News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

TTC should maybe downplay Presto on streetcars etc. while you can't yet buy the frigging fare media when you need to!
Has TTC be doing anything but downplaying it? I've seen no ads other than occasional poster next to Presto machine, an minimal basic instructions on website. The streetcar POP stuff only mentions it as a footnote.

What the hell is this?

Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.23.40 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.51.07 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.51.40 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.51.45 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.23.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.23.40 PM.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 596
  • Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.51.07 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.51.07 PM.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 466
  • Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.51.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.51.40 PM.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 472
  • Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.51.45 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 1.51.45 PM.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 466
No, they've said that paper transfers for Presto will only be required if you are transferring from a streetcar to a bus, in which case you board at the front, and the driver sees and hears the machine recognize your tap then gives you a transfer. Transferring between streetcars and to the subway will, somehow, be done using only the card, no paper transfer. See here
They've definitely updated that page since the last time I looked at it.
What the hell is this?
View attachment 60801
And then this appears to directly contradict that. Perhaps Steve Munro is incorrect and some transfer logic has already been programmed?

Given that this is going live shortly, you would think they would want to rapidly start getting the message out educating people about how this new system works. Otherwise there will be a lot of confused people. Also potentially angry people if their double taps earn them a double fare on a transfer!

The instructions are you only need a transfer if transferring from streetcar to bus. So then if transferring from streetcar to subway (at say King or Dundas) you must have to tap again - as you can't just wave your Presto card at the attendant!

So either the instructions on the TTC website are wrong. Or Steve is wrong.

only one actually (amex) so I guess that is "not many"

I thought it was only them but I wasn't sure, I just don't see it being used by as many people as Apple thinks it will be. Plus apple phones don't seem to be as big her in Canada I see way more android phones around.

I thought it was only them but I wasn't sure, I just don't see it being used by as many people as Apple thinks it will be. Plus apple phones don't seem to be as big her in Canada I see way more android phones around.

And I see an equal amount of iphones compared to Android phones. This report shows a share of 50% Android phones and 38% for iphones which actually lines up with what I see daily.

Given that Presto is supposed to be on all streetcars by December 15, they're doing a poor job of rolling it out and of keeping their drivers informed.

I had to take 5 streetcars on my errands today (King, Spadina and Queen) and not a single one accepted Presto. Luckily I had a lot of coins on me.

When I asked the driver on one, he said "only on the new streetcars". Someone should tell him that all streetcars will accept Presto in less than 2 weeks.

Not sure your point. They haven't activated the Presto units on the old streetcars yet. It's increasingly rare I see an old streetcar that doesn't have a Presto unit.

The driver is correct, they've only activated the new streetcars. I have no doubt the driver has also observed that most of the cars now have Presto units.

Given that Presto is supposed to be on all streetcars by December 15, they're doing a poor job of rolling it out and of keeping their drivers informed.

I had to take 5 streetcars on my errands today (King, Spadina and Queen) and not a single one accepted Presto. Luckily I had a lot of coins on me.

When I asked the driver on one, he said "only on the new streetcars". Someone should tell him that all streetcars will accept Presto in less than 2 weeks.

Where have you seen confirmation that Presto is being activated on the 15th? POP on all routes launches on the 14th, but Presto's activation hasn't been announced yet.

Given that this is going live shortly, you would think they would want to rapidly start getting the message out educating people about how this new system works. Otherwise there will be a lot of confused people. Also potentially angry people if their double taps earn them a double fare on a transfer!
The text on the TTC POP page has been updated.

The page is now very clear on transfers:

PRESTO customers transferring between streetcar and subway, tap twice – once on board the streetcar and once on entering the station. You will only be charged one fare.

So those commenting that TTC transfers won't be enabled, didn't seem to have the correct information.

The question then, is will they be using a transfer table, or just kludging it with a time period?

So that means they have a Presto device in the passage between the Union streetcar loop and the subway?

Back