News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This is the first time tokens has intentionally been discontinued at any subway entrance I know of.
They've already done the same at Main Station. The new gates don't take tokens. But there's been a second attendant with a fare box, every time I've been there - including the middle of the night. And of course you can use tokens at the ticket counter.

Does the TTC have a timeline for when they think the buses will be Presto equipped? I've yet to see a bus with any equipment installed and it is supposedly going to be rolled out by year's end.

Does the TTC have a timeline for when they think the buses will be Presto equipped? I've yet to see a bus with any equipment installed and it is supposedly going to be rolled out by year's end.

it's being done one yard at a time once all the buses assigned to a yard have them they will be active for all the routes they serve from that yard.

I will believe it when I see it. The one guy they have installing the Presto machines in the subways must be on break.

If you read through this thread there are multiple pictures of Presto readers installed on various TTC buses. I appreciate skepticism regarding the TTC's Presto rollout but that's just being a little ridiculous - and their recent rate of progress with the faregates and the pace at which stations are scheduled to receive them, plus the fact that the streetcar rollout was on schedule and went off fairly smoothly, give me little reason to doubt the 12/31/16 date for buses.

The Presto progress since the new date announcements two years ago (streetcars by end 2015, subway & buses by end 2016) has finally been much more impressive. After that newer announcement two years ago, they were on time deploying to all streetcars by end of 2015.

Based on the on-time TTC Presto report card for 2015, I no longer have doubt for TTC on-time deploy to the rest of the system by end of 2016. They *seem* to be deploying with different crews. One crew rips things up, another tech-certified crew installs, etc. Sometimes a lull between the crews but several station turnstiles are currently ripped up.

The Presto progress since the new date announcements two years ago (streetcars by end 2015, subway & buses by end 2016) has finally been much more impressive. After that newer announcement two years ago, they were on time deploying to all streetcars by end of 2015.

Based on the on-time TTC Presto report card for 2015, I no longer have doubt for TTC on-time deploy to the rest of the system by end of 2016. They *seem* to be deploying with different crews. One crew rips things up, another tech-certified crew installs, etc. Sometimes a lull between the crews but several station turnstiles are currently ripped up.

The TTC's overall progress with Presto has been utterly appalling. I understand that they're much larger than the other regional systems that have Presto, but come on. And the whole thing about wanting to wait for the Gen 2 readers...I'm sorry, but I've been using Presto on GO, YRT, MiWay, and HSR (I know it's available on many others too) with Gen 1 and I've never had even the slightest problem with it nor found it wanting in any way.

According to Wikipedia, by August 2011 GO had Presto at every rail station (save for St. Catharines, Niagara Falls, Guelph, Kitchener, and Allandale--not sure if all of those were even open then) and on all of their buses. Oakville, Burlington, MiWay, Brampton, HSR, and YRT also all had it system-wide; the vast majority of them had concession fares and GO co-fares, and I know that GO at least had monthly capping, not sure about caps/passes on the others as of that date. The TTC had it at 11 stations, and on 0 streetcars/buses. That's pathetic.

From September 2011 until 2015 when the Pan-Am push happened, which is more than 3 years, the TTC added 3 more subway stations, and the LFLRVs on 510. The lack of progress was astounding. OC Transpo, albeit with issues, and Durham added Presto in that time to their entire networks.

Since then, of course, in 2015, 11 more stations got Presto and many of them got the Self-Service Reload Kiosks, plus the entire streetcar network got Presto in a pretty smooth rollout. And that 12/31/2015 date for streetcars had, I believe, been moved up by a year (was supposed to be streetcars by end of 16, buses/subway stations end of 17, if I recall correctly), and most streetcars even had it earlier in December than the 31st. We've seen the readers on many different types of buses in testing since then, and I see no reason to expect they'll run into problems with it on buses if it works on streetcars--not really a significant difference that I know of, there, for getting Presto working. Number of vehicles, maybe, but nothing fundamental per-vehicle.

But the fact that there was a 3-year period where the TTC did basically nothing, while almost all of the other operators in the GTHA had near-100% coverage, is astounding. Presto will have been around in a substantial manner for ~5.5 years by the time the TTC has it at all stations/vehicles, so I certainly hope they finish this year...

Edit: regarding the Gen 2 Presto thing, my understanding was that the TTC's main reason for wanting it was compatability with open payments, i.e. tapping a debit or credit card right on the same Presto reader to pay a fare. However, they had those machines at College and at Dundas for a few months as a pilot a couple of years ago, and they haven't been seen since. In fact, the LFLRV onboard and offboard ticket vending machines have debit/credit tap payment, so it seems doubtful that the TTC will go through the trouble of duplicating that feature on the Presto readers that are about 2 feet away onboard the car. And subway collectors are going to take tap debit/credit for single rides soon, then they're supposed to have SRVMs in the stations too once the collectors are gone...so at this point, what did they even gain by waiting for Gen 2?

You can thank politics for the early years of stagnation, as with many of the projects that shouldve been up by now.
Sure there were concerns about open payment and all that, but TTC failed to realize/didn't care about that their inaction and selfish notions
cost the rest of the GTA, much more than the slight inconvenience of not being able to pay with a credit/debit card. Fortunately its been slowly
picking up speed but as megaton said, shouldve happened years earlier. Then again metrolinx is also partly to blame as well for trying to reinvent the wheel by developing an in house
card while they couldve saved millions easily through partnership with established companies (Octopus/Oyster etc)

Alos all of the other transit agencies in the GTHA are much smaller then the TTC and were easier to add Presto too. Go Transit simply had to add standalone readers to platforms. All the others either did the same or added them to the buss fleet. The TTC had to either retrofit Preto to aging turnstiles or find a new fare gate. Then there was also the cost and who pays for what with the installation of Presto.

The TTC's overall progress with Presto has been utterly appalling. I understand that they're much larger than the other regional systems that have Presto, but come on.
How is it appalling? They are implementing it faster than other agencies.

You forget that TTC didn't sign onto Presto until many years after all the other agencies that use it. TTC only signed on, only 3.5 years ago.

Metrolinx initally tried to screw TTC for hundreds of millions of dollars. You only have to look at what TTC is paying Metrolinx (over 5% of Presto) compared to what they offered smaller agencies (Ottawa is only paying 2%).

You have to wonder how bad the original financial terms were that TTC wisely rejected.

Alos all of the other transit agencies in the GTHA are much smaller then the TTC and were easier to add Presto too. Go Transit simply had to add standalone readers to platforms. All the others either did the same or added them to the buss fleet. The TTC had to either retrofit Preto to aging turnstiles or find a new fare gate. Then there was also the cost and who pays for what with the installation of Presto.

IMO implementation is really not much of a significant factor as technical complexity is not much harder than installing the current metropass readers in a station. They had the gen 1 readers at finch, union and other stations for years so it wouldnt have been any more difficult to install. I think TTC is overcomplicating things with the all door presto for buses though. They couldve saved much time and money by simply having it at the front doors. Now they will have to deal with future technical issues and risks of fare evasion/lost revenue. In terms of paying, I'm sure that they wouldnt have had much problem with negotiating the costs had they been more enthusiastic about the concept. They were trying to pull as many excuses out of their hats in order to delay the inevitable as long as possible before they are forced to accept it.

Back