News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Good grief, it's not like I've received most of my other receipts yet either. Particularly the one for contributing to the group RRSP from January 1 to February 29, 2016.

You should have. No firms do a total January 1 to February 29 receipt anymore. They split it into segments, usually January 1 to January 30, Februuary 1 to February 15, then they issue receipts daily through the end of February. But this isn't a receipt, it's a simple transaction statement. They actually go out of their way to make it NOT a tax document, not even including your name on it. To require two months to get that out is something I would expect in the 1980's. You can get annual transaction statements from banks on the first business day of January.

You should have. No firms do a total January 1 to February 29 receipt anymore. They split it into segments, usually January 1 to January 30, Februuary 1 to February 15, then they issue receipts daily through the end of February. But this isn't a receipt, it's a simple transaction statement. They actually go out of their way to make it NOT a tax document, not even including your name on it. To require two months to get that out is something I would expect in the 1980's. You can get annual transaction statements from banks on the first business day of January.
two separate institutions I deal with issue separate receipts for Jan 1 to end of February RRSP contributions.

You should have. No firms do a total January 1 to February 29 receipt anymore. They split it into segments, usually January 1 to January 30, Februuary 1 to February 15, then they issue receipts daily through the end of February.
Every year for decades, I receive a single Sun Life (formerly Clarica, formerly Mutual Group) tax form in early March with bi-weekly contributions up to the end of February.

The statement that "no firms do a total January 1 to February 29 receipt anymore" is incorrect.

Every year for decades, I receive a single Sun Life (formerly Clarica, formerly Mutual Group) tax form in early March with bi-weekly contributions up to the end of February.

The statement that "no firms do a total January 1 to February 29 receipt anymore" is incorrect.

I'm not surprised an insurance co. would continue to go full cheapskate and provide 1980's service to its clients since most of them are probably accustomed to mediocrity when they use their products. Back in the world where the majority of registered investments reside that's a farcical joke. When I worked at a mutual fund company in 2005 it was already considered standard to have contribution receipts available for download on the website within 12 hours of the contribution for the entirety of the first 60 days. Anything less that that was an embarrassment of customer service that other firms would mock in their advertising.

But, again, it's irrelevant. This has nothing to do with RRSP contributions in the bizarro 60 day rule or tax slips. It's a straight up transaction statement. It should be out days after the month end. They are cheap-skating out like your insurance DC plan administrator because they know you will accept their pathetic mediocrity and the laughable standards they set 35 years ago.

I'm not surprised an insurance co. would continue to go full cheapskate and provide 1980's service to its clients since most of them are probably accustomed to mediocrity when they use their products.
Why would anyone want to have to deal with extra receipts?

The point is that you categorically stated that no firm would do this. After making such a complete wrong statement, I'd expect you to admit your ignorance, rather than making further comments.

The bottom line, is that they must provide receipts by March 1st, and they do. By doing it as late as possible, they make it possible for people to register their cards later than would otherwise be possible.

I'm still getting plenty of slips from others. Just got a T5 today. I don't think I've got the one from BMO at all yet. But perhaps you'd include Banks in the same category as insurance companies. :) And T3s don't even have to be distributed until the end of March - and I always used to get mind well into March.

Complaining about Presto not providing slips earlier is just unnecessary.

Now, perhaps complain that the slips are hard to interpret.

Or no one seems to understand what the 32-day rule means. (I was reading it again recently, and I wonder if one could interpret it as once the card meets the 32-day rule for any part of the year, you can claim the entire year - which would match what Revenue Canada did to one poster above, when they were audited (i.e. increased their refund).

Yet another new payment method that certainly won't be available this summer to Presto users. C'mon Metrolinx get your act together...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mastercard-selfie-pay-1.3459740
What's your basis for that statement? If it's only for on-line payments, and it's implemented by Mastercard, then, it's not really up to Presto is it?

Yet another new payment method that certainly won't be available this summer to Presto users. C'mon Metrolinx get your act together...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mastercard-selfie-pay-1.3459740

I'm not sure how that's relevant in any way whatsoever to Presto - the article says: "Canadian MasterCard holders with smartphones will be able to pay for their online purchases by taking a selfie or stamping their fingerprint on the screen instead of punching in a pin or a password".

Just so I'm understanding you right, are you saying before tapping on a streetcar, subway turnstile, or GO/UPX Presto terminal, you should also have to pull out your phone and take a picture or provide a fingerprint? Why on Earth would you make commuters have to do that? That will massively slow down already-heavy passenger flow at transit stations and on vehicles. That makes no sense.

Got off at Bay Station for the first time in a few months and read a notice that work was proceeding to install Presto for the beginning of May

Do-it! Do-it! Do-it!

I took a peak threw the crack between the doors and saw nothing but bare floors but I would guess any time now they will start bring them in. It wouldn't surprise me if they were in service for Monday. But I'll keep looking and I always have my phone on me

I took a peak threw the crack between the doors and saw nothing but bare floors but I would guess any time now they will start bring them in. It wouldn't surprise me if they were in service for Monday. But I'll keep looking and I always have my phone on me
I'd be surprised. They said early March, and when I asked while waiting for the streetcar a couple of weeks ago, they thought it would be 8 weeks total.

I'd be surprised. They said early March, and when I asked while waiting for the streetcar a couple of weeks ago, they thought it would be 8 weeks total.
March is on Tuesday though and it looks lime they have been clearing away a lot of the supplies for fixing the floor the past few day there isn't nearly as much in the area behind the stairs.

Back