8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

From yesterday.

1zfihhv.jpg
What routes and directions were that?

It does indeed look like they've just instituted a simple 2-hour transfer, with no restrictions.

Though we've seen an example between 90 and 120 minutes. Has anyone had one over 120 minutes, to see what the limit is? Most agencies are using 120 minutes, but GO used to use 150 minutes, and later extended it to 180 minutes.

One wishes they would just come clean about this, and save who knows how much programming time trying to "improve" on it.

There ought to be a way for TTC to present to Council where they get credit for being innovative and progressive, and get some budget money for the loss of revenue - as that is likely the more cost effective method. This may be a matter of willpower and internal culture.

- Paul

There ought to be a way for TTC to present to Council where they get credit for being innovative and progressive, and get some budget money for the loss of revenue - as that is likely the more cost effective method. This may be a matter of willpower and internal culture.
Given that Metrolinx promised they would and could implement the current TTC transfer system, and TTC estimates it would cost $20 million to go to a 2-hour transfer - then I'd think that if Metrolinx has failed on this, then TTC would be looking for a $20 million a year rebate on their Presto fees.

I can't wait for this to be universal on streetcars so I don't have to carry backup tokens.
I haven't seen a streetcar since Saturday that wasn't active. It must be pretty close to universal right now. Have you seen many?

I haven't seen a streetcar since Saturday that wasn't active. It must be pretty close to universal right now. Have you seen many?

I saw a few ALRVs on the 501 not have it activated this past weekend.

Every 504 car I've been on so far had it activated. Same with 509.

I'd also guess that it'll be 100% by the end of the year.

It must be pretty close to universal right now

I'd also guess that it'll be 100% by the end of the year.

Andy Byford claims end of the year. The 505 has been hit and miss. I used my last token yesterday and I'm mostly hoping that I wont need to buy any more, but it still feels like a bit of a gamble.

from dec 17 press release:

Following rigorous testing, PRESTO devices are now live on more than 100 of the TTC's legacy streetcar fleet, with the remaining streetcars coming online by the end of this year.

Andy Byford claims end of the year. The 505 has been hit and miss. I used my last token yesterday and I'm mostly hoping that I wont need to buy any more, but it still feels like a bit of a gamble.

from dec 17 press release:
100 or so on December 17....and they also said that they are adding 10-15 to that per day......so, even if that was limited to work days....they would be at 130 - 145 by now out of the 230....the odds of needing a token to ride a streetcar are shrinking all the time.

Given that Metrolinx promised they would and could implement the current TTC transfer system, and TTC estimates it would cost $20 million to go to a 2-hour transfer - then I'd think that if Metrolinx has failed on this, then TTC would be looking for a $20 million a year rebate on their Presto fees.

True, this. And if so, ML should be coughing up the cash. I wonder what the actual cost of this functionality is. It isn't static, either....the transfer rules will have to be maintained as routes change. Once this little 'secret' gets out, you can be sure people will be using it. If this ends up as an embarrassing headline in the newspaper, TTC and ML have made their bed. Popcorn, please....

- Paul

maybe it is not a mistake...maybe it is a controlled experiment to try and see what the true cost is.....are, for example, the lost return fares made up by people making more of these short return trips, likely at off peak hours when there is capacity, to do errands as opposed to walking to avoid a fare.....it could be a test to figure out how accurate their modeling on this subject is.

Last edited:
I was wondering about the impact today, as I did a streetcar to subway run to College today, went to an appointment and then returned home. I just managed to get everything done within the two hour window, so I only paid one fare, whereas normally it would have cost me two. So, the TTC has lost a fare. However, I often would have walked home, and I regularly walk to do errands. So, in the long run, will I end up using the TTC more because of the two hour window and eventually spend more money with them than in the past or will they get less of my money because I can often do errands within two hours?

Or, should I be going after the TTC for the impacts to my health because I'll walk less???

Reactions: PL1
TOareaFan, That's quite possible, especially if they go ahead with a daypass style cap on daily fares that could make the added usage more attractive.
If they are dragging their feet to avoid signing up for expensive programming, and the hard position helps them negotiate with ML, good on them.

- Paul

Back