News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm amazed Queen has lagged so far behind the rest of the downtown 'U' stations. I have friends and family in town sometimes who use presto (I have a metropass, myself) and whenever we're at the Eaton Centre they have to decide between digging up tokens--if they even have any, and often they don't even have change so there's no choice--or walking all the way to Dundas instead of getting on at Queen. It's silly to have Toronto's most important mall, a designated tourist attraction, have 3 subway entrances and only 1 has taken presto for years. I hope that Queen at least gets both the north and south entrances equipped with Presto but I find myself worried--a lot of other stations have only one entrance equipped...we'll see soon, I hope.
Metrolinx chose the initial locations based on where the riders were most likely to be coming from to transfer to GO. The assumption is that anyone along King or Queen would be walking to Union - so the downtown loop, was only from Dundas and north, plus Union.

I'd think that TTC had selected the locations for their purposes, Queen would have been early.

Does that mean presto users will have to get a transfer at the front?
Good question.

I'd assume the driver would have to pass you a transfer. I'd assume there'd be reader at the front too. I'd assume that those needing transfers would use the front door.

And I assume those that used the rear, and needed a transfer, would simply tap a second time for the driver to see, but not get charged.

But with all those assumptions will likely make an ass of me!

Nice to see on an older streetcar. Let's hope they roll out faster than they did in SF…those tantalizing smart card readers were everywhere for years before they finally turned them on.

Was chatting with a presto rep at the UP Express Union Station today, she informed me that the TTC is planning to install 2 of the new self-serve presto reload machines in their space at Union--they'll go between some of the existing machines right by the long line of doors to the moat. They will be installing them, according to her, within the next 2 weeks, or at least by the end of June--I walked by and indeed there was obviously some prep work present there. Good to see. Now the only question is how long for the york concourse, other GO stations, and other TTC stations.

Was chatting with a presto rep at the UP Express Union Station today, she informed me that the TTC is planning to install 2 of the new self-serve presto reload machines in their space at Union--they'll go between some of the existing machines right by the long line of doors to the moat. They will be installing them, according to her, within the next 2 weeks, or at least by the end of June--I walked by and indeed there was obviously some prep work present there. Good to see. Now the only question is how long for the york concourse, other GO stations, and other TTC stations.

I twetted Metrolinx a while back, they gave me "later this spring" for York Concourse.

I see readers at King. Tried using it this evening but it wasn't reading my card. Are they active yet?

I see readers at King. Tried using it this evening but it wasn't reading my card. Are they active yet?

I believe they are....are you tapping through your wallet? I only ask because I have used St Andrew twice since it went live and unlike all the readers on GO/Brampton Transit/Mississauga Transit that I have used....I had to take my card out of my wallet both times.

I believe they are....are you tapping through your wallet? I only ask because I have used St Andrew twice since it went live and unlike all the readers on GO/Brampton Transit/Mississauga Transit that I have used....I had to take my card out of my wallet both times.

Open Payment readers will be getting signals from multiple cards (credit, bank, presto, etc.) simultaneously and should be rejecting the tap as being indeterminate.

For most systems I keep the card I want to use (straight credit card more and more) in one flap of my wallet and all the other cards in the other flap, then flip it open when tapping.

That's what I do too. I make sure the Presto card is on the side of my wallet where there is no RFID cards on one side of my wallet (e.g. club cards, health, driver, etc).

The Interac Flash cards tend to interfere with the Presto taps.

Open Payment readers will be getting signals from multiple cards (credit, bank, presto, etc.) simultaneously and should be rejecting the tap as being indeterminate.

For most systems I keep the card I want to use (straight credit card more and more) in one flap of my wallet and all the other cards in the other flap, then flip it open when tapping.

It is on the side of my wallet that has only my health card and drivers license the same side it is on every time i tap (successfully) on GO, BT and MiWay. But at the new TTC station it does not work.

Not a huge deal to take it out.....but I was just suggesting that the other poster might be having the same issue at King....that's all.

Back