News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Was a press conference really necessary for this?

The media loves them because now it's all about stuffing their websites / 24 hour news stations with endless repeated content.

CBC probably spun this into 6 stories.

"TTC to launch PRESTO Thursday"
"PRESTO to launch today on streetcars"
"PRESTO launch covered live."
"PRESTO launched on streetcars."
"Twitter users tweet about new PRESTO readers."
"Del Duca comments on future of PRESTO"

I get it...............so if you just use TTC service with your Presto, your monthly bill will never be higher than a Metropass.

Now that makes sense and now I can see the advantages.

From this link:

Which transit agencies offer weekly or monthly passes, and when can I buy them?

Brampton Transit
Weekly & Monthly Monthly:14 days prior to end of month
Weekly: Next week's pass available Wednesday until following Tuesday​

Durham Region Transit
Monthly Current month's passes are available until 17 days prior the end of the month. Next month's passes go on sale 10 days prior the end of the month.
Hamilton Street Railway
Monthly & Seniors Annual. HSR has a Frequent Rider Discount program. 15 days prior to end of month
Oakville Transit
Monthly. Oakville has a Frequent Rider Discount program. 19 days prior to the end of the month
OC Transpo
Monthly 14 days prior to end of the month​

York Region
Monthly 14 days prior to end of monthy​

I get it...............so if you just use TTC service with your Presto, your monthly bill will never be higher than a Metropass.

Now that makes sense and now I can see the advantages.
They've said they'll start daily rate capping in 2016. But it's not clear how monthly will work. There may be a cap on it ... but you also may have to load a weekly or monthly pass onto it. Or with something like MDP (which I use currently), simply have a subscription, that will upload your new pass automatically, rather than mailing you a new pass by Canada Post every month.

They've said they'll start daily rate capping in 2016. But it's not clear how monthly will work. There may be a cap on it ... but you also may have to load a weekly or monthly pass onto it. Or with something like MDP (which I use currently), simply have a subscription, that will upload your new pass automatically, rather than mailing you a new pass by Canada Post every month.

They've mulled on it before but I don't understand why they're still complicating a simple procedure...just do what mmo subscriptions do and make a 7/30 day pass with option to auto renew.... No need to worry about dates, months and whatnot. The capability is already built in and will for sure save significant time and money both for metrolinx and the customer

From what I've read (and the text on Presto/transfers has not always been consistent), capping will only be implemented on a per-day basis for now. That is, you won't ever pay more than the day-pass rate if you take it that many times in a day. I don't recall seeing the TTC or Metrolinx saying anything about monthly capping yet.

From what I've read (and the text on Presto/transfers has not always been consistent), capping will only be implemented on a per-day basis for now. That is, you won't ever pay more than the day-pass rate if you take it that many times in a day. I don't recall seeing the TTC or Metrolinx saying anything about monthly capping yet.

Sounds probable. They shouldn't code in Metropasses until Council/Metrolinx set firm policy on how fares and integration will work or they will just have to pay consultants to go back and redo most of it from scratch.

Last edited:

I saw this post earlier claiming that Byford said that monthly capping will happen,

Just confirming what most would assume:
From TTC town hall (on TTC's youtube) at ~1:15:00

Byford confirms Presto will be capped at what you would've paid for a Metropass.

But the December board meeting report on fares did not mention this.

I saw this post earlier claiming that Byford said that monthly capping will happen,
Byford confirms Presto will be capped at what you would've paid for a Metropass.

Keep in mind, that's possibly just a confirmation that a Metropass on Presto will cost no more than a non-Presto Metropass. We'll want to hear more direct language to come to any further conclusions.

Curiosity got the best of me tonight and I tapped my AppleWatch with ApplePay on a PRESTO terminal. It made the "Success" sound that it does with my PRESTO card but because nothing shows on the PRESTO terminal screen, I don't know what it did. I guess I'll find out when my statement comes in.

So is using Presto with a credit card equivalent to a cash care? And I'm assuming you can't get student/senior rates or loyalty rewards when using a credit card.

Let us know if it worked :)

I doubt that it would work even if it charged my card. How would a POP inspector verify that I paid my fare? The AppleWatch isn't a PRESTO card and the credit card number is hidden from payment terminals; each tap generates a new number.

So is using Presto with a credit card equivalent to a cash care? And I'm assuming you can't get student/senior rates or loyalty rewards when using a credit card.
No, it's equivalent to a token fare. To get student/senior rates, you have to get it set up that way in person. You can't do it online.

Back