging the full fare transferring between GO and TTC, or between the TTC and a 905 transit system. For now at least, I don't believe that any of these issues are being considered by the various transit agencies. Until that finally happens though, the only real improvement that Presto has brought is saving us from standing in line to buy new passes or fares every so often.

Whoa, cut the guy some slack! With a metrocard in New York City, you can:

- start your 30 day pass on any day of the month;
- start your 7 day weekly pass on any day of the week;
- purchase it instantly from an automated booth in any subway station. The card itself is free;
- have the same card refilled automatically each month, or when the balance approaches zero.

- Stand in line for 15 minutes while everybody scans their card while boarding the bus

I swear, they could nearly double frequencies on the Q33 just by having all-door boarding without fare verification at the 7th line station stops.

It does work, I've been using my card for the past four months only on the subway network, and it pushes the payments through once you tap onto the TTC system.

Ditto - I use mine every week on both GO and TTC when I'm in Toronto and it definitely reloads on the readers at the Union TTC station.

It didn't work for me at College station :(

Is there a minimum amount of time you need to wait between online paying and tapping?

Is there a minimum amount of time you need to wait between online paying and tapping?
Should work 24-hours after you did it on-line (though I'd think if you did it at 8 pm at night, it would actually load at 8 am ... but no guarantees).

What day/time did you do the online paying, and what time did you tap on at College?

Paid at 15:31 and tapped at 18:45.

Unrelated question: Does the fact that Ottawa will use the "second generation" Presto card mean my Toronto card is useless there?

Paid at 15:31 and tapped at 18:45.
Oh, that explains it. Definitely wouldn't work. You supposed to wait 24-hours. They do all these updates overnight. Should work today though.

Unrelated question: Does the fact that Ottawa will use the "second generation" Presto card mean my Toronto card is useless there?
Very good question. My gut feel is that your Ottawa card would be useless everywhere (or at least some places) here until all the equipment here is upgraded, but the first generation card should work in Ottawa. But I'm only guessing thinking about common sense here ... and common sense often seems to be absent at Presto.

On the presto website it states that cards purchased in Ottawa can not be used in the GTA, and that cards purchased in the GTA can not be used in Ottawa, at this time.

On the presto website it states that cards purchased in Ottawa can not be used in the GTA, and that cards purchased in the GTA can not be used in Ottawa, at this time.
Interesting. Is that a technology issue ... or have they simply not integrated the databases yet.

Interesting. Is that a technology issue ... or have they simply not integrated the databases yet.

I'm guessing it's a tech issue. Ottawa cards are second gen. GTA cards are to be upgraded to this level in a few years. When you go to the PRESTO website, the Ottawa site is segregated from the GTA site. The one big difference I see is the Ottawa users get custom userids and passwords to log in while the GTA uses the card number and a custom 4-digit PIN.

EDIT: from PRESTOCard on Twitter: "The latest version of PRESTO is in Ottawa. When the GTHA switches over, they will be compatible!"

Back